Suggestions for large file hosting service?

E-66

I have a few files I want to send to a friend that are too large to send as e-mail attachments. My ISP doesn't offer an FTP service so I guess I have to use a site to host the files. I have ZERO experience in this area so I don't know where to start and what sites to look at and which to avoid. I've had two suggested so far - http://www.dropbox.com/ and http://www.filedropper.com/ but don't know anything about them.

Just looking for some suggestions from people who use these types of sites on a regular basis. Thanks.

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Depending on the size of the files, you could still compress and split the files (a little below the max size you can send by email) you want to send if you don't want to relay on a third party.

I've used SkyDrive, but it has a single file upload limit of 50MB I think. Mediafire seems popular tho.

According to Wikipedia, on 2011/06/20 SkyDrive increased their limit to 100MB. However, I'm currently hosting a 100.89MB file. Your mileage may vary.

MediaFire Pro works well for me. Can't comment on their free service since it's been a few years since I've used it.

• 2 months later...

If the person is your friend you can, make a torrent file, and send them the torrent and then he uses it. That is the ultimate purpose of that usage is. Not to upload anything to the net, and still transport for middle-men class users ( like most of us ).

No Email that can be browsed

No P2P to be browsed

No uploading of files to random persons server.

Just remember that various clients have their usage. You want to make one, that points to the file location, and then send it to them, someway. Keep in mind, anybody that gets ahold of that file,

are able to go snooping for file location.( or at least what I understand ).

2. create your own FTP server, which can be done on a windows XP, and some UNIX interfaces. OS9 and OSX can also do this ( I think ). However you need to know instructions, and for safety create a password.

3. Old News: Microsoft has an at home internet mail server program. Their are tons of these, from many many years ago.

4. I forget this program name ( but it was discussed on the forum somewhere in the 98 section ). You can use a service, to gain access to your desktop, and log into your computer while you are at work. My professor would do this a lot, and it has been used in the military during the Oriental 2001 days ( with permissions problems ).

5. You can also setup a temporary website from your home, but you need to filter the net, otherwise a whole bunch of requests ( users ) will come thru ( if that is the correct word ).

Edited by ROTS