Does Social Withdrawal Include Friendships on Facebook?

FlierMate

Twice I deactivated my account on Facebook, just because I couldn't delete my account.

It is understood that a schizophrenic also suffers social withdrawal. True, I have no friends at all, in real life, sort of complete self-isolation and a little anti-social. On Facebook, however, one can add and delete a so-called "friendship". Do you think it hurts when I withdrawn myself from Facebook, just like I did in reality? Yes, it hurts. Wonder why such as fragile "friendship" that can be deleted, with family tie (if any) also be removed with a mouse click, can gain popularity in the communities on the line.

What I wanted to say: While I frequently do this (withdraw myself socially) in the real life and give other no hints about my illness, why would Facebook formally deletes all friendship and notifies each of the "friends" miles-away when I withdraw myself from Facebook through account deactivation?

That's the thing. Social networking fools you into thinking it replaces real life. Friends on facebook, while they may be avatars of people you actually know, are just connections. They are the equivalent to acquaintances in real life. You aren't deleting a friendship, you are deleting an online connection. For example, I have IRL friends that aren't on facebook, so that they couldn't be facebook friends. They couldn't be added or deleted. So how does that non-facebook person relate to a facebook person? They are the same, but the connection they have on a website is really meaningless. I even have friends on facebook that I have not added to the list. What then? :blink:

That's the thing. Social networking fools you into thinking it replaces real life. Friends on facebook, while they may be avatars of people you actually know, are just connections. They are the equivalent to acquaintances in real life. You aren't deleting a friendship, you are deleting an online connection. For example, I have IRL friends that aren't on facebook, so that they couldn't be facebook friends. They couldn't be added or deleted. So how does that non-facebook person relate to a facebook person? They are the same, but the connection they have on a website is really meaningless. I even have friends on facebook that I have not added to the list. What then? :blink:

Good and powerful explanations! Thanks a lot!

Someone is so heart-broken when I deactivated my account -- she thought that I have deleted her, to which she interpret as a deny to our family tie. Some others thought I wasn't nice because I keep deactivate and reactivate Facebook account, she refused to confirm I am her cousin. And quite some others, delete the connection (thank you, super moderator for helping me to see things differently) between hers and I, just because in real life, I have done something that made her unhappy. DELETE {friend on Facebook} is so powerful, a deny to "friendship" in real life through connection on the Internet.

Don't be surprised, when she has deleted me on Facebook, the way she treats me in real life is equivalent to that on Facebook. Come one, I am worry sooner or later that somebody will commit suicide just because I deactivated my Facebook, and Facebook went to delete and notify each of my {friend's connection}. I am the one to blame for taking so serious with online friends and social-network.

You're right. You are able to discern correctly.

• 1 month later...

Twice I deactivated my account on Facebook, just because I couldn't delete my account.

It is understood that a schizophrenic also suffers social withdrawal. True, I have no friends at all, in real life, sort of complete self-isolation and a little anti-social. On Facebook, however, one can add and delete a so-called "friendship". Do you think it hurts when I withdrawn myself from Facebook, just like I did in reality? Yes, it hurts. Wonder why such as fragile "friendship" that can be deleted, with family tie (if any) also be removed with a mouse click, can gain popularity in the communities on the line.

What I wanted to say: While I frequently do this (withdraw myself socially) in the real life and give other no hints about my illness, why would Facebook formally deletes all friendship and notifies each of the "friends" miles-away when I withdraw myself from Facebook through account deactivation?

I dont think so really, even though everyone and their dog uses Facebook, it's pretty useless in the greater scheme of things.

• 4 weeks later...

I dont think so really, even though everyone and their dog uses Facebook, it's pretty useless in the greater scheme of things.

Dude if your dog is on facebook you need to get him on "America's/Britain's got talent".

In all seriousness besides family, my dog and my glock I have no friends either. I spend my days off from work tweaking and hackerin (is that still a ileet word to say?) and sit in front of my computer or xbox. I'm 36 and a grand father. How pathetic do I sound!

• 3 months later...

Hi well lets define friends a friend is someone you can count on that enjoys your company and you do things together. I myself am a loner now as I am old so I have about 2 or 3 friends left that i see but when i was biking I had more friends and the others are just people you know most of them have died now as we lived the hard life hehe. You cant replace a friend you have had for 30 years. This facebook thing I am not involved in nor would I be you never get to really know the person and never do anything together ie fishing camping or what ever and they post everything they do or about themselfs. Just because you know a person that person is not really your friend he would be a acquaintance. I know with the online friends sites ie facebook many people consider this there spot to make new friends and are actally addicted to it. Real friends are hard to find they are trust worthy and would not do anything to harm you, very hard to find these days. If a person is suicidal you quiting facebook would have nothing to do with it. People like that, and I know you always say tomorrow will be better they cant see that they only see there problems or the bad situation they are in and feel there is no way out. I know about this as a few of my friends have done that, its a block they hit and cant get over beleive me I have tried to help them even move them into my house to be with them and give them support but in the end they just cant get over there problems and it happens you cant blame yourself as its a problem they just cant get by and has nothing to do with you. I feel really bad for them but I have also found out there is nothing you can really do when they hit that mode. If you are alone myself I am I have 2 hounds they give me great company and they get you out of the house.

Now Facebook offers the option to DELETE ACCOUNT in addition to DEACTIVATE ACCOUNT.

No need to guess, my name is no longer searchable from Facebook.

Real friends are hard to find they are trust worthy and would not do anything to harm you, very hard to find these days.

Agreed. From what I have learnt, real friends do not keep talking, but listening, and times for silence.

It is life. When we were youths, we have pleasure from life activities with good health. When we get old, our health deterioriates, and we lose funs from life activities that we do.

If there is hope for everlasting life and resurrection, that will be an eye-shining story.

I created a Facebook account only to register my alias before someone else did. And just like Xperties, I have my family, no dog, a Sig Sauer and a M4A1 :ph34r:

Hmmm. :rolleyes:

Some pet therapy would probably do miracles to your social attitudes ..... ;)

jaclaz