CD/DVD drives work only when starting Windows with a disc inside

ivanbuto

Hi all,

I have the following problem under Windows XP SP3. I have two optical drives - one DVD drive (Teac DV-516E) and one CD-RW drive (Teac CD-W522E). The problem affects each of the drives independently.

Assume I start the computer with the given CD drive empty. If i insert a CD, Windows will not detect it and will say "Please insert a disk into drive..." upon double-clicking the drive in My Computer. However, if I restart the computer and leave the CD inside, Windows will read the CD upon restarting. Also, I can then change the CD and Windows will again read it normally.

Or in other words, if I start the computer with the given drive empty, I cannot use it - I must start with a disc inside in order to be able to use the drive.

I thought this might be a hardware problem. Since I have a dual boot set up on this machine with Windows 98 (which I now use sparingly), I tested under Windows 98 and the drives works normally there.

Any suggestions?

I have definately heard of this before, but since it works in Windows 98, you probably don't need to check the jumpers. Although it may be worth noting whether or not they are running in master/slave or cable select mode. My first recommendation would be to install the latest chipset driver for your motherboard.

Thanks for the replies. I checked jumpers, tried various combinations of the drives in different IDE channels, none of which helped... finally I found out that even logging off and back on is enough to get the drive going... then I realized that some time ago I had put Nero Drivespeed to load at startup, with the aim to automatically reduce the reading speed (and thus the noise) of the CD mechanism. Removing Drivespeed from loading at startup fixed my problem. :)