Is MBAM a general anti virus and malware tool, or just malware specifi

I was disappointed to find a file I thought suspect was passed as OK by a fresh and updated install of AVG Free, under a clean of XP Pro with all updates on from MS. I trusted it, ran the .exe file and got a terrible set of infections, the worst being that damned ping.exe virus and something eventually discovered to be Rootkit.ZeroAccess I thought I had rid of everything, then found I could no longer make Firefox my default browser, and was finding both blank and populated windows of IE8 launching. I need the laptop for work, and despite it being freshly loaded with a lot licenced automotive diagnostic stuff I decided to do a full (not quick) re format, and reinstall XP Pro from scratch. I then re flashed the BIOS witha fresh bios image from Dell, downloaed via a clean PC. With no internet connection I then loaded the Recovery Console files from a virgin MS XP Pro CD, and ran fixMBR and the command to rebuild the boot sector, which I forget. I am now at the stage where I can start installing my applications again, or should I reinstall XP pro again, knowing (hoping...?) the boot sector and MBR are clean? What I also do not fully understand is if MBAM is an adequate standalone virus checker for viruses in general, or just for "malware" whatever that means, which I think could be different things to different people. I now find my trust in AVG (albeit it was only a currently updated free version) gone. If MBAM is not a sufficient tool for all round protection what should I be looking at please? Great forum!

My two cents:

In my experience, MalwareBytes is not adequate. It does not have real time protection (unless you pay for the application).

I recommend Avira. It does have a real time guard (that uses low system resources), and a very high detection rate.

- If you are still having trouble with rootkits, you could always try the standalone program, TDSSKiller.

Edited by UltimateSilence

Malwarebytes is able to find and remove rootkits, but I use it on an as needed basis. As far as an actively running antivirus goes, this would only be used in situations when you are doing something that leaves you open to getting a virus. Safe browsing and security habits are always the best protection.

• 3 weeks later...

@Basil

no MBAM is not meant to be your first and main defense line, its supposed to be a second opinion.

now my opinion about your situation, dont pay for mbam pro unless you have extra cash lying around.

mbam have really unique and high detection rate.its proved by many tests done by individuals and if you get pro ver along with your av thats a really good setup IMO.if not pro, stick to free ver and do a whole system scan once a week.

now as for your AV (your main protection) i think the good ones are:

-Free: Panda cloud AV (of course you need to have internet acces all the time), comodo IS, Avira(avira has low web threat detections and zero-day prevention mechanism)

-Paid: very wide field but i suggest Bitdefender, Bullguard, Emsisoft

-scans you can do weekly/monthly for peace of mind: Emsisoft Free, MBAM Free

-wanna stay safe on the web?: Bitdefender trafficlight addon, Panda URL Filtering <-- both free

hope it helped, be careful out there on the web ;)

Thanks Woomera. I have a fresh install on a fully re formatted drive now, and have been using Avast free version for some weeks now. I find it far less resource hungry than AVG free was. Not sure how good it is, for every opinion on AV there seems a contrary one lurking elsewhere ;) I will download the MBAM version and as you suggest, run it weekly for peace of mind. thanks everyone for the very helpful replies, and a belated happy New Year to all.

Edited by Basil