Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Office 2013 EULA says the software is bound to one PC forever ( TechSpot 2013-02-13 )

If you purchased a retail edition of Office 2010, the end-user license agreement (EULA) permits you to install the software on up to two devices at once (a desktop and a laptop) and if you retire one or both of those systems, your license is transferable to new machines.

Neither of those permissions exist with Office 2013. Microsoft's updated EULA only lets you install the boxed editions on one computer, and only that computer -- forever.

Oh this is gonna go over like a ton of bricks. Hey if you don't like it, tough. Get Office 364. Go to the cloud! This is from TechSpot, it is not yet over at NeoWin. Looking forward to see the creative rationalizations from the MicroZealots.

I think I know why this was done. Those transfer terms exist in Office 365 and actually allow for installation on 4 computers and 5 devices. I can't find a copy of it online. :}

Your quote is from the mentioned blog by Nadim Kobeissi:

http://log.nadim.cc/?p=78

seemingly from an earlier version, missing Update2 and Update3.

Update 3 makes things better from a privacy/security perspective, but Update 2 makes things worse.

Totally OT, but Nadim's page contains the following little Twitter tidbit and link:

Today I learned that Italy’s stock exchange has a giant statue of a middle finger in front of it:

epTPnlP.jpg

Is the picture real or photoshopped? I thought you might know...

--JorgeA

Office 2013 EULA says the software is bound to one PC forever ( TechSpot 2013-02-13 )

If you purchased a retail edition of Office 2010, the end-user license agreement (EULA) permits you to install the software on up to two devices at once (a desktop and a laptop) and if you retire one or both of those systems, your license is transferable to new machines.

Neither of those permissions exist with Office 2013. Microsoft's updated EULA only lets you install the boxed editions on one computer, and only that computer -- forever.

Oh this is gonna go over like a ton of bricks. Hey if you don't like it, tough. Get Office 364. Go to the cloud! This is from TechSpot, it is not yet over at NeoWin. Looking forward to see the creative rationalizations from the MicroZealots.

Another post chock-full of information! I'll keep to commenting on just one item (the one quoted above):

This news about Office 2013 reinforces my decision to stay away from it. And it increases my interest in eventually making the switch to SoftMaker (thanks, @Formfiller). Preliminary tests on my own machines suggest that it can indeed read and write to .DOCX files, including change tracking and comments, without a hitch. (I've yet to create a new file in SoftMaker and load it on MS Office.) Some time ago I reported on MSFN about how long it takes MS Word to load a large, complex document file (the time-to-load discussion starts in earnest on page 2). Even my Ivy Bridge PC takes almost two minutes to finish loading the test file. SoftMaker's word processor was totally ready in 16 seconds.

--JorgeA

Backward compatibility in consoles is a tricky thing. Since it is challenging, if not impossible, to be both cutting edge and backward compatible, there are basically only two methods to proceed, both of which have distinct disadvantages:

1. Recreate the hardware "guts" and include them in the new console. This has the disadvantage of significantly increasing unit cost but will be 100% compatible.

2. Build an emulator. Even a high-end PC can't handle accurately emulating any game console from the past 15 years, so what ends up happening is that the emulator is built around the 100 or so most popular games (plus spinoffs that use the same "engine") and for the rest the gamer is in no man's land. Even the "fully supported" games can suffer audio/visual glitches, game-crashing bugs, etc. just like the amateur emulators.

Personally, given the reality of the situation, I think most gamers would rather pay less for new the console and hook up the old one.

Microsoft's real mistake is not releasing a new console when they released Kinect. The XNA and used games scandals aren't helping, either. Before this console generation, gamers were accustomed to purchasing a new console every 3-5 years but because both Sony and Nintendo suffered their own drawn out decays, Microsoft decided to join in. Lazy.

Real :w00t: , but not "persistent" :whistle: :

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704681904576317781140034982.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11474311

or maybe it is:

http://en.daringtodo.com/2012/10/l-o-v-e-the-finger-will-grace-piazza-affari-for-least-40-years/

let's say that s provisional for some 40 years. :ph34r:

You'll learn how often in Italy anything that is "temporary" becomes actually "perpetual" and anything that is "permanent" will be changed within a short period of times.

jaclaz

You'll learn how often in Italy anything that is "temporary" becomes actually "perpetual" and anything that is "permanent" will be changed within a short period of times.

Sounds like what it would be like to live in a surrealistic film...

Real :w00t: , but not "persistent" :whistle: :

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704681904576317781140034982.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11474311

or maybe it is:

http://en.daringtodo.com/2012/10/l-o-v-e-the-finger-will-grace-piazza-affari-for-least-40-years/

let's say that s provisional for some 40 years. :ph34r:

Amazing, just amazing.

Now, just to give this topic a connection to the thread -- can we take up a collection to move this monument to the entrance of Microsoft headquarters in Redmond? ;) Or maybe they should make it part of their logo...

--JorgeA

Now, just to give this topic a connection to the thread -- can we take up a collection to move this monument to the entrance of Microsoft headquarters in Redmond? ;) Or maybe they should make it part of their logo...

--JorgeA

I think it would be very fitting in their logo, seeing how they treat their customers. *lol* :thumbup

Update of previous update in Post #1788 ...

Microsoft wants you to know that Google reads your love letters ( NeoWin 2013-02-14 )

Hmmm. That is at least the 4th 5th 6th story of this nature in short order ...

I'm no prude but I see this as very ugly and unprofessional. They hired a DC political hack as hatchet-man ( Microsoft's DC insider could throw the kitchen sink at Google ) charged with doing nothing but attacking Google. Ironically it changes Microsoft into Apple, and Google into Microsoft resulting in a repeat of the past few decades where Apple did this type of nonsense routinely. Furthermore, Microsoft is really asking for it because there are so many things that Google could easily run an ad campaign on, most notably: Microsoft’s Bing uses Google search results—and denies it. Not to mention Microsoft embedding ads in their Windows 8 non-free paid-for operating system, and the vast amount of telemetry it collects such as how many minutes elapse before you modify Metro tiles, install from the app store or use the desktop. This is but the tip of the iceberg of items that Google could publicize, and if they chose to could produce fabulous advertising using Microsoft as the Titanic about to crash into it. Tacky, unprofessional and definitely NOT smart.

Added: please don't mistake this for blind support of Google, they lost any chance of that when they collaborated with the Chinese regime on censorship. The fact that Microsoft does not use this as a talking point should tell you something about their likely collaboration with regimes. Also, I would like to encourage Microsoft continue these ugly attacks because it will result in a wonderful public war and I have money invested in popcorn futures. :thumbup

Update of previous update in Post #1854 ...

Nokia Mistakenly Reveals Lumia Windows RT Tablet ( Tom's Hardware 2013-02-14 )

Nokia may drop Samsung as parts supplier ( NeoWin 2013-02-14 )

1st Story ... Nokia makes a harmless mistake? At first glance this does not qualify as a "problem" story about Nokia. But the people reporting believe this new tablet is NOT a Windows 8 model, but a Windows ReTard edition instead. Perhaps they want a piece of all those 700,000 Surface RT sales :lol: Seriously, they probably began this project before the RT fail became clear. But now they know, and will have no excuse if the thing ships and dies, especially considering the fact other OEMs scrapped their RT products, and with the x86 Surface Pro finally released which will attract most potential buyers, except for the handful that only care about battery life or for some reason want ARM in particular. The point being, by merely glancing at the list below, one can easily see that Nokia cannot afford many more mistakes. ADDED: Thurrott comments ... "A widely republished photo purporting to show Nokia’s long-expected entry into the Windows 8/RT tablet market is, alas, a fake."

2nd Story ... Nokia makes a not-so-harmless mistake? Samsung is a reportedly a major supplier ( NeoWin: "The maker of the Lumia and Asha phones have relied on Samsung to supply memory chips, displays and other components essential for making smartphones" ) so there must be something going on here since you normally don't burn bridges without reason ( well unless you are Microsoft ). This quote here is what makes me want to hurl ...

Both Apple and Nokia are very skeptical about the "firewall" between Samsung's component business and their smartphone business

If it is accurate then the ex-Softie CEO at Nokia is an Academy Award winning hypocrite. The "Firewall" issue is first and foremost applied to Microsoft whose Operating System division supposedly makes a product for the use of all software developers ( that is the definition of an OS and also of a development platform ) but many have long-distrusted and criticized their lack of "separation". I think we can stop making believe now that the OS division serves anyone except Microsoft ( and yes, this is perfectly okay according to fanboys from Generation Xbox ).

EDIT: added Thurrott comment

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Update of previous update in Post #1854 ...

Nokia Mistakenly Reveals Lumia Windows RT Tablet ( Tom's Hardware 2013-02-14 )

Nokia may drop Samsung as parts supplier ( NeoWin 2013-02-14 )

Apropos of smartphones:

There is little room for a third smartphone platform

Note the guy in the comments section who touts Windows phone sales growing. Well, iOS, even as it lost market share (thanks to Android's runaway lead), in 2012 actually saw total sales go up by more than the totality of Windows phones.

--JorgeA

Microsoft's real mistake is not releasing a new console when they released Kinect. The XNA and used games scandals aren't helping, either. Before this console generation, gamers were accustomed to purchasing a new console every 3-5 years but because both Sony and Nintendo suffered their own drawn out decays, Microsoft decided to join in. Lazy.

Welcome to the discussion!

Yeah, MS has been taking a beating over the used-games issue. Imagine if, in previous decades, you couldn't lend or sell your used records or CDs to your friends, or even take a stack of them over for a party, because the things wouldn't play on other people's equipment. Hardly a selling point.

--JorgeA

If the PC dies, Windows 8 will be its killer, says analyst

The logic IMO is somewhat different from the way it's described in that article. Windows 8 may well manage to kill the PC -- but it would do so because so many people would rather hang on to their current PCs with an acceptable OS, than buy something preloaded with Windows 8.

--JorgeA

"Microsoft's Lost Decade"

http://www.vanityfai...o-steve-ballmer

"Winning business was more important than making great products.

The entire article is quotable though. Very nice read.

cn_image.size.s-ballmer.jpg

Problem with Microsoft started before Windows 8, for example the way they handled Silverlight and killed it... now they are killing off XNA. Thing is, they have lost the trust of their core developers. People like me. When that trust is gone, people like me will not develop for their platform. With Windows 8, they sealed the deal.

From that moment, they were doomed...

http://youtu.be/3RoPtTEswWM?t=44m29s

Edited by ciHnoN

Penguin party: Steam Linux launches with week-long celebration sale ( PC Gamer 2013-02-14 )

Steam for Linux Client Now Available to Download ( Maximum PC 2013-02-14 )

What once seemed impossible has happened, as Gabe promised Steam has gone to Linux with 54 games at launch and with over half of them on sale. If Valve stays on this, over time they will pick off PC Gamers and Xbox customers, those who use Linux whenever possible but grudgingly get an Xbox or PC just for games. It won't be a large net loss of people at first but it will be a net loss ( obviously it does not add any customers into the Microsoft column ). Only Microsoft could have accomplished such a possibility, good work Steve! :thumbup And yes, in the comments some MicroZealots show up to embarrass themselves.

bjGn23Q.jpg

Microsoft CFO Says Company Has No Mobile 'Plan B' ( Tom's Hardware 2013-02-14 )

That's for sure. Let's review the foolproof Plan A: Destroy Windows. Specifically, have some children using the rectangle tool on Microsoft Paint create the Playskool level Microsoft Tiles from gluing together ideas from Xbox, MCE, WP, Windows Gadgets, Active Desktop, Channels, the System Tray and elements of consumer electronic firmware. Then insert it into Windows 7 and rip out all the familiarity like the Start Menu and visual cues, take a sledgehammer to the evolved GUI screen elements like Aero returning it to Windows 1.x amateurism with sharp corners on 256-color shadowless 2D windows and 2-color icons, and for good measure once again randomly re-arrange access to all Windows configuration settings, slap on the name Windows 8 and call it a day. Now take this abomination and announce it as the past future and force it into all possible Windows platforms from phones to tablets, to powerful Servers and Workstations. Now feed it into the monopolized captive OEM channel where they can slip it into the world through attrition instead of by choice. Now stand back as all the hapless victims customers naturally fall hopelessly in love with the old new paradigm, and beat down the doors of Best Buy clamoring for more tiles on even more phones and tablets and computers and soon we will rule the world again! Bwahahahaha in evil voice. Oh wait, what?. ... BTW, isn't it hilarious that "Plan B" is also a name for Emergency Contraception Pills. :lol: So they must be telling us they are having this baby mutant whether we want it or not. It's Alive ...

ozW3Z7l.jpg

Morgan Stanley analyst: Microsoft losing out on billions by not bringing Office to iPad ( NeoWin 2013-02-13 )

This is an interesting thought experiment and quite a pickle for Microsoft ( actual MicroZealot: "...it would be foolish for Microsoft to assist Apple by releasing Office for the iPad." ). Will they do better selling the software direct to the vast Apple ( and other ) Tablet market or keep it in house to try to sell "Windows" tablet hardware. There are way more iPads than there were Macs in the mid-1980's so it should be a no-brainer ( recall that Microsoft sent top-shelf versions of Word and Excel to Apple Macs with WYSIWYG GUI years before the PC had them, or even a functional Windows version ). This is further proof that Microsoft has plain lost its mind and instead of sound business decisions they are making crazy moves that follow no logic. Microsoft, the software company, should be selling all kinds of software for the iPad and other platforms. They have a huge archive of stuff that just needs to be ported and they would be flying out of the stores ( take Flight Simulator for example, a well-known signature game that instead of being further developed was suddenly effectively exterminated, and is but one of numerous titles that should be sold ). Instead of selling software for Apple ( and others ) the would rather try to become Apple. It's that jealousy thing again. ADDED: Thurrott comments ...

When asked whether Microsoft would port its Office suite of applications to Apple’s popular iOS devices (e.g., the iPhone and iPad), Klein offered nothing new: He said that the firm was of course evaluating the opportunity and that the tradeoffs—the success of Office vs. removing a key advantage of Windows products—was fairly obvious. My sources tell me this product is in fact complete and that Microsoft will release Office 2013 for iOS before mid-year.

Nvidia CEO: Windows RT will result in a wonderful PC ( NeoWin 2013-02-13 )

Says the guy manufacturing ARM chips for the Surface RT :lol: You gotta wonder why he feels it necessary to say this. Perhaps because orders were reduced? ADDED: Thurrott comments ... "NVIDIA CEO is Delusional"

IDC: Windows Phone Q4 2012 sales up 150 percent ( NeoWin 2013-02-13 )

You mean sales are up comparing Q4 2012 ( with WP8 launch ) against Q4 2011 ( WP7x floundering ), hmmm, they couldn't possibly go lower could they? Anyway, at least NeoWin cites some numbers and it must have been painful ...

IDC's press release states that the combined sales of Windows Phone and Windows Mobile products came in at six million units worldwide for the last three months of the year, compared to 2.4 million units for the same period a year ago. That was a 150 percent increase and brought Microsoft's smartphone market share up to 2.6 percent.

Even with that big of a change, it was not enough for third place. BlackBerry, despite seeing sales of its phones drop by 43.1 percent in the quarter, ended up in the third position in IDC's chart, with 7.4 million units and a 3.2 percent market share.

Sorry Charlie, it sure looks they lost on every single front, and without Blackberry even being released until 2013 ( yes, it wasn't even available in Q4 ). So it really is all uphill from here. This was a fool's errand hoping to make gains penetrating the mobile space, and destroying Windows for no good reason at all.

Microsoft's Surface Pro Shortage Sham ( Dvorak 2013-02-12 )

Almost forgot this one, now a few days old. Dvorak comments on the obvious marketing stunt with the Surface Pro.

EDIT: added stories, added Thurrott comment, updated image URLs, and again

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot