USB device driver issues

Cyker

Hey all, got a weird problem, hoping someone's had something similar before and managed to fix it!

A friend has a Huawei e1752 mobile broadband dongle which just won't install on their laptop.

When you plug it in, Windows detects a USB composite device but instead of installing automatically, it brings up the driver install dialog.

If you click through it, it then says the drivers are not Windows Logo certified and do you want to continue or stop installation (i.e. it does the same thing that would happen when you try to install unsigned drivers).

It'll then continue, installing drivers for Mass Storage etc. asking each time and I can get to the install screen of the emulated CD-ROM and install the software, but the software can't enable the modem-mode of the dongle :/

So what the heck has happened to this laptop?

I had a similar problem with a normal USB stick in the past but fixed it by running:

regsvr32 Softpub.dll
regsvr32 Wintrust.dll
regsvr32 Initpki.dll
regsvr32 Dssenh.dll
regsvr32 Rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 Gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 Sccbase.dll
regsvr32 Slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 Mssip32.dll
regsvr32 Cryptdlg.dll

but that didn't work here.

I tried sfc /scannow and that found a bunch of corrupted files and repaired them, but still I get the USB driver requests and the dongle doesn't work.

Short of rebuilding the whole laptop (We're not that good friends...), what the heck else can I do?!

I don't know what else is corrupted or how to fix it :S

Has anyone else dragged themselves out of a similar situation?

It seems there are a lot of confusion about this device. I found some places:

http://forum.huawei.com/jive4/thread.jspa?threadID=331103&tstart=0&orderStr=null

They have a regular forum too you can look through where that link comes from. Its annoying, ever page opens in a new tab/window. :rolleyes:

The link for their "new" forum doesn't seem to work. I haven't heard of this company until just now.

Thanks for the reply :)

I hadn't heard of them either but it seems they're quite prolific; They appear to make the mobile broadband dongles for almost every cell company in the UK :lol:

I had been scouring google and other boards and forums for this problem which is where I got the regsvr32 thing above, but haven't found anything specific. I have a feeling the problem isn't the actual broadband dongle but some problem with Windows XP itself on that machine.

A friend of mine has suggested I boot to Linux, backup the system32\config\system. file and replace it with the one in the repair folder to see if that sorts out the device drivers, otherwise it's looking like a rebuild is the most straightforward (If insanely time consuming) fix... crybaby.gif

Hi,

I know this might seem like a daft reply but try the device on another machine, if it does the same on a different machine then it's the device that has issues and not the copy of windows, could save you a couple of hours install and config time then.

Regards

Scott

It works perfectly on every other machine we've tried it on, just not hers! :lol:

I tried doing a repair install but even that hasn't fixed it (If anything it's made it worse! USB devices no longer ask for security confirmation to install, but now the Orange software for the dongle crash on install! :lol:)

We've basically given up and told her to return it and swap it for a MiFi dongle or something instead...