Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

I want to say Visual Studio around version 6 but then I remember them royally screwing up the offline help system. I'm gonna have to say the last time I trusted them were the early MASM days, and maybe DOS 3.1. But then came DOS 4 and 5 ! :whistle: Nope, I got nuthin.

I went from DOS 3.x (on an 8086 machine) straight into Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (and DOS 6.21). What did they do to DOS 4 and 5?

--JorgeA

Hi to community.

My opinion, after a month using of a Windows 8 is as follows:

1) Metro UI is not so bad, if it works. What that supposed to mean?

Well, as I mentioned already, after a month of using W8, when I tried to do some tweak changes, under the hub, what I get is..regret!

My first frustration:

When I had pulled off default privileges on IE..instantly, Metro IE stops working as it expected to work.

Yet another feign by M$, I presume.. :whistle:

This is a scenario:

Clicking on a Metro IE flag, brings it in a focus, but a few seconds after that..metro IE escape in a background (upper left corner), and instead.. disclosure a whole Metro UI in a front..and in a circle..i.e. clicking on a IE ,(in a upper left corner), it appears..but after of a 1-2 secs. dissapear , and brings a Metro UI,instead..and around..and around...

WTF!?!?! :blink:

Tried every possible options tweak, but in vain.

Yes, Ive tried, also, to return HIS def. privileges under the ControlPanel..but all efforts r useless.

Also,,tried under the Internet Options/Programs/and Advanced to gain a previous state..what u see is what I get :no:

Thats about complacency in regard of Win8/Metro UI.

..list of probs will b continued. :hello:

Edited by TheBigBang

I read all the comments about windows 8 impression and agree with everything said about it. I really like it to go down in drain specially MS ugly Fisher Price Metro crap. I bought it thought because it was only$15 for me. I did not do right thing by buying it because I am giving the MS encouragement that this crap is selling. Anyway I have read so many MS fanboy saying and praising this metro crap but I read this guy's comment about his liking win 8 and I think he takes the crown to be a most retarded MS fanboy of all time.. here he goes.

"

EinoAnttila avatar

EinoAnttila

01/29/2013 04:41 PM PST

I don't give a rats a** about Windows 7 - I think it's a bloated, over-chromed and ugly OS that sure, is a Windows but definitely not for me. I hate the Start Menu and thank god it's gone in Windows 8.

Then again, I absolutely LOVE Windows 8. It's as if they completely read all my wishes an OS should be like - look like, act like and work like.

I absolutely adore the Modern UI and the modern apps the UI enables. I love the Windows Store, and how easy and super quick it is to install AND uninstall apps. I love the fact that you can try out basically every single app for free and most of them are in fact, free. Almost every single app that's actually well made - yes, there are plenty of them, more than I've ever used in a Desktop Windows environment in my life - is more beautiful and enjoyable, more immersive experience to use than a single desktop application in any OS to date.

The social and connectivity integration in Windows 8 is the best any OS has offered out of the box and works gloriously. The mail app, for a "normal person's use" such as me, it works great. I have all my three mails lined up and can see new mails in a glimpse. No more browsing Gmail, and horrible corporate mail-OSses, thank god. And no more horrible, almost impossible to setup UIs on Desktop-mail programs.

I almost never use the Desktop on Windows 8, and I'm loving it just because I don't have to. I love the fact that everything is clean, clear, minimalistic, and most of all -- full screen. Full focus, full work-flow, full on fun.

And, even if you absolutely hated the Modern UI and loved Windows 7, you can always completely hide the Start Screen by simple tweaks, get yourself a better Start Menu there ever was, get that horrible Aero-look back and just enjoy a faster, less of a resource-hog, more secure Windows 7. "

LOL

Edited by canadianguy

"

EinoAnttila avatar

EinoAnttila

01/29/2013 04:41 PM PST

..."

LOL

I work with a big corporation and for our press releases they outsource it to a company which is a marktering company, where they "post it everywhere to create more clicks", long story short they create fake sites which look real and cross post these links and texts.

The very same thing corporations do when they pay bloggers to talk about a product or review it. Same on YouTube where young people or older people or middle aged people review some product they "bought" which clearly is a paid marketing vide. The way they film it and how they only bring good things about it and the negative things they bring up are not really "real" negative things but silly remarks like "oh the shine is a little bad" or something in order to put positive thoughts inside the viewers head about the product.

I am sure that Microsoft also does use such tacticts, sure there are many many many morons out there but this specific comment reminded me that they also most likely hire people to post praises and positive stuff about their products including Windows 8 all over the place. (including paid "articles" in "news" sites like Ars or Neowin) See how he sais "Modern UI" and the part where he talks about the Orwellian Windows store, how he sounds like a salesman, he might very well be a paid advertiser.

Make no mistake, marketing is a serious and almost scary science and we should all be very careful how the corporations manipulate us in order to sell something.

Don't think for a second that Microsoft's marketing department is any different than Wallmart or the big oil or big pharma.

It's the good'ol boys' club and we aren't invited. :ph34r:

Edited by ciHnoN

23GB for user data, in a 900 dollars locked down point of sale device ... http://arstechnica.c...at-youd-expect/

BUT BE HAPPY, IT IS FULL OF APPS APPS aPPs apPS apps aPpS aPps apps apps apps apps apps... repeat efter me... apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps... let's all be dumbed down together... applications are legacy... come'on everyone 1... and 2... and a 3... apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps... OH there is even Office 2013 desktop APP... App app app apps app apps app apps... u got an app? I got an app... app this and app that... app here and app there.. app app app app...

There is no hope for humanity. Now they all call applications/programs for "apps". Monkey sees, monkey does.

:ph34r:

Edited by ciHnoN

Don't think for a second that Microsoft's marketing department is any different than Wallmart or the big oil or big pharma.

It's the good'ol boys' club and we aren't invited. :ph34r:

You know, this is something I don't get about W8 . I am pretty sure the other good'ol boys hate Windows 8 with a passion - how much love do big pharma companies have for Microsoft after W8? I am sure the prospect to train staff to use this kiddie POS puts a big smile on their faces...

How is MS getting away with so much p***ing on their corporate customers?

EinoAnttila

I don't give a rats a** about Windows 7 - I think it's a bloated, over-chromed and ugly OS that sure, is a Windows but definitely not for me. I hate the Start Menu and thank god it's gone in Windows 8.

Then again, I absolutely LOVE Windows 8. It's as if they completely read all my wishes an OS should be like - look like, act like and work like.

that's not even being fanboy, but being retarded :)

Xbox Live service down for Xbox 360, Windows 8 and more [update] ( NeoWin 2013-01-29 )

All hail the cloud. Coming soon to an overpriced underpowered tablet near you - Office 364.

Acer chief hints at low-cost, quad-core slates later this year ( TechSpot 2013-01-29 )

According to the executive, Acer will have low-cost tablets available later this year in 8-inch and 10-inch varieties. The slates would be priced between 150 to 175 euros, or roughly $200 to $235.

This should really help out Windows 8 and RT marketshare. What was the plan again Ballmer? Oh yeah, sell some Apple-style overpriced midrange and highend boutique items and let the rest of the world devour all other sectors. Clearly there is a bug in their Excel 2013 spreadsheet projection formula, the math does not add up. Meanwhile they defile and destroy their high profile cash cow Windows in the process.

Rumor: Microsoft wants a say in Dell's business if it helps with buyout ( NeoWin 2013-01-29 )

The story claims that Microsoft could put in $2 billion or more for the leveraged buyout, but wants a say in Dell's day-to-day operations in return. One possible deal would have Dell agreeing to use Microsoft's Windows operating systems for the majority of the company's products.

If Dell was smart they would run away. If Microsoft were smart they would buy the company outright, a better idea than trying to buy Yahoo for $45 billion. Then they could become MicroApple ( err, MicroDell ? ). Personally I would rather see the feds enter the fray now because this does not help competition at the OS level. But since they stood by silently while all the HDD manufacturers devoured each other, why would they care now.

Ballmer, just make Mike an offer he can't refuse ...

godfather-quotes-4.jpg

EDIT: made intelligible color a little darker

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

23GB for user data, in a 900 dollars locked down point of sale device ... http://arstechnica.c...at-youd-expect/

You beat me to it! I was going to post that, too. ;)

I won't be surprised to start hearing of p*ssed-off buyers who were getting what they were told was a "laptop replacement" only to learn that the 64GB thingy has 1/20th the storage of a low-end real laptop. And then there's the cohort of customers who bought it for the "convenience" of a "mobile device,"only to find out that they need to start attaching SD cards and external USB drives to get any kind of decent storage. But wait, they can get 7GB of space in SkyDrive -- oooohhhh, impressive!! :rolleyes: That'll cover about 2 innings of one of my World Series games.

BUT BE HAPPY, IT IS FULL OF APPS APPS aPPs apPS apps aPpS aPps apps apps apps apps apps... repeat efter me... apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps... let's all be dumbed down together... applications are legacy... come'on everyone 1... and 2... and a 3... apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps... OH there is even Office 2013 desktop APP... App app app apps app apps app apps... u got an app? I got an app... app this and app that... app here and app there.. app app app app...

All I could think of while reading this, was Ballmer doing his "developers" chant:

--JorgeA

Hi to community.

My opinion, after a month using of a Windows 8 is as follows:

1) Metro UI is not so bad, if it works. What that supposed to mean?

Well, as I mentioned already, after a month of using W8, when I tried to do some tweak changes, under the hub, what I get is..regret!

My first frustration:

When I had pulled off default privileges on IE..instantly, Metro IE stops working as it expected to work.

Yet another feign by M$, I presume.. :whistle:

This is a scenario:

Clicking on a Metro IE flag, brings it in a focus, but a few seconds after that..metro IE escape in a background (upper left corner), and instead.. disclosure a whole Metro UI in a front..and in a circle..i.e. clicking on a IE ,(in a upper left corner), it appears..but after of a 1-2 secs. dissapear , and brings a Metro UI,instead..and around..and around...

WTF!?!?! :blink:

Tried every possible options tweak, but in vain.

Yes, Ive tried, also, to return HIS def. privileges under the ControlPanel..but all efforts r useless.

Also,,tried under the Internet Options/Programs/and Advanced to gain a previous state..what u see is what I get :no:

Thats about complacency in regard of Win8/Metro UI.

..list of probs will b continued. :hello:

Welcome to the discussion!

The Metro IE behavior that you describe is very strange. Were you trying to set a different Metro-style browser as the default, and then this happened?

I guess that would be one way to try to deter users from installing anything other than the "preferred" apps. Or to drive them away entirely...

--JorgeA

I went from DOS 3.x (on an 8086 machine) straight into Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (and DOS 6.21). What did they do to DOS 4 and 5?

Well, it wasn't just that Microsoft screwed up DOS 4 or 5, although they and IBM did mess them up, it really is more that after DOS 3.x things got complicated. DOS 3.3 was the end of an era of simple distributions, little variation and predictable results. That is what suddenly changed.

The DOS 4.0 release into the 5.x era brought high profile bad publicity from bugs. Patches were now becoming normal and the workload of techs really started to increase. The technology press was beginning to mature and go after Microsoft, IBM and others causing the bunker mentality causing less timely or accurate or useful information from them. The industry itself was segmenting into groups. IBM, already stung by the i386 coup from Compaq was beginning its march to closed architecture. Microsoft was secretly turning its attention to Windows, they were all about getting out Windows 3.yuk while the IBM and Microsoft OS/2 project was stagnant and really going nowhere. I guess you could say that the world went from a more simple time in the DOS 3 era to a complex time of intrigue and infighting and backstabbing. For the customer and tech it was confusing, where to go, what to get, who to back.

Some saw the new DOSSHELL in version 4 as a step forward, but many of us were already tired of waiting for a reliable GUI launcher and saw it as a foot-dragging half-step. This is also the era when CONFIG.SYS became complicated with memory management and device drivers. I remember thinking why couldn't they just build all the extensions right into the DOS system files instead of us forever tinkering with CONFIG edits and reboots. Well they couldn't because something else was happening, the era of lawsuits and intellectual property with companies claiming ownership of this and that advancement, and as usual only the consumer loses out. It kind of stopped being fun when you had to read so much ( no internet! ) just to understand what was possible, what was allowed, what was affordable.

This is not to say that it was all bad, just really complicated. Ironically, when Microsoft won the OS wars with Windows 3.x, they finally put together the best and most complete DOS to date with version 6 ( although I would say the Win9x DOS version 7 was the ultimate although not standalone ).

BTW, it was because of this fractured late-1980's era with all the intrigue and factions that Microsoft was able to cement its monopoly in the 1990's with Windows 3.x. You see, after going through that rudderless era and painful transition, almost everybody was willing to accept one leader with one OS product that did everything. I know I was one of them, thinking a monopoly at the operating system level isn't such a bad thing as long as it allows freedom everywhere else. Fast forward to the present and Microsoft has proved me wrong.

Memory Lane :: Timeline of DOS ( Wiki, very detailed )

Xbox Live service down for Xbox 360, Windows 8 and more [update] ( NeoWin 2013-01-29 )

All hail the cloud. Coming soon to an overpriced underpowered tablet near you - Office 364.

Not only that, but check this out;

Microsoft's Office 365 Home Premium: What happens when subscriptions expire?

Once the subscription expires, the Office apps will enter a "read-only reduced functionality mode." This means users will be able to view or print documents, but won't be able to create any new documents or edit existing documents.

You can save them to your local storage, but then that defeats the whole purpose of working in the Cloud. It's designed of course to get you to keep paying year after year after year.

While $100/year (OK, $99.99) may sound better than purchasing an Office DVD, consider that many people use their version of Office for many years. Why, at that rate by now the cost of my Office 2007 would be going on $600.

And see this shocker:

It's Now Illegal to Unlock Cell Phones in U.S.

Given that Win8 Metro and RT are really phone OS's, how long 'til those devices get locked? If there isn't a consumer revolt then, then we'll know for sure that ciHnoN is right about humanity. :ph34r:

And I thought that when you bought a phone, you had... bought it (that is, made it your property via trade).

Two more steps on the road to eSerfdom.

--JorgeA

edit: additional story, link

edit 2: fixed typo

Edited by JorgeA

It looks like tech future gets even more bleak than in those dystopic cyberpunk novels. The "evil corps" in those had no cheering fanbois applauding their deeds..

Those authors were not cynical enough. Even Orwell didn't go far enough - the surveillance in 1984 for example was forced, yet force isn't even needed! People feed their most personal data to Google, MS, Facebook, Apple freely, willingly and with joy.

Edited by Formfiller

Welcome to the discussion!

The Metro IE behavior that you describe is very strange. Were you trying to set a different Metro-style browser as the default, and then this happened?

I guess that would be one way to try to deter users from installing anything other than the "preferred" apps. Or to drive them away entirely...

--JorgeA

Yes,that would b mine opinion,also..thats a salary we must 2 pay.

Dont know what means 'a different Metro-style browser' ?

There is only Metro IE style, no others.

Yes,Ive tried to return IE's default values in Control Panel,..tried to manage with Internet Options (in a desktop IE)..to restore all prefs..but nothing happened.