Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

It doesn't get much funnier than this ...

Microsoft's new tablet, Surface, freezes during presentation.

That's a link to the Wimp.com page with the FLV video. I'll try to embed it here ... Didn't work. You might want to save it in case it disappears (url)

Okay then, it is now also up at YouTube. This should embed here ...

The only thing that would have made that video better is if he had dropped it at 0:29. :ph34r: I'm surprised he didn't!

Windows 8 supposedly to be delievered to manufacturers in July

Perhaps with October GA? Like Windows 7...

Windows 8 supposedly to be delievered to manufacturers in July

Perhaps with October GA? Like Windows 7...

I think that is old info. I believe originally that MS wanted to RTM Win8 in July (from January) but that must have changed. There are things on the Connect calendar that are after that July 17-20 period that still predates RTM, although I don't know the exact RTM date either.

also if you watch the Surface Video you see that Ballmer and Sinofsky have charisma of a mummified bread. Ballmer looks like a bear from a circus when he walks on stage and Sinofsky crys all the time to loud :no:

Simply look how Mark Russinovich presents things in videos. He has a great charisma and it always makes fun to watch them :yes:

Ballmer and Sinofsky have charisma of a mummified bread

That sums it up. Zero charisma. I found they both dressed pretty poorly as well for such a big event. Jeans that look to be 15 years old and an ugly blue sweater? It just comes across as a truly pathetic attempt by an out-of-touch old man to look "cool", kind of like Steve Jobs was to Apple fans (no, we're totally not copying anyone!) At least Bill Gates wore a good looking shirt.

Simply look how Mark Russinovich presents things in videos. He has a great charisma and it always makes fun to watch them :yes:

Yes, and Scott Hanselman's even better. He's one of the best speakers I've ever seen at such events.

This guy says what I think about the presentation better than I can express it: Surface: Between a Rock and a Hardware Place

TL;DR: Huge fail (no specs, nothing works), rushed presentation right before Google presenting their tablet so they won't look like they're just following everybody else.

Glad to see the writer suggest that PC buyers could save themselves the $99 charge by using Decrapifier.

OTOH, he reports that MS would put bloat back into users' computers by installing all sorts of Windows Live software on them.

--JorgeA

This guy says what I think about the presentation better than I can express it: Surface: Between a Rock and a Hardware Place

TL;DR: Huge fail (no specs, nothing works), rushed presentation right before Google presenting their tablet so they won't look like they're just following everybody else.

IMHO, this is the core of that blog post:

The message I took away is that Microsoft has concluded that, ready or not, it needed to move now. There is no longer enough profit to be had selling software alone.

That would be ironic, given that Microsoft first got big because (supposedly) IBM decided back in '79/'80 that the real money was in selling the hardware. (How did that work out for them, ultimately?)

Here's another report of how the OEMs are taking the news about Surface.

To suddenly strike out on its own like this at a time when Windows 8 is in the offing is a strategic misstep, said Ahrens. Microsoft is effectively stepping in front of its own customers and disrupting the hardware ecosystem at the time of a pivotal OS launch.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Paul Thurrott proposes on Windows Weekly that MS leave PC users the choice to install Aero Glass on their Windows 8 systems.

Hear the discussion starting at about 35:23. The key section starts around 39:39, but the historical background that precedes it is worth listening to.

Someone like me, who runs a desktop computer, doesn't care about the battery-life implications of something that doesn't impact them, and I happen to like this look, so maybe I want to run Glass and not whatever this new modern UI is, so -- we'll see, I hope they do that.

I do disagree with his assessment of the "muddy" effect -- that truly became the case only with the Win8 DP and CP, which are hardly translucent at all. A black desktop produces dirty-looking brownish window edges. But not on my Vista machines! :)

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

That would be ironic, given that Microsoft first got big because (supposedly) IBM decided back in '79/'80 that the real money was in selling the hardware. (How did that work out for them, ultimately?)
Well, to be fair, the (fairly) new Lenovo Windows 7 AMD x64 Desktops are pretty awesome. Cousin bought one for his daughter last year and it rocks!

Well, to be fair, the (fairly) new Lenovo Windows 7 AMD x64 Desktops are pretty awesome. Cousin bought one for his daughter last year and it rocks!

submix8c,

No doubt Lenovo makes good computers. But that's what I'm saying: it's not IBM anymore.

I remember reading or hearing, at the time of the sale of the PC business to Lenovo, that IBM didn't want to compete in what had become a commoditized (low-profit) PC market.

--JorgeA

Microsoft: Tablets to outsell PC desktops in 2013

"Could the sales of tablets surpass desktop PCs by the end of 2013? That's the prediction from Antoine Leblond, the head of Windows Web Services at Microsoft. Speaking during the keynote address at Microsoft's annual TechEd Europe conference, Leblond said, "Everything used to be desktops, now 60 percent of PCs sold are laptops. Next year, tablets will outsell desktops.""

Meanwhile in other breaking news, screwdrivers continue to outsell hammers, and cars continue to outsell trucks.

Microsoft Windows 8 : it lets you play games like Angry Birds! Seriously.

The solution to everyone's troubles would be use the Windows editions to differentiate more on advanced-ness of feature set. Windows 8 for dumb people and grandmas. Windows 8 Pro for professionals who want every possible tweak and setting and can't tolerate any lack of customization. Now will the morons in the User Experience team ever get this? It might take a few more releases of Windows to fail before the idiots possibly realize that dumbing down is not good for everyone. As long as current dumb and arrogant management is in charge, I don't see it happening. Sadly, XP or even Windows 7 support may not last that long by the time the idiots realize that computers shouldn't be all about grandmas and less intelligent people who only play Cut the Rope and Farmville.

Edited by xpclient

Opinion: Is Windows 8 Worth $15 for New PC Owners?

Pretty good article from Tom's Hardware on the known current information about Windows 8 pricing. It also details the pricing for the last four Windows releases, WinME, WinXP, Vista, and Win7. Near as I can tell this $14.99 cost is the lowest one ever offered since at least the Win3.x era ...

"For mere pocket change, you can reserve a copy of the fancy new OS, which will be a modern version of the Windows 95 concept from 1994. Of course, it’s a matter of perception whether $15 is a great offer or not. There is no doubt, though, that it is another brilliant marketing and sales strategy.

The upgrade offer is in effect now and will continue until January 31, 2013. Windows 8 Pro can be purchased for a mere $14.99 by those who will be buying a “qualifying Windows 7 PC” in the near future. There is no such upgrade option for those who bought a Windows 7 PC prior to June 2. (Such upgrades are a tradition at Microsoft.) Microsoft made the announcement that the revenue derived from such a program will be deferred to the next quarter in order to compensate for a possible dip in OEM revenues – in this case, lower seasonal Q1 sales."

As mentioned previously upthead, this $14.99 price tag is not the cheapest way to go. You can go even lower! See here ...

"As we have reported before, people who purchase their new Windows 7 PCs from a Microsoft Store retail location will reportedly also get some extra benefits for their $14.99 Windows 8 upgrade. That includes invites to free Windows 8 workshops and a $20 Microsoft Store gift card if they participate in the program, which basically covers the cost of the Windows 8 upgrade with $4.99 to spare".

All we need now is a late night commercial with Ballmer doing the Crazy Eddie sales pitch!

Microsoft Windows 8 : Prices so low, we're practically giving it away!

Meanwhile in other breaking news, screwdrivers continue to outsell hammers, and cars continue to outsell trucks.

Which prompts obviously for a random meanwhile picture....:

demotivational-posters-meanwhile-in-very-demotivational.jpg

...but the whole point still being, IF to produce screws hammers are used, and no hammer is produced anymore, once existing hammers will have worn out, it will be not possible to make anymore any screw, and the use of screwdrivers will drop.....

I found they both dressed pretty poorly as well for such a big event. Jeans that look to be 15 years old and an ugly blue sweater? It just comes across as a truly pathetic attempt by an out-of-touch old man to look "cool", kind of like Steve Jobs was to Apple fans (no, we're totally not copying anyone!) At least Bill Gates wore a good looking shirt.

Let me disagree, the way someone is dressed has nothing to do with charisma, dressing like that is simply (and IMHO) a form of lack of respect towards the audience :w00t::ph34r: and it is in this case in perfect agreement with the actual project presented:

NO respect for the users/customers! :realmad:

jaclaz