Running a network dependant script from Autorun.

Sfor

I wanted to run a batch script from the Autostrart. The goal was to copy some files from a server on each system boot. The computer is set, so no user login is necesary, so there is no delay for user input during the boot procedure. As the result the Microsoft Networking services are still not operational during the Autostart procedures. The batch script complains about "network patch not available" (translated from Polish). A moment later, the same script works perfecly.

There is no such problem in Windows 2000. Apparently, all the network related functions are fully operational before the user logon procedures. So, how can I force Windows XP to do the same as Windows 2000 does?

I tried the idea with MMC and logon policies, but it did not changed a thing.

As a workaround I did loop the network patch checking in the batch. So, the files are copied after the patch becomes available. But, I would like to find a more elegant solution.

Edited by Sfor

Ooops. I forgot to translate the Autostart from Polish language version. It should be Startup, I think.

Both the policy rule

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\ Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon

and registry setting

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

"WaitForNetwork"=dword:00000001

did not change a thing, when used alone.

But, if both of them are set in the same time, the Windows XP does behave the same way as Windows 2000 does.

Thank you for your help. The problem has been solved.

Edited by Sfor