-

Copland

Do you still have a PS2 ?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still have a PS2 ?

Never had a PS2 (or any Playstation for that matter). You really shouldn't be surprised at this trend. Nintendo knew back in the '80s when they called their first North American console the Nintendo Entertainment System. Entertainment encompasses more than just games. ;)

Well recently I have found that game consoles are turning into pc's

Before that, a lot of PCs were pretty much turning into consoles. I mean, they're both a computer that's able to do several tasks, there's no reason to cripple them.

they can do too much stuff [snip] when they do this problems like overheating happen more often

No. Not at all! Features like using them as a media extender are very welcome, and no, such things don't make a console overheat, much like installing MS Word on your PC won't make it overheat. It's just more software installed on a hard drive or flash, and it doesn't run at the same time. It doesn't cause any problems.

Yeah, I still have (and love) my PS2! :whistle:

Tell that to the 3 or 4 PS2's I've been through (mainly v12's with dying lasers). Again, it's definitely not being able to run a different program than a game that made them fail. I've happily given away my games, controllers and memory cards.

nintendo make good stuff

Definitely NOT! The ONLY strength Nintendo has is games: they have a lot of fun games that nobody else has which appeals to a broad audience. But their hardware is complete JUNK! My kids have been through 3 DS or DSI's (including some where the back buttons failed in the first week, the old volume slider that wears out ridiculously fast and is overly loose -- same with the screen's hinge, cheap screens with dead pixels, etc) and the Wii ain't much better quality-wise (I've seen so many people with dead controllers too). It's no wonder the console doesn't overheat: its CPU/GPU are a dinosaur compared to the other consoles. It's sad that you need a SD card to store basic things on it too. Its software it's a bad joke as well. The online play might as well not be there. Also, even the newest versions of the DS can only connect to highly insecure WEP encrypted APs (there's simply no excuse for that in this day and age, WPA is like 10 years old!). I've even seen developers who ranted about how little the Wii SDK helps them compared to the other consoles.

• 7 months later...

I bought a Wii two years ago played it for a few hours then I put it back in the box. I need a real controller for non Wii-ish games. I still pull out my PS2 once in a while there are some games that won't play on my PS3.

Chiming in... ever heard of a Commodore? Silly people bought them to play games on, never realizing they were actually computers.

The best "gaming consoles" (AFAIK), are custom-built "real PC's" - software is (apparently) available to "emulate" the older CD's/ROM's or even "rip".

A poll such as this is rather limited. (see poll question)