Solved - Missing Bootsplash in 98SE

UltimateSilence

How do I bring back the boot splash? (Stupid question, I know. I've never done it before...) AutoPatcher removed it.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I am kind of in a hurry...

Thanks for all of your help.

Edited by UltimateSilence

For 98SE, use Microsoft's "Tweak UI" (version 1.33 only), available from several sources, including http://download.cnet.com/Tweak-UI/3000-2072_4-2830963.html . Before making changes, a system backup, including backup of the Windows Registry, is recommended.

I wish I had thought about that before I tried to reinstall Windows 98 (so foolish). Now all of the Themes besides "Windows 98" are missing...

When I try to reinstall Windows using the CD, it gets to 100%, reboots, and says "Getting ready to run Windows for the first time"; the system then opens SCANREG and restores my previous configuration (the reinstallation never finishes).

What can I do?

To restore the boot splash, check the matching line in TweakUI, or just copy back "Logo.sys" and "Msdos.sys" from you windows CD to c:\.

I'm a bit confused about the rest. What exactly do you mean by "I try to reinstall windows from the CD". ? Do you mean you reinstalled OVER your existing Windows install ?

To restore the boot splash, check the matching line in TweakUI, or just copy back "Logo.sys" and "Msdos.sys" from you windows CD to c:\.

I'm a bit confused about the rest. What exactly do you mean by "I try to reinstall windows from the CD". ? Do you mean you reinstalled OVER your existing Windows install ?

Thank you. TweakUI fixed the problem yesterday.

I did try to reinstall over my existing installation.

The problem has been resolved.

I had to remove the Desktop Themes component through Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Setup Tab. I rebooted after that, and reinstalled them using the Windows 98 Second Edition disc.

Thank you all for your help.

EDIT (01/01/2012): You can lock this now if you like... :unsure: