Tethering Nokia phone for use as a modem...?

Click Beetle DX

Hello, all.

I've just recently added T-Mobile's 3G internet to my Nokia N8. Under XP, I can tether the phone to my computer via USB cable then connect to the internet through Nokia's PC Suite. Unfortunately, the last version of PC Suite that runs under Windows 98 is 5.8, which is from 2004 and doesn't support my phone or 3G internet. And, the newer versions of PC Suite refuse to install under 98 even with KernelEx.

I would prefer to be able to use this speedier connection under 98 rather than XP, as I don't care much for using XP (can you blame me?). When I set my N8's USB connection mode to "connect PC to internet," Win98 tries to install drivers for this mode, but, of course, it fails (since I don't have PC Suite installed). Are there any "generic" drivers I can use as a substitute for this? Or any other possible work-around?

Thanks in advance.

Back in the days of Altel, It was easy to tether. It was free internet if you got the phones modem drivers and hooked it up. I used to work at a pc repair shop and most people dont know about tethering so I hooked them up with thier altel phones for free internet. To bad verizon took over and put a stop to that. That was in 2009, I now have a T-mobile phone which Im sure does not work the same, most cell company's state in fine print they do not support tethering for internet and will insist you buy a net card or usb adaptor for their network. This is the most I know about tethering, although others may know more, im not sure.

Edited by mrsk565