ERROR: Unsupported Operating System language.

digitalnerd

Hi,

I've really been getting into tweaking my own custom copy of XP for personal use. I really admire how super fast and automated everything can be after installing and setting up XP over and over for YEARS!!

I'm trying to figure out which component removal contributes to the error I am getting with WSUSoffline updater?

Starting WSUS Offline Update (v. 7.2) at 9:34:57.72...

Checking user's privileges...

Determining system's properties...

ERROR: Unsupported Operating System language.

Ending WSUS Offline Update at 9:35:06.67...

F:\wsusoffline\client\cmd>

Anybody seen this before?

Thanks,

I'm trying to figure out which component removal contributes to the error I am getting with WSUSoffline updater

And how would we know what you removed ? Please read the big red bold text up your screen and you might get more help.

I'm trying to figure out which component removal contributes to the error I am getting with WSUSoffline updater

And how would we know what you removed ? Please read the big red bold text up your screen and you might get more help.

I apologize for that.I admit to rushing my post and not seeing the obvious.

With the current "Last Session.ini" I am usable to use:

- WSUS Offline Updater

- Access the machine remotely with RDP (Remote Desktop Connection) or browse it's shared folders on the network for that matter. (can't figure out how to get the "Remote" tab to come back in system properties either)

Thanks for your help.

Sorry again Ponch for not posting my .INI settings.

EDIT: Also, if anybody sees things that I have removed and suggest that I should keep them, I'm open to all suggestions. The other way around as well, would like to know things that I have kept that might just junk after all.

Last Session.ini

Edited by digitalnerd

UPDATE:

So far, from the current attached .INI I have tried leaving (not removing any) ALL NETWORK (still no WSUS OFFLINE or RDP (or R"emote Tab") access or access file sharing over the network.

Also tried leaving ALL SERVICES as well and still no WSUS OFFLINE or RDP (or R"emote Tab") access or access file sharing over the network.

I can only assume leaving all the OPERATING SYSTEM components will cure this unless it's combination of all 3?

-Digital

Just some thoughts, maybe not related to your issue, but then again, maybe yes.

- Maybe it has something to do with nLite working on Windows 7. It should work since you're not slipstreaming service pack, but it's kind of uncharted territory. It's not definitely known what kind of errors can occur.

- Things I don't remove (in theory they should create no problems if removed, but I decided a long time ago, mostly by intuition and observation, and without any solid proof, that they are better left alone):

Auditing Resource Dlls

Extensible Storage Engine (Esent97)

Help and Support (*)

Input Method Editor (**)

DNS Client (*)

Internet Authentication (IAS) (I'm not sure I have it and/or is hidden by my compatibility options)

Message Queuing (MSMQ) (*)

Network Location Awareness (NLA) (*)

Performance Logs and Alerts (*)

Protected Storage (***)

Task Scheduler (*)

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Text Services Framework (**)

Uninterruptible Power Supply (*)

Universal Plug and Play Device Host (*)

WebClient (*)

* I disable the service afterwards

** because I need Office

*** I set the service to manual afterwards

I'm not saying you should do exactly like me, but believe me, I also would like to have these things gone. However, through experimenation and countles fails I have concluded they are better left alone. And it was such a long time ago I don't even remember the reasons for some of them. But everything is working as expected, and I even have the Remote tab which I promptly unregsvr32 after installation. :angel

* Edit: From NETWORK I would deselect just NetShell Cmd-Tool and Network Setup Wizard, all others seem OK to me. About SERVICES I wrote above, and from COMPONENTS i would deselect Ethernet (LAN), Printers and Wireless Ethernet (WLAN), just in case.

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

Just some thoughts, maybe not related to your issue, but then again, maybe yes.

- Maybe it has something to do with nLite working on Windows 7. It should work since you're not slipstreaming service pack, but it's kind of uncharted territory. It's not definitely known what kind of errors can occur.

- Things I don't remove (in theory they should create no problems if removed, but I decided a long time ago, mostly by intuition and observation, and without any solid proof, that they are better left alone):

Auditing Resource Dlls

Help and Support (*)

Input Method Editor (**)

DNS Client (*)

Internet Authentication (IAS) (I'm not sure I have it and/or is hidden by my compatibility options)

Protected Storage (***)

Task Scheduler (*)

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

WebClient (*)

** because I need Office

I'm not saying you should do exactly like me, but believe me, I also would like to have these things gone. However, through experimenation and countles fails I have concluded they are better left alone. And it was such a long time ago I don't even remember the reasons for some of them. But everything is working as expected, and I even have the Remote tab which I promptly unregsvr32 after installation. :angel

* Edit: From NETWORK I would deselect just NetShell Cmd-Tool and Network Setup Wizard, all others seem OK to me. About SERVICES I wrote above, and from COMPONENTS i would deselect Ethernet (LAN), Printers and Wireless Ethernet (WLAN), just in case.

GL

Thank you for your wisdom and experience Grof!

I'm definitely going to give your recommendations a try since they seem true and tested. I'm aching to move to on to Windows 7 but i myself so deep in this and close to how I want it to be, can't leave it unfinished.

I'll report back with my results and final .INI.Thanks again for your input!

-Digital

unfortunately after deselecting the recommended suggestions, still no REMOTE TAB, or WSUSOFFLINE capability.

attached is my latest .INI config.

i alsed this:

atrace.dll……Async Trace DLL

mstsc.exe……Remote Desktop Connection

racpldlg.dll……Microsoft Remote Assistance

rcbdyctl.dll……Microsoft Remote Assistance

rcimlby.exe……Microsoft Remote Assistance

rdsaddin.exe……Microsoft Remote Desktop TSRDP Session Add-In

safrcdlg.dll……Microsoft PCHealth Remote Assistance File Open & Save controls

safrdm.dll……Microsoft Help Center Desktop Manager

safrslv.dll……Microsoft Help Center Session Resolver

sessmgr.exe……Microsoft® Remote Desktop Help Session Manager

... delete racpldlg.dll and rcbdyctl.dll and keep rcimlby.exe

credits @

Last Session.ini

Edited by digitalnerd

Now I really don't see anything that would create these problems. Maybe the source is tainted somehow or the fact you're working under Windows 7.

GL

Good news, looks like Windows 7 was the culprit! Repeated the exact same process on a XP stock OS and worked perfectly! Strangely, I tried a different source on my Windows 7machine and it worked out as well. Definitely has something to do with the updates contained in the source I think.

When you say you "disable" and "set to manual" afterwards. That is after installation right? I know you can set a couple of services in nLite as well but most of what you mentioned is not there. Either way, I'm happy with the results.

Thanks for your support GrofLuigi!

will post back with final .INI :D

Yeah, very rarely will nLite totally break something, even with many things removed. Most often the reasons are external - unclean source, double processed source, working under Vista/7, antivirus meddling...

And yes, I meant after installation. I also noticed it's not good to make too many changes to the "services" tab in nLite. Maybe it's Windows that's not happy, but...

Glad you made it work! :thumbup

GL

• 3 weeks later...

Auditing Resource Dlls

Help and Support (*)

Input Method Editor (**)

DNS Client (*)

Protected Storage (***)

Task Scheduler (*)

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

WebClient (*)

** because I need Office

GL

@ GrofLuig

For the services you mentioned that do not have 1 *, 2 **, or 3 *** Astrix, or do you just leave them at default?

For example, what do you set the following to since they do not have an Astrix by them:

Auditing Resource Dlls

The strange thing is that I don't see the following services listed in my Nlited OS as well as a regular stock OS of XP Pro:

Auditing Resource Dlls

Input Method Editor (**)

Internet Authentication (IAS)

I guess if they don't exist and everything is tested and working so far (including office 2010), I can probably assume it's OK?

Just like you, I want the best performance and the least amount of of stuff I don't need and won't ever use. What are your thoughts on the mentioned services??

EDIT: Uploaded most recent settings.

for_grof.ini

Edited by digitalnerd

Those are not services, they are in Nlite sections components or network or operating system options... So no state to be set to.

I don't see them in your latest INI, so they are not removed (I hope you didn't run Nlite twice on the same source and removed them ina previous run :) ). It seems OK now.

GL

Those are not services, they are in Nlite sections components or network or operating system options... So no state to be set to.

I don't see them in your latest INI, so they are not removed (I hope you didn't run Nlite twice on the same source and removed them ina previous run :) ). It seems OK now.

GL

Nice, thank you! Finally got my server back up and running with this slimmed down custom XP image. Super fast install and lite on the resources, can't ask for more. :)

Do you have any experience with RT7Lite? I've started a couple of topics over at:

--> The driver for the device was found once I inserted an SD card. Heard of this happening on XP as well.

So far so good on the tweaks I've made up to this point with the exception of the bluetooth and updates problem. Still need to research each removable selection in more detail. You are welcome and encouraged to test out my presets. Something tells me we have similar preferences.

- Digital

Edited by digitalnerd

Yeah, If I could strip everything but the kernel, I would do it in a heartbeat,but it doesn't work that way. :(

I don't have too much experience with 7, I use Windows7 Toolkit. But Win7 itself is even more unfriendly towards removal, it has many more hidden/unknown dependencies and many more components overall, so I'll wait until I have more time to tinker with it (which might be never :wacko:).

Before it came out, Win7 was supposed to be "modular", but now nobody (from the officials) even mentions it. :realmad:

GL

Yeah, If I could strip everything but the kernel, I would do it in a heartbeat,but it doesn't work that way. :(

I don't have too much experience with 7, I use Windows7 Toolkit. But Win7 itself is even more unfriendly towards removal, it has many more hidden/unknown dependencies and many more components overall, so I'll wait until I have more time to tinker with it (which might be never :wacko:).

Before it came out, Win7 was supposed to be "modular", but now nobody (from the officials) even mentions it. :realmad:

GL

"If I could strip everything but the kernel, I would do it in a heartbeat"

Couldn't agree more! I guess that is why there are so many linux users. I mess around with ilnux too but the reality is that we live in a Windows world my friend.

"I use Windows7 Toolkit"

Nice, just discovered and started using that one myself. I noticed it's getting lots of development lately which gives me high hopes to custom Win7 the way I would like too. RT7Lite is just too buggy right now.

"Win7 itself is even more unfriendly towards removal, it has many more hidden/unknown dependencies and many more components overall"

That would definitely explain why so many things were broken after numerous runs at RT7Lite.

" I'll wait until I have more time to tinker with it (which might be never :wacko:)."

:( I hear that. So much out there, so little time to do it.

"Before it came out, Win7 was supposed to be "modular", but now nobody (from the officials) even mentions it. :realmad: "

False advertising gone spoiled!

I wonder if Windows 8 is supposed to be more "modular"?