Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Now hear this... Windows 8 Metro ... I hereby re-christen thee ... Windows Blew

:D:lol:

Given the Start Screen's color scheme that you see in all the ads, I'd been thinking along the lines of Windows Purple. But your choice works better thanks to the pun. :yes:

--JorgeA

IE11 to appear as Firefox to avoid legacy IE CSS ( NeoWin 2013-03-24 )

This is a new fact discovered from the MSIE v11 included in the Windows 8 Blew leaked build. MSIE will report itself as Mozilla, allegedly to thwart browser sniffing that serves up CSS style sheets designed to kludge away ancient mistakes in MSIE v6. There are too many levels of irony and boomerang karma here to describe.

But here's a thought. Next thing they're gonna tell us is ...

• Windows 8 is actually reporting itself as Windows 7
  • Windows ReTard Edition is actually reporting itself as Android
  • WP8 is actually reporting itself as iOS

... all in order to explain away the epic fail that they all have brought down upon themselves. :lol:

Just delicious! :thumbup

Maybe this is in some way symbolic of what Bill's company is doing to its customers... :whistle:

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Canonical Teams With China to Create National OS ( Tom's Hardware 2013-03-24 )

"[CISP] has selected Canonical’s Ubuntu as the basis for that reference architecture in order to provide a flexible, open, widely-used and standardized operating system," the company said. "The announcement is part of the Chinese government’s five year plan to promote open source software and accelerate the growth of the open source ecosystem within China."

Ruh Roh :whistle: Only the post-WinXP Nu-Microsoft could have accomplished such a feat. They have made Windows 8 Metro Blew positively pirate proof! It sucks so bad that a billion+ potential customer market would rather go Linux than buying or stealing their Playskool Toy Edition. :lol:

Yup. And despite all the OS piracy that's said to take place over there, this is bound to be a major depressant on Windows 8 sales going forward, making it harder to claim that Win8 is a hit.

OTOH, given what we've seen with Skype and of course the Great Firewall of China, I wonder what kinds of spyware Canonical might have agreed to bake into the Chinese version of their OS in order to land this deal. And will those "features" make it into the regular Ubuntu distro? :ph34r: We may get a chance to test the effectiveness of the "open source" concept.

--JorgeA

Of course there is more Windows 8 Blew news ...

(Virtual) Hands-On with Windows 8 “Blue” Build 9364. Yep, it's real ( Thurrott 2013-03-24 )

What the “Blue” Leak Tells Us About Microsoft’s Strategy ( Thurrott 2013-03-25 )

Next from Microsoft: 'Blue', the Windows 8 they hope you don't hate ( UK Register 2013-03-25 )

Windows 8 Metro interface Blues ( SJVN ZDNet 2013-03-25 )

Microsoft readying multiple Windows Blue servers and a Blue Windows RT build ( Mary Jo Foley ZDNet 2013-03-25 )

All the action in this build is in PC settings, and if you were looking for any further proof the desktop being eased out going forward, look no further than this. As noted in the previous report, there are a ton of new settings in there now, including many items that were previously only available in the desktop-based Control Panel interface. This is clearly an indication of how we get from here (Windows 8) to there (Windows 9, with potentially no desktop).

If true, Microsoft will be toast. Note that Thurrott still hasn't had a single thought about the antitrust ramifications about morphing their monopoly operating system, complete with its backroom OEM "deals" of pre-installation on almost all computers! Once they "remove the desktop", leaving the gatekeeping Microsoft Store in its place, then the transformation is complete. OEMs will in effect be preinstalling the Microsoft Store onto their machines which benefits only Microsoft. At that point Windows is no longer a neutral operating system open to independent developers. In fact Windows will no longer be an operating system at all but instead be a form of Microsoft Firmware designed to herd you and your wallet right into Micro$oft's grubby little hands. They will then be wide-open to complete and absolutely correct government intrusion that could ( I would say "should" ) result in the company busted up or at least "legacy" Windows taken away from them. The brazenness of this diabolical plan seems to be lost on many people, especially since they only recently were freed from the previous government scrutiny. Paul, can I just call you Ray Charles for short?

Has Microsoft listened to feedback about Windows 8? Yes and no

That would be a big fat NO. Unless he means listening to the MetroTards that aren't satisfied with the current level of destruction of Windows and desire even more.

Stephen Chapman of MSFTKitchen did a teardown of the leaked bits. He discovered mentions of the following Windows Blue SKUs that are apparently in the works:

• Windows Blue RT
  • Windows Blue Personal
  • Windows Blue Professional
  • Windows Blue Standard Server
  • Windows Blue Enterprise Server
  • Windows Blue Datacenter Server
  • Windows Blue Web Server

They're doing it wrong. :lol: It really needn't be that difficult ...

• Windows Server ... covers everything from corporate enterprise big iron to SOHO home servers
  • Windows Workstation ... standalone traditional Windows without compromises
  • Windows ReTard ... tablets and phones and all compromise devices for MetroTards

EDIT: typo

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

They're doing it wrong. :lol: It really needn't be that difficult ...

• Windows Server ... covers everything from corporate enterprise big iron to SOHO home servers
  • Windows Workstation ... standalone traditional Windows without compromises
  • Windows ReTard ... tablets and phones and all compromise devices for MetroTards

No, you got it completely wrong. :(

The "final" thing will be called "W" (easier to remember and takes only one byte space in RAM / one neuron in brain, more suited for the limited resources of the intended users) and will come in a single edition, one size fits all (this allows for reducing developers/branches) from crappy phone to top-notch enterprise servers, instead of having an original idea stolen from "The Matrix", they will use an original idea stolen this time from "Men in Black" (go to 0:54):

The real issue being that there is a secret department in Redmond working on a neuralyzer app. :ph34r: (one that works, not one of the joke apps for Android and similar)

They will finally be able to erase your memory (beside your hard disk and all the data you have on the cloud) remotely....

On the cited Thurrot's site, there is an interesting comment by user John Galt:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/what-blue-leak-tells-us-about-microsoft-s-strategy

The VAST majority of consumer-based users (i.e. well over 90%) don't need anything more than Windows RT. They don't want anything more than Windows RT.

do read the whole comment, it raises very good points, maybe it's "us", not "them". :unsure:

We will neededly all migrate eventually to Linux (or any other "working" OS) and let "them" fight senseless Surface vs.iPad wars.

jaclaz

On the cited Thurrot's site, there is an interesting comment by user John Galt:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/what-blue-leak-tells-us-about-microsoft-s-strategy

The VAST majority of consumer-based users (i.e. well over 90%) don't need anything more than Windows RT. They don't want anything more than Windows RT.

do read the whole comment, it raises very good points, maybe it's "us", not "them". :unsure:

We will neededly all migrate eventually to Linux (or any other "working" OS) and let "them" fight senseless Surface vs.iPad wars.

I read "John Galt's" comment. Like the commenter right below him, I wonder how he comes up with his percentages.

But, to the meat of his comments:

But Windows Blue also solves that: It allows multiple modern apps to be run, both on the same screen, and across multiple screens. So for instance you can now snap Skype to the left, and run Visual Studio or Photoshop full screen on the right. Then on a second display, snap email to the right, and run a web browser full screen to the left. (rinse and repeat on 3, 4, 5, or even 6 displays). This solves all but one issue: Switching between applications.

MS can solve this by giving us a dedicated popup window with a shortcut and new mice that have a button below the scroll wheel that brings it up. It would list your most used apps, and show the ones running first and allow you to click or move the arrows. It is not ALT+Tab (but sort of is) because it will stick up without having to hold the keys down.

To accomplish what he wants, there is no need for all these convolutions or to invent new and even more complicated hardware. There is a simple solution, already in existence: it's called the Start Menu. It lists your most used applications. As a bonus, it also gives you quick access to your most recently opened items.

And for simplicity in switching between applications, no one (least of all the Metro folks) has yet devised anything easier than the Taskbar. In Metro you have to first bring up the open apps with a swipe from the left, then you click or press on the one that you want. With the Taskbar you make the switch in a single action (a mouse click) -- I never even bother with Alt+Tab. Oh, and with the Taskbar you can see immediately what programs are currently running: you don't need to first swipe from the left to see what's open.

It boggles the mind to see people still arguing that the Metro interface is somehow better or easier or faster to use.

--JorgeA

Even more reaction to the leak of Windows 8 Blew, the last roundup of these stories I am going to mention.

Microsoft has apparently been overrun by Pod people ( iPod people ? ) and is absolutely intent on backing their ship up and ramming the iceberg again and again, just to see how many times they can do it before they sink to the bottom ...

Windows Blue Alpha Build 9364 Leaks ( Maximum PC 2013-03-24 )

Beware of Windows Blue. ( Dvorak PC Magazine 2013-03-25 )

Microsoft splashes coat of paint on Windows 8 comms apps ( UK Register 2013-03-25 )

Needless to say, these three are great articles IMHO. A nice contrast to the breathless fawning from the children at The Verge and NeoWin ( even Thurrott has tepid interest ). I have never seen such a clear divide in my life. Two groups that cannot co-exist under the same roof ... the logical technical stable of long put-upon Windows veterans ... and the childish MetroTards who demand everything to work like their Xbox ( and who also insist that our computers also conform to their obsessive compulsive disorder ). I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty much determined now to turn away any customers with PC problems who use Windows 8. They need to pay a price for their stupidity or else they shall learn nothing at all. I might consider wiping and installing a real Windows OS, but only after a severe tongue lashing, their prolific heartfelt confession and due penance. Say 100 Hail Mary's and write "I was a MetroTard" on the blackboard 100 times. :lol:

Windows Store Apps will receive updates automatically in Windows Blue ( NeoWin 2013-03-25 )

Windows Blue has removed 'system image recovery,' leaves us a bit perplexed ( NeoWin 2013-03-25 )

This is the file manager app for the modern UI in Windows Blue ( NeoWin 2013-03-25 )

~sigh~ Well let's see. Windows 8 will introduce the paradigm of letting not just Windows autoupdate, but all apps. Now what could possible go wrong? :lol: Don't even care.

Hey, here's something! NeoWin shows us the wonderful interface of a Metro based File Manager ...

ZoORRKV.jpg

Your eyes are not deceiving you. This is a File Manager according to Microsoft.

n6FxPDo.png

As hard as it is to believe, Microsoft has found a way to make Windows 3.xx look good. :lol:

EDIT: updated image URLs

Almost forgot to mention a huge detail. In Windows 8 Blew, the code and resources to resurrect the Start Menu has been removed. See the last days worth of comments in Tihiy's thread ...

Confirmed the leaked version of Windows blue dont support StartIsBack even Start8 dont's work Microsoft eliminates all code, change kernel and explorer is a bad news.

For those of you using SIB or Start8, walk to the mirror, turn around and see if you can spot the shiny knife sticking out of your back. Now repeat after me, "Microsoft is your friend!". :lol:

I first noticed this issue not from testing the Windows 8 Blew pOS, but from intriguing comments spotted at NeoWin where some posters were hinting that threads about this intentional breakage were being removed. :blink:

EDIT: typo

A Google search of "boycott Windows 8" yields 3.12 million results.

DO NOT use Google Search to support anything, siimply don't! :realmad:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/google-result-counts-are-a-meaningless-metric.html

~sigh~ Well let's see. Windows 8 will introduce the paradigm of letting not just Windows autoupdate, but all apps. Now what could possible go wrong? :lol: Don't even care.

IMHO it would be more practical to make a list of what WILL NOT be affected, I already made an EXHAUSTIVE list of these apps :whistle: :

1. Notepad
  2. Paint
  3. Solitaire

This won't in any way affect the productivity of the average user. ;)

Say 100 Hail Mary's and write "I was a MetroTard" on the blackboard 100 times.

Just in case :):

Bart's chalkboard

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

A Google search of "boycott Windows 8" yields 3.12 million results.

DO NOT use Google Search to support anything, siimply don't! :realmad:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/google-result-counts-are-a-meaningless-metric.html

I am well aware of the limitations of Google Search. If you have a better method for gauging the prominence/obscurity of a topic, please do tell.

Consider the following comparative search results: Beatles

vs.

Princess Mafalda of Savoy

You don't seriously mean to say that the Google Search results provide NO idea of the popularity of a given subject?

It's not a perfect method, but a quick-and-dirty measure to give a rough idea, nothing more.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

You don't seriously mean to say that the Google Search results provide NO idea of the popularity of a given subject?

It's not a perfect method, but a quick-and-dirty measure to give a rough idea, nothing more.

If you want to lower yourself at the level of those we tend to ;) criticize in this thread, go ahead. :ph34r:

Before that, please :) try googling for:

boycott "windows 8"

YES, with "windows 8" enclosed in double quotes.

Another example:

broken windows = About 72,000,000 results (0.33 seconds)

broken windows 8 = About 151,000,000 results (0.26 seconds)

broken "windows 8" = About 14,400,000 results (0.26 seconds)

If you want to insist on this meaningless approach, you are obviously free to do so.

The word for today is polysemy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polysemy

jaclaz