Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

How do other people (that means you who are reading this ;) ) come to visit the thread?

I take the lazy approach and enter the forum here, that always shows me all new posts that have occurred over a time frame I can choose, no matter where in the forum the posts are.

That's pretty neat. B) I didn't even know you could do that!

I come in mainly by getting automated notifications of new posts in the threads that I subscribe to, and secondarily by then looking around once I'm done with the new posts.

Your way should not make a difference which subforum the thread is in. As long as people keep posting, it'll keep showing up. :thumbup

--JorgeA

Yep, that's the idea. :)

Cheers and Regards

There IS one potential problem area, that I just realized. Anyone who would check the thread by browsing to the Windows 8 subforum (let's say, because they put the subforum in their Favorites) will now see the Deeper Impressions thread redirect sinking down the listingss, with the most recent post reported to be by Tripredacus on February 25. From that it's easy for a reader to conclude that there's nothing new and that the thread is dying, or has died.

I wonder what percentage of readers come into the forum that way. So the thread move could really put a crimp on the conversation here. Personally, when not coming directly to a thread via an e-mail notification, that IS the way that I browse MSFN: I go to the overall board index and go down the list of subforum names for areas of interest to me (Vista, Win9x, Security and Internet, etc.). I had never gone into the "General Discussion" subforum before this week!

Request to mods: is there any way to have that redirect provide the date and time of the most recent post in the continuing thread, as if it were a normal thread link?

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Request to mods: is there any way to have that redirect provide the date and time of the most recent post in the continuing thread, as if it were a normal thread link?

Either that or sticky it, but I don't know if they can sticky a move notice.

Cheers and Regards

How do other people (that means you who are reading this ;) ) come to visit the thread?

I take the lazy approach and enter the forum here, that always shows me all new posts that have occurred over a time frame I can choose, no matter where in the forum the posts are.

That's pretty neat. B) I didn't even know you could do that!

I come in mainly by getting automated notifications of new posts in the threads that I subscribe to, and secondarily by then looking around once I'm done with the new posts.

Your way should not make a difference which subforum the thread is in. As long as people keep posting, it'll keep showing up. :thumbup

--JorgeA

Yep, that's the idea. :)

Cheers and Regards

There IS one potential problem area, that I just realized. Anyone who would check the thread by browsing to the Windows 8 subforum (let's say, because they put the subforum in their Favorites) will now see the Deeper Impressions thread redirect sinking down the listingss, with the most recent post reported to be by Tripredacus on February 25. From that it's easy for a reader to conclude that there's nothing new and that the thread is dying, or has died.

I wonder what percentage of readers come into the forum that way. So the thread move could really put a crimp on the conversation here. Personally, when not coming directly to a thread via an e-mail notification, that IS the way that I browse MSFN: I go to the overall board index and go down the list of subforum names for areas of interest to me (Vista, Win9x, Security and Internet, etc.). I had never gone into the "General Discussion" subforum before this week!

--JorgeA

See, that's the big advantage for using the "search active" type of link. You don't care where any thread is located. Any activity, even poll updates, to any thread in any subforum will show up. In fact, the only time I need to know where a thread is located is when I want to find an old thread that has not had any recent activity. And really I still don't need to know where it is because in that case I usually have to use the forum search function, or Google, to find it.

Cheers and Regards

The reason I don't participate much now, is because I have some time consuming stuff to do now, not so much the movement of the thread.

I for one think the thread should continue. If the reason for the initial closure was indeed due some influence of MS or someone working for them, then letting this thread die is exactly what they wanted.

Hey guys, AGAIN, please, let's stop whining about nothing.

Nothing happened, nothing was censored, nothing was deleted, just §@ç#ing STOP whining and or suggest SENSELESS "conspiracy theories", THERE ARE SIMPLY NONE. :realmad:

If you want to know about a real censorship attack to freedom of speech coincidentally originated from Canada :w00t:, here is one example :ph34r: (and yes, this is OT ;)) :

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/02/26/172982758/pastagate-quebec-agency-criticized-for-targeting-foreign-words-on-menus

:lol:

The idea of menu police gnocching at your door well after midnight is appalling :ph34r:

jaclaz

P.S.: Still GREATLY OT, the way you present a menu may make a difference, compare.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/23/following-pastagate-famous-montreal-restaurant-goes-public-about-its-own-language-police-run-in/

pasta.jpg?w=420&h=365

with ;):

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/27/pastagate-unfolds-one-noodle-after-another

1297382600126_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=420x

And finally, for the record:

demot-communication.jpg

Edited by jaclaz

Nothing happened, nothing was censored, nothing was deleted, just §@ç#ing STOP whining and or suggest SENSELESS "conspiracy theories", THERE ARE SIMPLY NONE. :realmad:

I for one have enjoyed reading this thread. However, jaclaz is right. Nothing has happened except the thread was moved, so let's get back to discussing the topic of this thread and its drift thereof.

I am not a big Windows user, but I do still use it usually once or so a day, but nothing newer than XP, and that is if I have no other choice. Windows 2000 is my choice and will continue to be. But, I do have people ask me for advice from time to time and I feel that is important for me to keep up with developments so that I can deliver at least reasonably accurate advice. This thread has been a great help in that regard.

BUT LATELY, IT HAS LEFT ME A BIT UNSATISFIED IN THE QUEST FOR INFORMATION. :angry:

I do hope we can get back on track and that others will return and continue to contribute.

Thanks for putting up with my rant. I look forward to continuing to read this thread and maybe even contribute a little here and there.

I found something interesting on the TechNet forums:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itproinstall/thread/fe34ea88-a018-4989-a75b-031aebafecd9

Apparently, some users have found their OS to be de-activated while certain cellphones are plugged into the computer for charging. Only Samsungs... what a strange thing!

If you want to know about a real censorship attack to freedom of speech coincidentally originated from Canada :w00t:, here is one example :ph34r: (and yes, this is OT ;)) :

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/02/26/172982758/pastagate-quebec-agency-criticized-for-targeting-foreign-words-on-menus

Unbelievable!!

The idea of menu police gnocching at your door well after midnight is appalling :ph34r:

:lol:

Personally, I don't think there was a conspiracy or an inside job or influence from outside. Although, for a while last Monday, the thread did get closed to new comments -- instead of simply relocated as it ultimately was. It was the drastic measure of closing the thread that gave rise to various theories about nefarious forces getting into the act.

Anyway, we did manage to bring it back to life and I'm glad that the discussion has resumed, although we do seem to have suffered significant casualties in terms of frequent thread posters.

I'm also DELIGHTED to see all the expressions of support in the last week from folks who've been mainly following the discussion without posting. It gives a sense of satisfaction to find out that we're providing something that people find valuable! :yes:

--JorgeA

Word is getting out that Windows 8 hasn't done anything to stem the decline in PC sales (and may even be contributing to it):

Another Annual Decline for PC Sales

While it’s not as though anyone expected Microsoft’s Windows 8 to inject any real excitement into the consumer market, there were those who thought it might at least help to arrest the overall decline, especially among consumers. It wasn’t to be. Holiday season PC sales were disappointing, and the economic malaise, especially in Europe, weighed on corporate IT budgets. Shipments in the fourth quarter were down by 8.3 percent, which amounts to the worst holiday quarter on record, IDC says.

Meanwhile, emerging markets that once held the greatest potential for growth are flattening out, and some actually declined last year. They’ll start growing again this year, but only by a little through 2017. It was worse in the U.S., where shipments declined by 7.6 percent.

So the holiday quarter (i.e., when Win8 came out) is the worst one on record -- while emerging markets, instead of growing as anticipated, actually declined. Hmm... Not conclusive of course, but certainly suggestive.

--JorgeA

While it’s not as though anyone expected Microsoft’s Windows 8 to inject any real excitement into the consumer market

They should define "anyone". Sure, while a likely minority realized long ago that Windows 8 was mediocre at best, the hype machine would have one believe that Windows 8 was enough to singlehandedly revive the flagging PC market. Don't take my word for it, they fooled the WSJ among others:

Permission to Procrastinate: Wait to Get a New Laptop

It's easy to say "No one listens to Mossberg" but I actually had to put up a fight over deploying Windows 7 due to his articles. I've made sure to rub it in now that my boss knows 8 is a dog.

In fairness to Walt, he gave a straight review upon release:

Walt Mossberg Reviews Windows 8

I think he initially advocated on the assumption that Microsoft knew what it was doing then later backpedaled once he realized how backwards it was. Maybe he assumed that the bugs would have been ironed out by release.

I for one have enjoyed reading this thread. However, jaclaz is right. Nothing has happened except the thread was moved, so let's get back to discussing the topic of this thread and its drift thereof.

I am not a big Windows user, but I do still use it usually once or so a day, but nothing newer than XP, and that is if I have no other choice. Windows 2000 is my choice and will continue to be. But, I do have people ask me for advice from time to time and I feel that is important for me to keep up with developments so that I can deliver at least reasonably accurate advice. This thread has been a great help in that regard.

BUT LATELY, IT HAS LEFT ME A BIT UNSATISFIED IN THE QUEST FOR INFORMATION. :angry:

I do hope we can get back on track and that others will return and continue to contribute.

Thanks for putting up with my rant. I look forward to continuing to read this thread and maybe even contribute a little here and there.

Not a problem about the rant, that's what we're here for. ;)

Anything you get a chance to contribute will be welcome!

--JorgeA

I found something interesting on the TechNet forums:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itproinstall/thread/fe34ea88-a018-4989-a75b-031aebafecd9

Apparently, some users have found their OS to be de-activated while certain cellphones are plugged into the computer for charging. Only Samsungs... what a strange thing!

That is incredibly bizarre.

Also opens up "interesting" new possibilities for messing with people's computers, if a way can be figured out to make that deactivation stick even after unplugging the phone. Or to deliberately make the same sort of nasty thing happen with other devices that normally get plugged into a PC. :o

--JorgeA

Microsoft Pulls the Plug on "Scroogled" Ads

I don't know how accurate it is, just thought I'd report it and contribute something to this thread I read and support. :thumbup

GL

Thanks very much for the link! And of course for contributing...

Maybe Google offered to give Microsoft the same kind of treatment, based on the latter's own privacy record as we've seen in this thread.

--JorgeA

Also from the link JorgeA posted:

One thing that might give the corporate market some badly needed pep: The end of support by Microsoft of Windows XP, which kicks in this year.

The writer was wise to qualify the statement with "corporate market". I think tech people are being unrealistic about the effect of XP's "expiration date" with respect to the consumer market. Some literally believe that it will evaporate the instant support ends, as if home users know or care about support periods. Hell, some of them will see it as an upgrade since their computer won't be at the Welcome screen every Wednesday morning when it automatically reboots while they're in the bathroom. XP is is going to be like a carton of eggs. Some people will toss it the day of the expiration date or even before. Others will continue using them until something bad happens, which probably won't happen even if they're weeks past their date.