Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

How DO you find all this stuff??

You don't REALLY want me to tell you. :ph34r:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?s=&showtopic=16534&view=findpost&p=125036

Oooohhh, OK... I won't ask again!! :no:

BTW, very true what you said there about project descriptions in Sourceforge. More often than not, I feel like I know LESS about the program after reading the description, than before!

--JorgeA

Seen on ABC TV's "ticker" at the bottom that MS is planning on RTM for the ARM version for Tablets as we speak to "compete with iPad". No mention of us poor suckers...

Good find -- and thanks for the heads-up!

--JorgeA

Another nice read: Final thoughts on Windows 8: A design disaster

Edit: also Microsoft's headache: Will Windows 8 be another Vista?

Meanwhile, Apple started making Mac Pro laptops with a 2880x1800 displays, or 5.1 megapixels. That's 2.5 times the resolution of a 1080p HDTV or your typical 1920x1080 LCD screen. They're also getting some new cool stuff like Thunderbolt ports. They've also added GPS features to iPhones and iPads, including turn-by-turn navigation and with free map updates as well (Siri is coming to the iPad as well). Best of all: it's all Metro-free.

While MS tries real hard to kill their cash cow (seemingly making Windows Phones isn't exactly helping Nokia either), Apple is busy making incredible hardware that's going to sell like crazy.

So Microsoft did go ahead and spent a boatload of money for a bunch of AOL patents:

AOL sells patents to Microsoft for $1.056 billion

Microsoft Just Bought 800+ Patents from AOL

Hmmm, perhaps we know the reason after all. Remember that picture that CoffeeFiend showed a few pages upthread ...

SyRChl.png

Now I wonder where all the Commodore Q-Link patents wound up.

Microsoft Windows 8 : Please buy it! Your kids will love it (even if you don't)

So Microsoft did go ahead and spent a boatload of money for a bunch of AOL patents:

They also filed new ones.

Example:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-patent-lcd-screen-hygiene,13783.html

maybe they are going to (swiftly) move from software to "Tablet screen sanitizers" :whistle:

We do have some similar examples in the past (please read as "in the future" ;)):

http://collateraldamage.wordpress.com/2006/05/02/douglas-adams-right-again-lack-of-phone-sanitizers-will-doom-planet/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minor_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy_characters#Telephone_Sanitizer

And even an interesting :w00t: start-up:

http://shop.cleanergear.com/

I cannot but find a few similarities between the instructions here:

http://cleanergear.com/support

Instructions-3-step-cleaning.jpg

And the famous toohpick ones:

toothpicks2.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minor_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy_characters#Wonko_the_Sane

John Watson aka Wonko the Sane lives in coastal California with his wife, Arcane Jill Watson, in a house called The Outside of the Asylum (which features interior features on its outside and exterior on its inside). When Wonko saw instructions on how to use a toothpick on a packet of toothpicks,[20] he became convinced that the world had gone crazy and so built the house as an asylum for it, hence the reversal of the interior and exterior.

Humanity is doomed ..... :}

jaclaz

AOL sells patents to Microsoft for $1.056 billion

Microsoft Just Bought 800+ Patents from AOL

Hmmm, perhaps we know the reason after all. Remember that picture that CoffeeFiend showed a few pages upthread ...

Knowing that the first two of the three in that image went off into oblivion within a few years, gives me hope that a similar fate awaits the third... :angrym:

--JorgeA

And even an interesting :w00t: start-up:

http://shop.cleanergear.com/

jaclaz

That's interesting -- I wonder how long it'll be before the whole tablet craze cools off because people get sick and tired of trying to keep the screens clean? I can tell you that's one reason that we haven't bought one: my wife would be disgusted by a smudged, food-encrusted tablet screen, but cleaning it would quickly become just another tedious chore.

As for the rest of your post:

:blink::wacko:

;)

--JorgeA

This woman ruined Windows and Office for me: http://windowmagazine.org/window/index.php?section=Stories&id=234 Can Gates please fire her along with Ballmer and Sinofsky? :realmad::angry:

Ahh, so we may have located the mastermind of the whole Metro outrage!!!

Thanks for posting the link, the article was informative if depressing. No, Ms. Larson-Green, I have zero desire to be connected 24/7. I want to keep a mind of my own, and you know -- believe it or not, there ARE things "out there" beyond the Internet, which I prefer to focus on when I'm out of the office or out of the house. Don't change my PC experience to cater tho those who can't bear to live without their smartphone or tablet. :thumbdown

Handling criticism: Reviews are already coming in on Windows 8, before its release, "I definitely read it all. What I mostly look for is, is there something I haven't thought of? Is there a complaint I didn't expect? A fault I didn't foresee? That's what worries me."

Is she open to suggestion, or just trying to protect her creation against all objections? We shall see...

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

From concept to execution this is a disaster. Creating a touchscreen GUI and intentionally market it (or more accurately, FORCE it) to the hundreds of millions of existing Windows NON-touchscreen systems. What could possibly go wrong!

Well, how about several hundred million computer users succumbing to the inevitable multi-million dollar commercial mega-blitz of wonderful pictures of ecstatic smiling people swiping their fancy screens while they test Windows 8. These hundreds of millions will probably begin (... wait for it ...) swiping on their screens over and over before they start to swear and curse (my Windows is broke! :realmad: )

How To Clean A Flat Screen Monitor

Flat screen monitors, however, require a bit of special care when cleaning. Their displays are much more sensitive and are easily scratched and damaged. The same applies to your flat screen television.

2. If the dry cloth did not completely remove the dirt or oil, do not press harder in an attempt to scrub it off. Pushing directly on the screen can often cause pixels to burn out.

Yep, this is going to end well indeed (one must wonder if Microsoft is buying stock in Display manufacturers, touch *and* legacy).

If there is any real justice, the computer manufacturers will re-direct all support calls related to Windows 8 and Metro directly to Microsoft this time around. "My start screen doesn't move at all when I press on it. Even with a pen! Please help me.".

Although I despise frivolous lawsuits and was disgusted by the government MSIE browser action, I have to say that they may have a problem here, well, it certainly has more merit than Netscape crying about MSIE being included in Windows. One could easily make a case that Windows should NOT include Metro as default on a non-touchscreen hardware without explicit opt-in. When kids (and average users :whistle: ) start poking and prodding with their fingers or stylus objects because they saw it on a TV commercial, their potential liability is obvious. I mean, this is one of the core arguments of the do-gooders jihad on smoking with ads or billboards or magazines or movies or television showing cigarettes. Monkey see, Monkey do. Let's see if their lawyers are smart enough to subtitle their upcoming commercials with a disclaimer: 'when used on touchscreen hardware' or something similar.

And what about all that horrific ultra-bright white background with small dark text! Besides murdering your eyesight (one must wonder if Microsoft is buying stock in eyeglass manufacturers and optometrist and lasik suppliers), anyone who uses a CRT or any other normally dark display technology is actually wasting power unless they manually adjust the physical hardware or change themes and other Windows visual settings (good luck with that).

Epic fail on practically every level.

Microsoft Windows 8 : we know what's best for everyone (and if we wanted your opinion, we'd give it to you)

From concept to execution this is a disaster. Creating a touchscreen GUI and intentionally market it (or more accurately, FORCE it) to the hundreds of millions of existing Windows NON-touchscreen systems. What could possibly go wrong!

that is the issue. Windows 8 is tablet OS.The leaked docs from 2010 showed that Win8 is a Tablet OS:

Windows-8-Windows-Store-07.png

Windows-8-Windows-Store-09.png

Windows-8-Windows-Store-13.png