Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Interesting article, which hopefully will still be viewable when you click on it:

Microsoft Concedes Windows 8 Misses Expectations

"Almost everybody in the tech industry already knows the [Windows 8] experience is suboptimal," said Patrick Moorhead, president of research firm Moor Insights & Strategy. "Microsoft was the last one…in the room to realize this was the case."
The hiccups for Windows 8, however, have spotlighted the sometimes-awkward fit when software is grafted onto both a tablet computer used for watching movies and surfing the Web, and on a 27-inch desktop computer primarily for workplace functions.

Microsoft rival Apple Inc. has different software for tablets and for computers, believing the tablet is a separate computing category altogether and it shouldn't try to be a PC in a different guise.

Apple, for all its own faults, has shown more sense than Microsoft in this regard.

--JorgeA

Ditto for this one:

The Quest for a Third Mobile Platform

"If Microsoft with almost unlimited resources can't break in, it's going to make someone think twice," said Gartner analyst Hugues de la Vergne.
[emphasis added]

To history buffs, Microsoft's efforts to make it in the mobile arena may bring to mind Germany's ambitions early in the last century to compete on the high seas with the Royal Navy.

--JorgeA

Neowin: H8ters are dangerous. REALLY dangerous:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1148176-solution-to-get-rid-windows-8-haters/page__view__findpost__p__595656888´

That is despite a trainload of data showing that ModernUI (and the applications thereof) are just as usable without touch.

It's more like a thimbleful of data, no? In any case, an example of GIGO that's easily contradicted by time-and-motion analysis, as we've set forth in this thread over the last year. @xpclient would surely have a trainload of things to say on the subject. :)

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

EDIT: Although, personally I don't think it is being "shills" or just "fools following other fools". It is more than that. The rotting corporate culture at Microsoft and their YES-men in Channel 9 is a kind of sickness, a psychotic illness most likely. If they would have the power, they would dictate what color your walls in your room would have, of course, all playskool colors. Most of them are absolutely psychotic deranged people, dictating even smallest things like a theme for your desktop on people AND going out of their way to REMOVE the option for anyone who wanted Aero Glass theme. Attacking anyone who comes up with a critique or wanting to have a option for other themes or colors. Nothing less than a psychotic illness could cause such behaviour. These are the kind of people who would gladly work at Nazi death camps. I'm sure of it. These kind of people are highly dangerous to society as a whole, especielly if they come into power, anywhere, be it government or just a theme-designer at Microsoft. They should be studied and there should be books written about them to help educate others and perhaps some day we could find a preventive measure on how to deal with a psychotic illness like this, which makes the people having this illness feel the urge to force their views and even their TASTE of colors on to others.

Spot on. A lot of people seem to have a "herd instinct" that induces them to join and cheerlead for stuff that they might not support were it not for the fact that other people are supporting it. Then there are the servile minds who acquiesce to whatever "the powers that be" (in this case, Microsoft) decree ought to be the case. Not just follow along, but actually embrace it enthusiastically. And then there are those who are happy to try to impose this stuff on the rest of us.

Lastly, yes of course there are those who do find that they simply prefer the workings of Windows 8, Metro, the Cloud, software subscriptions and other things that we critique here. If I may be allowed a little pedantic quote here ;) ... de gustibus non est disputandum.

--JorgeA

EDIT: Although, personally I don't think it is being "shills" or just "fools following other fools". It is more than that. The rotting corporate culture at Microsoft and their YES-men in Channel 9 is a kind of sickness, a psychotic illness most likely. If they would have the power, they would dictate what color your walls in your room would have, of course, all playskool colors. Most of them are absolutely psychotic deranged people, dictating even smallest things like a theme for your desktop on people AND going out of their way to REMOVE the option for anyone who wanted Aero Glass theme. Attacking anyone who comes up with a critique or wanting to have a option for other themes or colors. Nothing less than a psychotic illness could cause such behaviour. These are the kind of people who would gladly work at Nazi death camps. I'm sure of it. These kind of people are highly dangerous to society as a whole, especielly if they come into power, anywhere, be it government or just a theme-designer at Microsoft. They should be studied and there should be books written about them to help educate others and perhaps some day we could find a preventive measure on how to deal with a psychotic illness like this, which makes the people having this illness feel the urge to force their views and even their TASTE of colors on to others.

Spot on. A lot of people seem to have a "herd instinct" that induces them to join and cheerlead for stuff that they might not support were it not for the fact that other people are supporting it. Then there are the servile minds who acquiesce to whatever "the powers that be" (in this case, Microsoft) decree ought to be the case. Not just follow along, but actually embrace it enthusiastically. And then there are those who are happy to try to impose this stuff on the rest of us.

Lastly, yes of course there are those who do find that they simply prefer the workings of Windows 8, Metro, the Cloud, software subscriptions and other things that we critique here. If I may be allowed a little pedantic quote here ;) ... de gustibus non est disputandum.

--JorgeA

You know, what you say reminds of this story:

(PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT I AM NOT RELIGOUS BUT I FIND THIS STORY VERY EERIE, INTERESTING AND SOMEHOW VERY SIMILAR FOR THIS SPECIFIC SITUATION SO WHEN YOU SEE THE VIDEO, PLEASE TRY TO FILTER OUT THE RELIGOUS STUFF AND CONCENTRATE ON THE STORY ITSELF, VERY INTERESTING STORY.)

I find that story very interesting, perhaps in the old days, that was the way they explained the behaviour of "metrotards and shills"... OR perhaps it IS the Devil behind all this behaviour? :huh:

Stuff like this blow my mind pondering all night. :lol:

Moral of the story, they are empty shells, controlled by whatever entity who chooses to control them, just like sock puppets.

spn_names.png

Edited by ciHnoN

Can someone provide a translation of a few key sentences here?

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/05/06/windows-8-at-6-months-q-amp-a-with-tami-reller.aspx

Brandon LeBlanc: There’s been a lot of speculation about Windows Blue. What can you tell me about it?

Tami Reller:

1. Windows Blue is a codename for an update that will be available later this year, building on the bold vision set forward with Windows 8 to deliver the next generation of tablets and PCs.
  2. It will deliver the latest new innovations across an increasingly broad array of form factors of all sizes, display, battery life and performance, while creating new opportunities for our ecosystem.
  3. It will provide more options for businesses, and give consumers more options for work and play.
  4. The Windows Blue update is also an opportunity for us to respond to the customer feedback that we’ve been closely listening to since the launch of Windows 8 and Windows RT.
  5. From a company-wide perspective, Windows Blue is part of a broader effort to advance our devices and services for Microsoft.

I read 'em as:

1. Noone thought that SP1 was a suitable name, so we decided to call the update Windows Blue for a change, <some meaningless mumble-jumble>.
  2. <some meaningless mumble-jumble>, <some more meaningless mumble-jumble>, Hey, it's "green"!
  3. <some vague mumble-jumble> It will be an improvement.
  4. This is our last chance to put together our act.<some false mumble-jumble>
  5. <this is ONLY meaningless mumble-jumble>

Really, beside the total obviousness of each and every sentence, it reminds me school when we had to fill a given number of pages and struggled to use longer sentences to express non-new ideas and absolutely trite arguments in a "politically correct" wording (along the ideas of the teacher), adding senselessly repetitive sentences to reach the assigned length (and get a better grade).

jaclaz

Brandon LeBlanc: There’s been a lot of speculation about Windows Blue. What can you tell me about it?

1. The Windows Blue update is also an opportunity for us to respond to the customer feedback that we’ve been closely listening to since the launch of Windows 8 and Windows RT.

Which means they admit to not listening to a d@mn thing for the year prior to that! Three long beta periods ( DP, CP, RP ) and apparently it was all for show? They are admitting that they release a product, and then listen for feedback. And what was the purpose for Sinofsky's Destroying Windows Blog anyway, you know, the one with lengthy comment sections? Hey Microsoft, you're doing it wrong.

Somehow from these few cryptic "We're Listening" comments the meme has gotten out there, there must a hundred stories about it ...

Microsoft: Windows 8's learning curve needs addressing ( NeoWin 2013-05-08 )

... Which means "We could have made things clearer, but you're still doing it wrong". A few of the usual MetroTards checking in of course.

New Windows 8 TV ads are weird, don't show Windows 8 [update] ( NeoWin 2013-05-08 )

Microsoft's crazy Windows 8 video campaign swaps watermelons for features ( The Verge 2013-05-09 )

Today, Microsoft uploaded a trio of new Windows 8 TV ads on its official Windows YouTube channel and, well ... there's just no other way to say it. These ads, all under the "Training Camp" title, are some of the oddest we have ever seen that have been made to promote any version of Windows.

[...]

Update: Microsoft apparently was not ready to show these videos yet. All three have been switched to private mode on YouTube.

I didn't get to see them before they got locked but the commenters describe them as breathtakingly bad, perhaps the worst ever. :blink:

Toshiba: Microsoft confused PC buyers with Windows 8 and RT ( NeoWin 2013-05-08 )

The Australian reports that, according to Whittard, "I think one of the challenges is, there was a lot of confusion with Windows 8, my personal view is that they (Microsoft) confused the market with a couple of different flavours," Toshiba at one time was going to offer its own Windows RT tablet for sale in time for the launch of the OS, but later decided to cancel those plans.

Naturally that very mild and accurate statement does not please the fanboys. :lol: Almost everybody in the OEM biz has said the same thing now, they must all be wrong!

Bill Gates: Tablets Frustrating Without Keyboards, Office ( Tom's Hardware 2013-05-08 )

The cloud is a gigantic opportunity, he said, that allows so many things you couldn't do before.

Yeah that's for sure. Monetize everything and stick a catheter directly into the consumer wallets. In a sense they turn everyone into volume license customers, without the TLC customer service naturally.

With Surface, you have the portability of a mobile device and the richness of a desktop PC. And as tablets grow in popularity, it will be harder and harder to distinguish between PCs and tablets.

"With Windows 8, Microsoft is trying to gain share in what has been dominated by the iPad-type device," he said. "But a lot of those users are frustrated. They can't type, they can't create documents, they don't have Office there.

Say what? That's not gonna go over well. :lol: And what about that 7 inch surface that's in the pipeline? Will they be able to type on that? Now I wonder how he can even comment on Apple products anyway since he has banned them from his home and even his kids cannot use them. We're expected to believe he knows something about iPads? Go back to sleep billg.

jK98jIu.jpg

EDIT: added article(s)

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Two Windows 8 Start menu apps bring in 8 million total downloads ( NeoWin 2013-05-08 )

And without even getting them listed in the Windows Store :lol: I see that both Tihiy and someone from Classic Shell drop by to mention that StartIsBack has a million downloads and Classic Shell has over 6 million.

Microsoft to Adobe: People not ready to give up on stand-alone software ( TechSpot 2013-05-08 )

Microsoft to Adobe: It's too early to dump stand-alone software ( NeoWin 2013-05-08 )

Wow, that's some chutzpah right there! :yes: Maybe what they really meant to say was "Shhhh, keep this on the down-low. Rope them in quietly and don't let them know! Slow cooking frogs dude.".

In a way they already got us. If you bought a new $500 Office or $200 Windows version every three years ( coincidence? ) you already subscribed annually for $166 or $66 respectively. BTW: using those admittedly round numbers comes out to Number Of The Beast worthy prices of $166.666666(...) and $66.666666(...), I kid you not. :lol:

There is a pretty good comment there IMHO ...

It has NOTHING to do with piracy, folks.

Remember that Adobe decided a long time ago that it made more sense to charge 10,000 customers $1,000 than to charge 100,000 customers $100 dollars. It's the same total revenue but a LOT less customer support, etc. and thus far lower costs (= more profit!).

This forced their pricing model towards businesses that MUST have it and therefore must pay, while ignoring the rampant piracy among people who couldn't afford it anyway. They knew that these people would be learning the software, which would then force businesses to buy it for their employees, etc.

A win-win for Adobe.

It should be interesting to see how this works for them.

(PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT I AM NOT RELIGOUS BUT I FIND THIS STORY VERY EERIE, INTERESTING AND SOMEHOW VERY SIMILAR FOR THIS SPECIFIC SITUATION SO WHEN YOU SEE THE VIDEO, PLEASE TRY TO FILTER OUT THE RELIGOUS STUFF AND CONCENTRATE ON THE STORY ITSELF, VERY INTERESTING STORY.)

I find that story very interesting, perhaps in the old days, that was the way they explained the behaviour of "metrotards and shills"... OR perhaps it IS the Devil behind all this behaviour? :huh:

Moral of the story, they are empty shells, controlled by whatever entity who chooses to control them, just like sock puppets.

Wow, that was pretty creepy, especially the chant in the last 3-4 minutes. Pretty well done overall, though.

Pride (which goeth before a fall) does explain a lot when it comes to what MSFT is doing.

Maybe we can change our nickname for its blind followers to "metrojinns." :)

--JorgeA

Two Windows 8 Start menu apps bring in 8 million total downloads ( NeoWin 2013-05-08 )

And without even getting them listed in the Windows Store :lol: I see that both Tihiy and someone from Classic Shell drop by to mention that StartIsBack has a million downloads and Classic Shell has over 6 million.

Yeah, these download numbers represent users who (1) want a real Start Menu, (2) realize that it's possible to install a Start Menu, and (3) know enough to go looking for one.

Now, if Microsoft were to offer a Start Menu/Start Screen selection window upon first boot (like they're supposed to do in Europe with respect to a browser), I wonder how many users would pick the Start Menu. Instead of 8 million Win8 Start Menu users, there might be 40 or 60 or 98 million (out of the "100 million licenses sold").

Microsoft to Adobe: People not ready to give up on stand-alone software ( TechSpot 2013-05-08 )

Microsoft to Adobe: It's too early to dump stand-alone software ( NeoWin 2013-05-08 )

Wow, that's some chutzpah right there! :yes: Maybe what they really meant to say was "Shhhh, keep this on the down-low. Rope them in quietly and don't let them know! Slow cooking frogs dude.".

Another way to look at it is that it's a case of "the pot calling the kettle black." :whistle:

In a way they already got us. If you bought a new $500 Office or $200 Windows version every three years ( coincidence? ) you already subscribed annually for $166 or $66 respectively. BTW: using those admittedly round numbers comes out to Number Of The Beast worthy prices of $166.666666(...) and $66.666666(...), I kid you not. :lol:

I have a pet theory (that I haven't pursued) that, "for him who hath understanding," the Mark of the Beast is the integrated circuit:

integrated%20circuit.gif

If you look at them, they could be said to look like rows of 6's (and 1's, for those who say that the number is actually 616). An ancient Greek such as the writer of Revelaton wouldn't have been familiar with the Arabic numeral system, though -- which is where the "having understanding" part comes in: it's a message for the age that has all the tools needed to understand it. When you think about all the nefarious things that this mark is bringing about (a totalitarian surveillance state with the eventual abolition of cash where you need an electronic device to buy and sell), it gets suggestive.

Not saying that I subscribe to the theory necessarily, only that when I first made the connection, I went "whoa!"

But this is OT.

--JorgeA

EDIT: When I closed the MSFN window and went back to Outlook, there were 666 e-mails in my inbox... :w00t::P

Edited by JorgeA

Wow, that was pretty creepy, especially the chant in the last 3-4 minutes. Pretty well done overall, though.

Pride (which goeth before a fall) does explain a lot when it comes to what MSFT is doing.

Maybe we can change our nickname for its blind followers to "metrojinns." :)

--JorgeA

Yeah, hehehe

get-attachment.jpg

Acer CEO: Microsoft is coming back down to earth with Windows 8.1 ( TechSpot 2013-05-09 )

Acer: Windows 8.1 will see Microsoft come 'down to earth' ( NeoWin 2013-05-09 )

PC Makers Hopeful on Windows 8 Changes ( Wall Street Journal 2013-05-09 )

According to Wang, it’s a transitional period for Microsoft – a company that was once considered to “live in heaven.” With the update, Wang said Microsoft is coming back down to earth after learning how people living on earth think.

Man, these two Acer honchos Wang and Wong ( no I'm serious, Chairman Wang and President Wong ) are all over the map, but mostly coming down hard on Microsoft. It's almost like they are running a psy-ops campaign to drive MetroTards crazy. It is succeeding too.

NVIDIA backs Windows RT, multiple tablets coming ( NeoWin 2013-05-10 )

Nvidia behind Windows RT with plans to launch multiple tablets ( TechSpot 2013-05-10 )

When asked about Windows RT's lackluster market entrance - the platform accounted for just 0.4% of tablet shipments in Q1 2013 - Haas said "we're not discouraged by the start and very, very excited going forward." He goes on to say it's early days in a "very significant transition" for the PC market, and that in the future ARM will be the dominant force in tablets due to an energy efficient design.

Hmmm, yesterday it was Qualcomm, today nVidia, they must have something in common, what could it be? Oh yeah, they make ARM chips. Windows 8 ReTard Edition runs on ARM. No wonder NeoWin digs up these fluff articles. And a PC transition to what? ARM? You gotta be kidding.

Use Windows 7 but want the Windows 8 task manager? Here is your download ( NeoWin 2013-05-09 )

Ummm, how about NO. There already is a real task manager for both called Process Explorer.

Anyway, this is NOT a backport from Windows 8 to Windows 7 which the headline kind of implies. This is a user created facsimile of it for Windows 7. HTML+CSS colored boxes. Big whoop.

EDIT: added article(s)

Microsoft will make $3.4 billion from Android in 2013 ( NeoWin 2013-05-09 )

Microsoft will pocket $3.4 billion from Android this year ( TechSpot 2013-05-10 )

The article says they are parasitically leeching $8 off every Android device, possibly from using exFAT, but we cannot be sure because the agreements are apparently kept confidential.

If these companies really want to destroy the illegal and immoral Microsoft monopoly, this is a good place to start. Cleanroom reverse engineer these file systems and release pitch perfect compatible FAT, exFAT, NTFS for free. That's how it is done. That's how it was done way back when Phoenix and Compaq snaked the BIOS and IBM PC Compatibles were born. The whole world benefited from it and it's safe to say that everything would be different today without it. What Microsoft is doing here is acting like a slimey drug dealer. Thanks to their illegal monopoly they got everyone hooked on their file systems and now they are going in for the kill, like a crack dealer bleeding every last cent out of the victim even if it kills them.

Naturally the governments are all paid off through lobbying so they continue to look the other way rather than forcing the release of the source code for both the Operating System and File Systems into the public domain as a necessary public utility being used as an extortion tool. MicroZealots would cry foul naturally but they would miss the point. This isn't about software, we're not talking about Office or Flight Simulator which is software that itself requires an Operating System and File System. I remember when Adobe pulled this with making PDF a "special" proprietary thing ( possibly the first case on the PC but I might be wrong ), lots of people laughed and ridiculed them too, but this is much much bigger. IMHO it is exactly an example of what Antitrust and Monopoly laws were meant to destroy.

Google must have 10,000 programmers sitting on their butts that could be put into a task force to destroy this monopoly by freeing the file systems from Microsoft extortion. What are you waiting for? Git 'er Done! Note to MetroTards: this does NOT mean all Operating Systems and File Systems should be open source or forcibly released to the public from radical government action. No, only the ones that become ubiquitous and critical to worldwide technological infrastructure thanks to a monopoly from backroom deals causing them to be installed at the factory on almost all computers that are built.

International Space Station dumps Windows XP for Linux ( NeoWin 2013-05-09 )

Fine example of NeoWin spin. As Windows XP leaves "support" ( yeah, as if Microsoft "supports" anything ) thanks to all the FUD about not being safe and protected under Microsoft's warm embrace naturally they are looking to do something. Well it seems to me that the headline should say International Space Station dumps Microsoft for Linux. Right? Apparently they are choosing Linux over Microsoft's dead dog so the headline could also read: International Space Station chooses Linux over Windows 8. :yes:

EDIT: added article, clarity