Which Service Packs, Mods, KernelEx, Patches you use

mrsk565

Well first off I'd like to say hello to everyone and thanks for the greats Mods you have created. When I first went back to win98se a few weeks ago I didnt much like not being able to run alot of programs I use to. But then after searching and finding this place I am very happy. I started out with the beta SP 3-4 newest. Then got RP9.7 and everything was running great. The win Me killer replacements pack did not help my pc on performance so I had to do clean install again. This last time things went good but the wupd pack which has alot of updates and other tools did slow my pc down again. So I got rid of what I could since you really cant uninstall this pack. Now I have a pretty fast and stable win98se.

One problem though, I use kernelex 4.5 final and firefox 3.5. It seems like I cant get flash 10, any versions, I can get flash 11 but I am worried it maybe too much for my pc on resources and such. My system is an IBM thinkpad r31, intel 830m graphics, 512mb ram, 1.6ghz processor.

Directx 9.0a, opera 10, visual c++2005, hopefully this info helps. My main question is, There are so many updates and packs on MDGx free wesite that often I wonder which ones I really need and which ones are overkill and may slow my pc down just being there for no reason. My interests in computers are for video streaming, video playback on vlc. Music and gaming. Gaming is perfect on here by the way. So thats what I do on my pc. I guess the only real problem is that when watching youtube,

sometimes it skips somewhat and the processor works hard for maybe 10sec then stops. I know its not a fatel error but it can get annoying sometimes. Any good advice?

EDIT -------- I am having the hardest time with firefox, and flash 11. Once in awhile I will get the BSOD an / or errors saying it has to close an even kernel32 saying it needs to close resulting in sometimes a system lock or freeze which ctrl+alt+del to restart has to be done. I use the easy youtube downloader plugin on firefox to download videos. as I was downloading a video few min ago, I clicked on my bookmarks and hit the one to come here, Bam BSOD. So I restarted by hiting those keys and tried it again doing the same thing i did before. No problem this time. Why am I having these troubles, and why will it crash sometimes and not all of the time i do these things. Please help, if anyone has a good version of flash or firefox combo that works let me know, thanks

Edited by mrsk565

You can find old versions of the Flash Player on Adobe's website, down to version 2:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html

As for youtube's skip, if it's not network bandwidth related , flash vids are quite cpu intensive especially since flash 10 so not a lot you can do I guess if they max out your cpu apart from playing at a lower resolution if available.

As for youtube's skip, if it's not network bandwidth related , flash vids are quite cpu intensive especially since flash 10 so not a lot you can do I guess if they max out your cpu apart from playing at a lower resolution if available.

Yes Cpu intensive, firefox 3.5 + flash 11 = cpu intensive, Although firefox 3.5 is the first to offer a more extensive plugin library and what I need. Anything below 3.5 will cause browser errors that were a pain in the butt back in the day. Anything below flash 10 will not be supported on most websites. flash 9 does not have the tech to make a good clear picture like 10 and may not support 360p.

EDIT-------- I found it, version 10.1 of flash works. I go to Oldapps website to find java, directx, and flash, which there is alot of versions but I hit the right one finally. Im sure others must be getting the crashes on thier browsers without the right version?

Anyway I got it and will be testing it out. Also since I have a good flash now I will find a better version of firefox. Remember guys, firefox has a settings page to speed things up. I will also test this as well.

When its all said and done my summary of what my best setup will look alittle like this

CPU - Intel 1.6ghz

RAM - 512mb / 600mb page file set to constant for min and max

Chipset - Intel 830m 32mb shared

OS - Win98se

Packs - RP9.7, SP Beta 3-4, KernelEX 4.5 final, Ad. ASPI 4.60, NUSB3,.Flash 10.1, Java 1.6, Visual c++2005, Directx 9.0a

WEB - Firefox 3.5, Opera 10.00

Audio - SoundMax

Gaming - N64, Playstation 1, super nintendo, nintendo, and many pc games

Summary - This computer has all the requirments to handle most 3d gaming and video playback or multi-media enjoyment. And can handle Surfing the internet without any problems. It is only when confronted with modern and high performance programs that in todays world is where things can become strained with this pc. It is my recommendation that the system be keep fully maintained and free of any un useful files or programs.

Edited by mrsk565