2012 Project Wish List

jumper

Instead of a WDM hardware driver repackager / installer it could be easier to build a repository of already repacked drivers. However, there could be some legal issues with distribution of modified drivers.

Manually repackaging drivers is not easy. Any tools to aid that process would be very useful.

Perhaps a repository could contain original drivers along with repackaging instructions or a config file(s) for any tool(s) used.

For now, anyone who has managed to get a non-9x hardware driver to work on their 9x system, please create a topic thread containing the details (including where to download the original driver).

For now, anyone who has managed to get a non-9x hardware driver to work on their 9x system, please create a topic thread containing the details (including where to download the original driver).

Well, if it involves using WdmStub, then it may be better to post in the WdmStub thread, to make it easier to find later (rather than a separate thread).

Joe.

• 3 weeks later...

This sounds like a project wish to me:

I haven't heard if Xeno86 had found anyone to carry on work on KernalEX?

I am wondering if it would be possible to fix the win9x bug with out major programing work on file names with things like "? * / ..." or in other words non-dos characters?

This problem has been around for years, Netscape used to do it all the time.

More and more files end up having these naming errors from zip'ed, rar'ed files to things like saved web pages.

Since the file names can be made by these apps then the windows file system should be able to support them.

But windows 9X doesn't, you have to shell out to a dos prompt and play games to rename the critters.

Its just a royal pain to have to play games on one these files.

This also brings up another bug and that is path length, I'm sure this would be a big mess to fix though but it sure would be nice to have fixed also.

My experience with FAT32 is that apps escape any characters that would be illegal: %3F %2A %2F ....

Would hooking the system file APIs to un/escape name strings work?

Would unicode file names be a problem (or a solution)?

What about path length limits? The problems I run into here usually concern command-line parameter passing to (my) apps or DOS batch files.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am beginning work on a configuration tool for KernelEx with these features:

• Edit registry settings:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KernelEx

• + AppSettings

• - Configs
        - Flags

- KnownDLLs

[*] Edit CORE.INI settings:

• - [ApiConfigurations]
    + [<OS>]

• - content, inherit, desc

- [<OS>.names]

[*] Disable new functions / stubs via

• CORE.INI -> DCFG1.names -> <module>.<function>=none
  • string hexing in KEXBASEN, KEXBASES

This should open the door to adding new and improved functionality to Win9x. New DLLs can extend the API via export forwarders (Link or fwd) or possibly CORE.INI (content, .names).

Suggestions for a project name, features, implementation, GUI, usage, etc. are highly desired! :hello:

This should open the door to adding new and improved functionality to Win9x. New DLLs can extend the API via export forwarders (Link or fwd) or possibly CORE.INI (content, .names).

I have upgraded my DLLHOOK to work with KernelEx 4.5.2 and developed a VXD Version that insures that all DLL references are hooked.

I have already tested it using SumatraPDF with KernelEx and a PrintDlgEx DLL.