OWA Issues

BeardedBlunder

My employer (local government) recently "upgraded" their microsoft exchange server version to 2010.

By policy mailboxes are all a standard size, but mine overfills with things which must (often for legal reasons) be retained, Unfortunately, I can find no way to save messages from OWA to my local hard drive, is there one? They will *not* increase my mailbox capacity, frankly I'm reaching a point where a "hotmail account rebellion" seems in order as even the free accounts have WAY more capacity than I've been allocated.

Any ideas how I export things?

Failing that I'll end up setting up a free live mail account, installing WLM (against the rules) & forwarding everything to myself so I can free some space...

I don't see one myself. But if there is a legal reason why you should be able to save your message, OR have an increased mailbox, you should contact the admin. Companies will usually (hopefully... maybe) try to keep on the good side of any legal argument.

I assume they have blocked the ability to use the full Outlook version so that you could copy/move them there to a local PST in outlook.

Can't do that in Outlook Web Access. :no: You can't even save a mail, not even in txt/rtf.

The only solution is to save attachements on your USB key (or other) and delete the mails if applicable.

You can point them to addons like "Entreprise Vault" that compact attachement to an external storage server but it's costly, not easy to implement and has side effects.

I wasn't asking about OWA, I'm talking about the full Outlook client included in Office.

With Exchange you have the option of using OWA, or if the firewall has the hole poked in it to the exchange servers to use a MAPI connection with Outlook. If configured you can also use IMAP and any email client that supports IMAP (Thunderbird, etc.).

If he can use Outlook as a MAPI client he can save the emails to a local PST. Might have to check with the email admin to see if this is an option.

Or create an archive folder within OWA and move mail to save into it then once a month ask the mail admin to create an archive.pst for you of this folder and give it to you. Then once you determine everything was archived delete the contents of the archive folder and use the Outlook (not OWA) when you need to access the archived info.