resources run out quickly on multiple youtube tabs in firefox

esecallum

resources run out quickly on multiple youtube tabs in firefox for some unknown reason on windows millennium.

i have a elitegroup ECS R480 -M- 1.0 motherboard with a Athlon 3200+ processor running at 2ghz with 512 meg memory.

today i put in another 512 meg ram memory in to the second slot.

(here is a tip by the way many people have problems with installing a second memory stick into the second memory slot.as it will not boot and starts beeping.this happened today and i ordered a single 1gb from ebay as the second stick caused boot failure with beeping...

i tried one last time and pushed the memory stick down really hard in the middle in the memory slot..and when i booted it worked showing 1024 meg memory in system!!.)

to get back to resources running i read somewhere here in MSFN the issue has been resolved for win me but i cannot find this solution and i was wandering if anyone knows where it is and what the solution is.

basically the icons and fonts go black and large size and and the thumbnails disappear and it gradually freezes or slows down.if i shutdown firefox it seems to solve it temporarily.

THIS STILL HAPPENS EVEN THOUGH RAM MEMORY HAS DOUBLED FROM 512 TO 1024 MEG.

how can this resource issue be solved?

i have a multiboot system and it does not happen on xp.

Win ME + KernelEx and Revolution Pack playing 8 Youtube vids simultaneously in one instance of Firefox 8.0 using Flash plugin 11.1.102.55 without problems. This uses about 400MB of RAM and there is no apparent consumption of User or GDI resources.

So what's wrong with your system? Give us a bit more details about your software setup.

Edited by loblo

Win ME + KernelEx and Revolution Pack playing 8 Youtube vids simultaneously in one instance of Firefox 8.0 using Flash plugin 11.1.102.55 without problems. This uses about 400MB of RAM and there is no apparent consumption of User or GDI resources.

So what's wrong with your system? Give us a bit more details about your software setup.

Nothing is wrong with my system at all.i have winme on c: drive and xp on the other 3 partitions.

they all work fine.i have had winme for years and its awesome.everything is snappy.

winme is very fast and stable on c:

however it does run out of "resources" whatever they are.

i am running firefox version 2.0.0.2 and trying to run multiple of 3 to 6 youtube tabs.

it usually happens after a few minutes to 10 to 20 minutes into youtube.

the fonts become larger,icons are shown black,youtube thumbnails disappear...everything slows down.

installing another 512 mb of ram did not make any difference.it is not a cpu processor issue as crystalcpuidle shows clock speeds/freq and voltage as normal.

where is this revolutions pack and kernelEX and has it been tested for this issue.is it reversible?

do you have install both or just one of them?

thanks.

Edited by esecallum

You are mistaking system resources for RAM. It has nothing to do with RAM. Adding more will not resolve anything. You start with a set amount of resources and once you run out, you will need to either close the application to recover some of it, or reboot. Windows XP is not affected by this.

It is well known that Flash will sap your system resources, with some Flash websites consuming resources more quickly than others. Opening multiple tabs of the offending website will make it worse. To minimize this, open less tabs, and avoid running resource intensive applications. You can monitor your resource usage by going to Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Resource Meter, if it is already installed.

Near the top of this part of the forum is the sticky: Important "Stickified" [Pinned] 95/98/98 SE/ME Topics. There, you will find, among many other useful things, the Revolutions Pack and KernelEx. These will help you avoid running out of resources when you're on Youtube.

Tihiy's Revolutions Pack, apart from making Windows look modern, it also reduces the resource use of Flash and other programs. Once you use it, you'll wonder how you used Win 9x all these years without it. Xeno86's KernelEx is for running some XP programs on Win 9x.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Foxbat

where is this revolutions pack and kernelEX and has it been tested for this issue.is it reversible?

I see you have edited your post after I added my post. Revolutions Pack does not touch your system or the registry. It installs and uninstalls clean. KernelEx is slightly more complex, but is also very reliable, and can be uninstalled as well. They have been in use for YEARS. Good enough? If you want to play it safe, backup first.

do you have install both or just one of them?

They're separate applications. You can install one or the other, or both.

RP should decrease the resource usage, so it is more important to install it. I'm not sure if KernelEx deals with resources.

i installed RP and i could run 7 firefox youtube tabs and froze pc on the 8th youtube tab.required reboot on 4 times.

when running firefox on non youtube webpages it seemed ok but when i launched AOL 9.00 browser to check my emails it a message came up...your system resources are very low unable to open email..blah...blah.

when i tried to exit Aol 9.0 i had to use ctl-alt-del and it caused a black wallpaper effect.the gdi meter stated zero resources.

kernelEX had no effect either way.

also i wonder what i should do with the extra 1gb samsung ddr ram i purchased above...i have 2 x 512mb sticks already..should i replace one of the 512mb sticks with the 1gbstick..can you have different amounts of ram in the lots?...i googled but get conflicting info.

the existing 2x 512 mb ram is elsevir and the new one 1 gb ram is samsung.

Edited by esecallum

i am running firefox version 2.0.0.2 -snip-
Do you mean Firefox v2.0.0.20? Also what version of Flash player are you using ("about:plugins" in the address bar)? That could be a problem.

You've already been told about the RAM (re-read previous post) - not necessarily relevant, however if the MoBo will accept them, use whatever you wish according to the manufacturer's specs as to type,size, and slot (just try them). How do you have the Page File set up - is it "fixed" size? "AOL9.00 Browser"??? What are you talking about? Isn't that just the "supplied" Internet Explorer that came with an AOL9 Dial-Up Install CD?

Edited by submix8c

i installed RP and i could run 7 firefox youtube tabs and froze pc on the 8th youtube tab.required reboot on 4 times.

when running firefox on non youtube webpages it seemed ok but when i launched AOL 9.00 browser to check my emails it a message came up...your system resources are very low unable to open email..blah...blah.

when i tried to exit Aol 9.0 i had to use ctl-alt-del and it caused a black wallpaper effect.the gdi meter stated zero resources.

Having Revolutions Pack installed doesn't mean you can go crazy. You have more resources to go around, but you can still run out, especially with buggy resource intensive applications. Freezing after opening so many YouTube tabs isn't surprising. The more you try to open, the closer you are to pushing your computer over the edge. This is normal. Don't open so many YouTube tabs at once. loblo might be able to push his computer further because he's under a different configuration.

i am running firefox version 2.0.0.2 -snip-
Do you mean Firefox v2.0.0.20? Also what version of Flash player are you using ("about:plugins" in the address bar)? That could be a problem.

You've already been told about the RAM (re-read previous post) - not necessarily relevant, however if the MoBo will accept them, use whatever you wish according to the manufacturer's specs as to type,size, and slot (just try them). How do you have the Page File set up - is it "fixed" size? "AOL9.00 Browser"??? What are you talking about? Isn't that just the "supplied" Internet Explorer that came with an AOL9 Dial-Up Install CD?

I always use conservative swap file and it is only 350 mb.this made win me very snappy and responsive.

Aol 9.00 BROWESER IS IE from aol cd...for dialup and broadband sign in... but heavily customized by AOL.It is a resource monster...much worse than I E alone.

Having Revolutions Pack installed doesn't mean you can go crazy. You have more resources to go around, but you can still run out, especially with buggy resource intensive applications. Freezing after opening so many YouTube tabs isn't surprising. The more you try to open, the closer you are to pushing your computer over the edge. This is normal. Don't open so many YouTube tabs at once. loblo might be able to push his computer further because he's under a different configuration.

i understand but it seemed to be worse when multitasking although i could open 7 youtube tabs in firefox 2 0 0 2 with out the slow down but when multitasked with other applications it seemed worse...

by the way i came across a very interesting article which i urge everyone to look at as although it says it is for xp in relation to GDI i wonder if it could be applied to win me?

http://weblogs.asp.net/mikedopp/archive/2008/05/16/increasing-user-handle-and-gdi-handle-limits.aspx

===========================================================================================================================================

i quote:-

"....Don’t quit the Registry Editor just yet - we still need to make some modifications in order to increase the handle limits in Windows.

With the Registry Editor opened, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems. You will notice a set of “REG_MULTI_SZ” and “REG_EXPAND_SZ” keys in the right hand pane. The one that we are interested in modifying is called “Windows”.

To modify the key, double click on it. It should look something like this:

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,3072,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16

The section of this string we are interested in modifting is “SharedSection”.

In the SharedSection part of the string you will notice 3 numbers. What we are interested in is the middle value, “3072?. Modify this value so that the middle number is “8192?.

It should look something like this after modifying the value:

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,8192,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16

Now that we’ve changed this, lets continue, shall we?

In the left hand pane of the Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows. In the right hand side, you will see two REG_DWORD values, named “GDIProcessHandleQuota” and “USERProcessHandleQuota”. We will need to modify both of these.

The first key we will want to modify is “GDIProcessHandleQuota”. This keys value can be set between 256 and 16,384 (maximum), and the default value is 10,000. I’d recommend using 15,000 as a value for this key, however if you are doing a lot of multitasking, shoot for the stars and go with 16,384.

This key can not be set past 16,384 as it is the maximum acceptable value.

Now, lets modify “USERProcessHandleQuota”. This keys value can be set between 200 and 18,000 (maximum), with a default value of 10,000. I’d recommend increasing this value to the same number used with “GDIProcessHandleQuota”, however as previously mentioned if you are working with a hefty application workload, shoot for the stars and go wth the maximum value of 18,000.

This key can not be set past 18,000 as it is the maximum acceptable value.

Do NOT attempt to increase these values past the maximum - Windows will become very unstable and may even stop working correctly. If Windows starts acting up after changing these values, lower them until the issues are resolved, or restore the backups of these keys’ values that we created before making modifications.

Now that you’ve changed these values, restart your computer and tax the system using the Internet Explorer trick mentioned previously - open Internet Explorer and hold down Ctrl+N on your keyboard to open up new Internet Explorer windows. Continue this until menus, buttons, and user interface elements stop working correctly. Also, open any applications you run day-to-day while you are performing this, so that you can get more of an idea if you have everything configured correctly.....

i understand but it seemed to be worse when multitasking although i could open 7 youtube tabs in firefox 2 0 0 2 with out the slow down but when multitasked with other applications it seemed worse...

Of course it will be worse when multitasking. You're using even more resources.

by the way i came across a very interesting article which i urge everyone to look at as although it says it is for xp in relation to GDI i wonder if it could be applied to win me?

http://weblogs.asp.net/mikedopp/archive/2008/05/16/increasing-user-handle-and-gdi-handle-limits.aspx

There is no super duper registry hack or silver bullet fix for Win 9x, without extensively rewriting the kernel. This was discussed long ago, and continued here; The 16bit heaps expander thread; which lead to the prototype GDI Heap Extender; whose next iteration was Resource Salvation Technology that was implemented into Tihiy's RP9; which you are using right now. It's the best we have.

If you really want to penny pinch every last resource, there is one more thing you can do. First, backup your registry. Then copy the following into a text file (including the last two blank lines) and rename the file's extension into ".reg".

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"UserMaxHeapSize"="4096"

Now double click the file to merge it into the registry. Reboot. This will give a slight improvement to your resources. It's only a tiny amount, not an invitation to go and run Firefox 2 with 10 YouTube tabs and 5 other programs.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by Foxbat