Editing Startnet.cmd

mike2bf

Hi all, I am wanting to deploying Windows XP via a DVD or USB stick. I want the user to boot from either media and have the install take place with minimal interaction from the user. On the media I have the boot.wim for PE and my XP wim. I have edited start net.cmd to call diskpart to format the target drive etc then imagex to apply the XP image. I am saving start net in Windows\system32 on the boot.wim. I then burn my iso to a dvd then boot. When I boot into PE my custom startnet.cmd is reverting back to the default. What's going wrong????

Thanks

Mike

You need to commit the changes to the wim file, using imagex /unmount /commit <mount-folder>. Please note that some wim's, like the Windows 7 boot.wim have multiple indexes, so that you mount the right index.

A tip when unmounting and commiting changes is also to close all Explorer windows before doing so. The WIM filter driver in WAIK 2.0 is quite sensible to open file handles.

/ Johan

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 path-to-wimfltr\wimfltr.inf

this is unnecessary (in that we use imagex in winPE and dont run this command), just make sure imagex.exe is actually there and make sure your apply command is syntactically correct. it would probably be easier to troubleshoot if you post your Startnet.cmd, unless of course you are just not committing your changes on unmount as the first reply suggested may be the case.