Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification Utility

UltimateSilence

You mean this? http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/rtf/en/5576.htm

As you can tell the servers still have the files and they are still working, but this is one that I did not get a direct link too since it was worse than worthless even when the WinUP site was working for Win98. All it was was a bot that ran the site's scan in the background eating your bandwidth and if you needed anything at all, no matter what you thought you were doing today - Bam there you were at the WinUP site downloading and installing the latest update no matter what else you had in mind. And since most of them needed a reboot, what ever you had got done was at the very least interrupted.

Since the site doesn't work anymore, there is no scan to run so you would not be able use Internet Explorer without it spending all it's time on this pointless quest endlessly. Dumb as a box of hammers.

You can have my copy, it will need to be installed using the right click install choice when you right click on the enclosed .inf file. Uninstall via Add/Remove Programs under the name of Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification.

And if you're scared of the file you can always check it's right click properties for the expired Microsoft Digital Signature - I haven't figured out how to fake one of those just yet. There were only a couple of .cab file updates for 98, the rest were IExpress packaged executables again all with digital signatures just for the squimish.

Saved from the Catalog site when it WAS working:

com_microsoft.windows98andwindows98secondedition\x86Win98\com_microsoft.CUN_40_98_recupd_5576

cun.cab

You mean this? http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/rtf/en/5576.htm

As you can tell the servers still have the files and they are still working, but this is one that I did not get a direct link too since it was worse than worthless even when the WinUP site was working for Win98. All it was was a bot that ran the site's scan in the background eating your bandwidth and if you needed anything at all, no matter what you thought you were doing today - Bam there you were at the WinUP site downloading and installing the latest update no matter what else you had in mind. And since most of them needed a reboot, what ever you had got done was at the very least interrupted.

Since the site doesn't work anymore, there is no scan to run so you would not be able use Internet Explorer without it spending all it's time on this pointless quest endlessly. Dumb as a box of hammers.

You can have my copy, it will need to be installed using the right click install choice when you right click on the enclosed .inf file. Uninstall via Add/Remove Programs under the name of Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification.

And if you're scared of the file you can always check it's right click properties for the expired Microsoft Digital Signature - I haven't figured out how to fake one of those just yet. There were only a couple of .cab file updates for 98, the rest were IExpress packaged executables again all with digital signatures just for the squimish.

Saved from the Catalog site when it WAS working:

com_microsoft.windows98andwindows98secondedition\x86Win98\com_microsoft.CUN_40_98_recupd_5576

Thank you, ShadeTreeLee!

I downloaded the attachment and I couldn't "install". When I clicked on the .exe or .inf, I was asked where I wanted to extract the files. I now have one WUCrtUpd.exe file.

Am I doing something wrong?

WUCrtUpd.exe

Edited by UltimateSilence

Yeah kinda. You should extract both files into a folder using WinZip or extract.exe in DOS mode and then right click on the inf file which will give you the 'Install' choice in the context menu. You then select that choice which then launches the inf installer engine which reads the inf file and follows it's directions as to where to copy the files to and what registry entries to cook up thusly installing the file. You know you got it when you see the entry to uninstall it in the Add/Remove Programs list.

One of the first tips I gathered from the Internet was how to do all of this using a batch file - from PC Forrest, an ancient guru, anybody remember him?

rem setup.bat from PC Forrest

rem

for %%1 in (*.cab) do extract %%1 /E

choice /c:d /td,1>NUL

for %%2 in (*.inf) do RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %%2

echo off

cls

make that a batch file and put in the same folder with only the cab file. It would be best if the folder was a simple named one in the TEMP folder so that complications surrounding long file names are not then a problem. Then double click the bat file, also simply named. And then look in the Add/Remove Programs list for the new entry.

I added the time delay via choice.com since I did run into problems where the extraction wasn't completed before the inf tried to launch which of course doesn't work out too good.

More inf file help in the help file from WillyPad (direct link 392k). Which is a kinda supposed to be a NotePad replacement deal, but has some wild INF file writing helpers like importing .REG files and translating them into inf file lingo ready to use. I use it for inf file work alone, metapad is just too good to not use for the way too weak notepad replacement. And WillyPad is not a real contender either, sorry snoopy. Snoopy used to have a web site, but no longer.