Cannot find AUTOCHK

dmg

I'm adding sp3 to XPpro original install disk. And, removing some features guided by feature removal guide and configuring for unattended install. I've made 9 disks now with the last having no changes except unattended install and the addition of SATA drivers for Vista machine and IBM laptop drivers. Unattended install works on each disk but all have failed after install with 'can't find AUTOCHK' &then BSOD. The original sp2 disk works correctly. The last disk I made had no significant alterations as I'm thinking I've previously changed something that nLite does not warn about. I made eLite XPpro disks for these same machines a couple years ago with a different XPpro disk and they worked correctly. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I've wasted too much time already. Attached is my last session. Thanks...

Gee lets see:

Your attachment did not go through.

Are you susing this in a buisness enviroment? (You seem to be) In which case no-one here will help you. Read nLite license that you agreed to when you installed it.

Are you using win7b as your running OS when making these disks?

Yes, let's see: Thanks, nice to meet you. No, I'm not in business. These are my home computers. The one laptop runs my Amateur radio (that means hobby). One belongs to my wife. Third is a desktop. Maybe you assume business because I made nine disks? I made each disk because the last one didn't work. An exercise in patience. I did read the agreement and I'm complying. No need to be salty. Just a guy having a very difficult time. I've been dividing my HD's in two partitions for years so I can keep files and data on D: and wipe and reinstall the OS on C: when there's problems I can't fix. It's worked well until last month when XPpro formatted both C&D. I like unattended install because I reinstall the OS more often than most and I like having the OS setup immediately the way I use the computer. My earlier venture with eLite worked very well once I understood the program.

I'm making the disks on the very same OS that I'm updating and altering, but on different computers. I don't know how to account for my 'last session' file not arriving. I'm resend the file using the advanced upload.

I must be causing the AUTOCHK problem with some action I've taken in eLite. I can install this original XPpro or another over the failed setup and it loads and runs correctly. All the modified disks load completely and then when the OS should start, it says can't find 'AUTOCHK' and then BSOD & stop whether or not the disk is still in the drive. Thanks for taking time to help me. I appreciate your expertise....

Unattended install works on each disk but all have failed after install with 'can't find AUTOCHK' &then BSOD.

"works on each but all have failed" :huh:

I searched for "autochk". Your problem is probably with unattended (well, as it's the only thing you do anyway...)

See here for same problem.

Edited by Ponch

The unattended install is working well on each disk I've made, but the install is failing at the end when the new OS should start.  Did my LAST SESSION file arrive?  I'll send it again. Is can't find AUTOCHK an unusual problem with eLite modified install disks?

Thanks Ponch... I read Tetrapro thread. He's doing much more than my modest alterations. I'll drop unattended install; I like it, but it's not critical. I do want to eliminate much of the OS that I don't use. Guess I'll just start over w/o silent install. I've made some very useful disks before w/o silent install. I've wasted way too much time already. Thanks for your help...

The file is AUTOCHK.EXE which is located in the \windows\system32 folder.

Whatever else it does, it is responsible for that awful "Waaahhhh I got shut down

improperly so I have to scan all my hard drives for the next several minutes" message

on reboot. Forbid there should be an error in Windows :)

Do this: by whatever means make a text file in the folder and name it AUTOCHK.TXT

Place this text in the file, just so it won't be a zero length file: ; This is a fakefile

ony the semicolon really must be there. Now save the file and rename it as

AUTOCHK.EXE Now Windows should quit complaining and you'll never sit thru

another drive scan. BTW I'm an amateur radio operator, too. If this reply is

inappropriate for here place a query on www.*E*H*A*M*.net 73 tnx qso es cuagn di-dit

Thanks Slinkie... My system is still down so my email is round about my wife's laptop. I can't write to any files because the install never quite completes. When XP should start, I get 'can't find AUTOCHK' and then going on without it and blue screen. I've made two install disks sincemy last post w/o unattended install and nothing significant removed from the OS, but it still hangs up when the install looks complete and XP should start. I'm installing to a IBM 600x laptop that's been running XPpro for years w/o problems. The original XPpro install disk installs w/o problem. I used nLite on another XPpro disk a couple years ago and it worked very well.

Someone told me that AUTOCHK.EXE is probably in it's correct place, but the OS doesn't find it because something has caused the HD to be hidden. I've used the recovery console to repair the boot sector, but no joy there either. Truthfully, I'm out of my depth at this level, but I could understand an explanation and follow directions. Thanks for your help. 73