Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

http://www.neowin.ne...81-will-be-free 8.1 will be free and ... drum roll... it will be downloaded from the Windows Store... and not Windows Update???? (I think)... in that case... WTF? ...and where is my aero glass?!

To be picky ;) Tamy Reller seemingly said that it will "come from the Windows Store", and already at least two people on that thread protested about the fact that there is NO windows Store in the neighbourhood and that they have to drive to the Windwos Store to get the update:

There are no Windows Stores where I live. I hope other options to get this are available.
No download from the official Microsoft Update site? You mean I have to drive to a Windows Store to get this update? Just one more reason to avoid Windows-8--most especially for us laptop and desktop users.

Now, questions are::

1. In which place a driving license is issued to 6 years old? :ph34r:
  2. Cannot they ask their mom or dad to have the 8.1 update for Christmas? (assuming that they are already grown up enough to not believing in SantaClaus anymore ) :unsure:

jaclaz

Wait, I was assuming it would come from the DIGITAL Windows Store inside Windows and not from Windows Update. Are they suggesting it will come only to PHYSICAL Windows Store?! That is worse than I thought! *LOL*

To be picky ;) Tamy Reller seemingly said that it will "come from the Windows Store", and already at least two people on that thread protested about the fact that there is NO windows Store in the neighbourhood and that they have to drive to the Windwos Store to get the update:

At first I thought they were having a go at the NeoWhiners over the typical confusing blend of terminology - Windows Store and Microsoft Store, one is a tile on Metro ( and the gateway to walled garden ) and the other is brick and mortar.

But maybe I was wrong and they were really just confused. :lol:

Either way, it's bad for Microsoft. Training a bunch of tile monkeys that cannot figure it out is just as bad as re-using naming and terms causing confusion that jokesters will exploit.

Well, the issue is that on this the good guys at MS cannot really copy anything from the guys @Apple.

I mean, Apple has:

Apple Store <- physical store, (retail outlet)

Apple Store <- place on the 'net from which you can download -mainly - apps

So, on the "other side", there could be:

Windows Store <- physical store, (retail outlet)

Windows Store <- place on the 'net from which you can download - mainly - hot air ;)

AND that would cause a trademark issue not completely unlike the Metro one :ph34r: :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIND_(Italy)

jaclaz

More articles about the Windows 8 Blew announcement mentioned above by MagicAndre1981.

Confirmed: Windows 8.1 is Windows Blue, free upgrade due later this year ( TechSpot 2013-05-14 )

Microsoft: Windows Blue to be named Windows 8.1, will be free ( NeoWin 2013-05-14 )

Microsoft: Windows 8.1 is an update, not a service pack ( NeoWin 2013-05-14 )

Windows 8.1, formerly known as Windows Blue, will be a free update ( PC Gamer 2013-05-14 )

Microsoft: YES! You can have your desktop back again for FREE! ( UK Register 2013-05-14 )

In the comments there are so many arguments and debates over terminology! is it a service pack? Is it an update? Do tile-pressing MetroTards even need to know the difference? No.

But ... this time Microsoft has chosen once again to be different just for the sake of change. They are apparently officially incrementing the kernel version ( ya, like they are doing work there that merits this ). From earlier speculation ...

Well, why call it W8 anyway?
Maybe we should just call them by their real names which might reset expectations accordingly ...
Real Name ---- Marketing
Windows 5.0 ... Windows 2000
Windows 5.1 ... Windows XP
Windows 5.2 ... Windows XP-64
Windows 6.0 ... Windows Vista
Windows 6.1 ... Windows 7
Windows 6.2 ... Windows 8 ... or even better: ... W8 for 9 ... W849! :yes:(patent pending)
Perhaps Microsoft is merely performing some rudimentary arithmetic ...
Windows 6.1 ... 6 + 1 = 7
Windows 6.2 ... 6 + 2 = 8
.. for those customers that require things simple and easy? :whistle:
Now with our updated information ...
Windows 6.1 ... 6 + 1.0 = 7
Windows 6.2 ... 6 + 2.0 = 8
Windows 6.3 ... 6 + 2.1 = 8.1 ... ( they added Windows 2.1 to Vista! :lol: )
Therefore ... Vista + Windows 2.1 = Windows 8 Blew rotflmao.gif
Of course, any sensible person would have pressed for ...
Windows 6.2.1 ... or ... 6.21
It's all kind of a moot point since they botched it all up with the "Windows 7" marketing term. I mean, I understand that Vista got a point update to 6.0 from 5.x, but the marketing nonsense of "Windows 7" is ridiculous. I think it demonstrates the siege mentality that Microsoft began not long after Vista and they believed that they could just wish the fail away using marketing nonsense. However, dropping sensible use of numbers by a software company that is supposed to respect numbers is a very bad sign. Any Softies that still care at all about Microsoft should do some research into what happened at that point in time, by those in management that green-lit this break in tradition and common sense. It is clearly when things went right off the rails, apparently forever.

So officially, what we got here is a point update ( 6.2 to 6.3 ) which ironically mirrors the Vista to 7 ( 6.0 to 6.1 ) which was the big "fix" to shut everybody up about the Vista fiasco. "Hey we listened!"

Hey, it's either that, or in addition to their certifiable Apple-envy and Google-envy they have perhaps developed a case of Firefox-envy and have thrown the version conventions to the four winds forever.

So barring any last minute changes, our table of consumer releases looks like this now ...

Real Name ---- Marketing

Windows 5.0 ... Windows 2000

Windows 5.1 ... Windows XP

Windows 5.2 ... Windows XP-64

Windows 6.0 ... Windows Vista

Windows 6.1 ... Windows 7

Windows 6.2 ... Windows 8

Windows 6.3 ... Windows 8 Blew

So we can pretty much add this normally simple task of naming the freaking operating system, to the growing list of Microsoft FUBAR decisions. No-one can possibly justify bumping the kernel as a point upgrade knowing what we know today. Lipstick-on-a-pig release.

P.S. but I will point out that it apparently will be free, so that is a surprisingly sensible decision. They dodged a bullet for once.

EDIT: added article

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Now, questions are::

1. In which place a driving license is issued to 6 years old? :ph34r:
  2. Cannot they ask their mom or dad to have the 8.1 update for Christmas? (assuming that they are already grown up enough to not believing in SantaClaus anymore ) :unsure:

Wait a minute -- you mean to say that there is no Santa Claus?????? Oooohhhh, nooooo!!! :o:(

--JorgeA

Dell cuts price of Windows RT XPS 10 tablet to $300 ( NeoWin 2013-05-15 )

The price is just about right - for 6 months ago. :lol: Actually if it was maybe $250 and that was Surface RT it would be competitive. The Dell should probably be closer to $199 to compete now. But hey, this is still the ReTard Edition, so who really wants it anyway?

Windows Phone doubles global marketshare, but still far behind ( NeoWin 2013-05-14 )

Wait what? Read that lying headline again and look at the actual charts here ...

TvqCPwu.jpg

rLKN8CB.jpg

zZPSTId.jpg

( source here )

Math is supposed to be easy in the age of computers! Table-3 has all Microsoft at 2.9% ( :lol: ) which is up from 1.9% one year ago. Jeez. Ironically it is still behind Blackberry ( :lol: ) too. Ouch. Note: Gartner is not clear if that "1Q13 Market Share (%)" is total cumulative or merely for that quarter. Presumably that is current total marketshare ( in their estimation ).

If I were in the phone division I would really be ticked off. First they kill off the previous platform, then Sinofsky Windows div steal the interface and all their marketing money, and finally force it onto all computers generating astounding amounts of anger against Metro and now the platform is teetering on the brink of oblivion. Ironically, this is the worst possible thing that could have happened because this platform is where it belonged all the time.

EDIT: typo

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Well, the issue is that on this the good guys at MS cannot really copy anything from the guys @Apple.

I mean, Apple has:

Apple Store <- physical store, (retail outlet)

Apple Store <- place on the 'net from which you can download -mainly - apps

Windows Store <- place on the 'net from which you can download - mainly - hot air ;)

AND that would cause a trademark issue not completely unlike the Metro one :ph34r: :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIND_(Italy)

jaclaz

rotflmao.gif Well done!

Anyway, as I mentioned, you could use other browsers and use skinning to make it exactly look like IE 8 but please, don't complain that certain sites do not work if you are using old browsers like IE 6 or IE 8.

Just to be clear on this point: I wasn't complaining, I was reporting behavior that looked strange to me. If the result I got with the browser that I'm using is actually an expected result, then so be it.

--JorgeA

Anyway, as I mentioned, you could use other browsers and use skinning to make it exactly look like IE 8 but please, don't complain that certain sites do not work if you are using old browsers like IE 6 or IE 8.

Just to be clear on this point: I wasn't complaining, I was reporting behavior that looked strange to me. If the result I got with the browser that I'm using is actually an expected result, then so be it.

--JorgeA

A funny side note, out of thousands of unique visitors, only 32 is using IE8 and 2 using IE6 and 7 using IE7. *lol*

Average visit duration is 6.45 minutes which is rather high. :D

Edited by ciHnoN

LOL

--JorgeA

ok, Blue will be released as 8.1 later this year via the Windows Store and it will be free for all Win8 users.

The preview will be released on 26th June:

We will also be making a public preview of Windows 8.1 available starting on June 26, timed with the Build developer conference in San Francisco. The preview will be available for Windows 8 and Windows RT.

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/05/14/windows-keeps-getting-better.aspx

Thanks, Andre.

I'm curious to see what 8.1 actually contains, out of all the things people have speculated that it will include.

--JorgeA