98SE stops booting?

UltimateSilence

Hello,

I have a problem with Windows 98 Second Edition. At times when I attempt to start (or reboot) the computer, the operating system stops booting. The bar at the bottom of the bootsplash stops, and the computer becomes completely unresponsive. The only way to rectify the issue is to press the power button (the computer has no reset button).

I could connect the computer with the problem to the Internet and post the bootlog.txt file (if necessary), but I was hoping that someone would already have a solution (e.g., if you've experienced the problem yourself, etc).

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by UltimateSilence

Does the computer boot normally after hitting the power button?

-Sure, post the bootlog.txt file, it couldn't hurt. More info the better.

-this may sound dumb, but have you tried running scandisk? (if you haven't, turn off the background programs by right clicking their icons on the system tray, and exiting whatever programs are running. Then run scandisk.)

Does the computer boot normally after hitting the power button?

-Sure, post the bootlog.txt file, it couldn't hurt. More info the better.

-this may sound dumb, but have you tried running scandisk? (if you haven't, turn off the background programs by right clicking their icons on the system tray, and exiting whatever programs are running. Then run scandisk.)

Yes, it does. I will gladly post the bootlog.txt file.

I've run scandisk multiple times (most of the time it found errors, and fixed all of them). It did not correct the problem.

Yeah, usually those file errors are created right after the failed boot attempt like you reported.

It will take longer, but have you also tried running a "surface scan" using scandisk? There might be some bad clusters on your disk, and perhaps they haven't been marked yet, depending on the last time your ran a surface scan, if ever. Just a suggestion. I know that's a pain in the butt (takes my computer about 10 hours), but it's worthwhile to do every few months.

If it comes back where the hard disk has NO bad sectors, then I'd format the disk and reinstall windows. If it DOES have bad sectors/clusters, then I'd look into replacing the hard drive.

Other than that, I don' know what to tell you. If the hard drive is %100 okay, then good. If not, then personally I'd toss it. I hope you have a good copy of Windows 98 on CD.??

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

BOOTLOG.TXT

Yeah, usually those file errors are created right after the failed boot attempt like you reported.

It will take longer, but have you also tried running a "surface scan" using scandisk? There might be some bad clusters on your disk, and perhaps they haven't been marked yet, depending on the last time your ran a surface scan, if ever. Just a suggestion. I know that's a pain in the butt (takes my computer about 10 hours), but it's worthwhile to do every few months.

If it comes back where the hard disk has NO bad sectors, then I'd format the disk and reinstall windows. If it DOES have bad sectors/clusters, then I'd look into replacing the hard drive.

That might explain it.

Yes, I've used the Thorough scan option (telling it to scan system and data areas). I've also set it to check files for invalid file names, dates and times, and duplicate names. Scandisk has never detected a bad sector(s) or cluster(s).

Anyway... I apologize for taking so long to post this. I was having trouble with my network adapter (would not load for some reason).

Bootlog.txt is attached.

BOOTLOG.TXT

From your bootlog:

[000FF318] Dynamic load failed C:\WINDOWS\system\MRCI.VXD : [000FF318] File not found

[000FF426] INITCOMPLETEFAILED = SDVXD

[000FF272] LoadFailed = ndis2sup.vxd

Obviously, you're missing some important files. Or else they're corrupted. Something isn't loading right.

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

UltimateSilence, is this booting problem in any way related to the booting problem in your other thread?

In a sense, yes. They both started occurring at around the same time. Unless the computer boots normally, then one of those two problems occur.

I could post Belarc results (I think I can do that). The other programs did not work.

-

I will look at the links. Thank you, Foxbat and ScrewUpgrading.

EDIT: Can I use the following commands listed here in an MS-DOS prompt?

Yes, just ignore all the "       " crap.

Basically what you'll be doing is changing the file attributes to Read Only, System, and Hidden File.

Plus then you'll be renaming two files: dblspace.bin, drvspace.bin

*Advisement*

I hope you have a BOOT DISK handy. Just in case you need to re-rename those files. In case it makes it worse.

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

Yes, just ignore all the "       " crap.

Basically what you'll be doing is changing the file attributes to Read Only, System, and Hidden File.

Plus then you'll be renaming two files: dblspace.bin, drvspace.bin

*Advisement*

I hope you have a BOOT DISK handy. Just in case you need to re-rename those files. In case they don't work.

Oh. Thank you.

I will post a new bootlog.txt file and Belarc results.

Belarc:

My apologies for not doing this sooner in the SP3 thread. I honestly didn't know I could do this.

Bootlog.txt:

BOOTLOG.TXT

By boot disk, do you mean a startup disk? I have two of those floppy diskettes...and a Windows 98 Second Edition disc.