Router 'breaks' after massive download

JorgeA

Hello,

Last Friday I downloaded the Windows 8 Developer Preview, probably the biggest single download I've ever performed (3.63GB).

I don't have the world's fastest DSL service, but it seemed to take an awfully long time to finish the download -- till well into Saturday. More important than the nominal download speed, though, was what started to happen next: Saturday afternoon I started to experience dropouts in my Intenet service. Many websites would not load, others only partially. A cloud backup on Saturday night ran like molasses, and never did actually finish.

The problems continued into Sunday and Monday. By Monday night, it had gotten to the point where I couldn't even retrieve my e-mail into Outlook from Verizon's servers. Attempts to access Verizon webmail directly via browser (IE8 and Firefox) could not open the page. Oddly, I could do Google searches, but clicking on result links would open to pages that would never finish loading.

In case the problem had to do with my main computer, I tried other PCs on my network, but they had no better luck getting to my homepage (or anyplace else on the Web).

So, Tuesday afternoon I spent an hour with Verizon tech support. He ran through a wide array of tests and procedures, eventually settling on the Verizon-supplied router as the source of the problem. I have a new one on the way.

Now, however, just a few hours later, everything seems to be working fine again. This change, and the sequence of events, reminded me that the last time I did a very large >1GB download, I also experienced sluggish Internet performance -- and also ended up ordering a new router, which I then cancelled because the old one stopped acting up after my tech support call!

I don't want to point any accusatory fingers, but this happening for the second time does make me wonder: Is it possible that there may be some kind of hidden, unofficial bandwidth throttling that makes it look like my router is acting up? :unsure: Have you heard of anything like this being done "behind the scenes" by this or other ISPs? Or, is it possible that the router experienced some kind of burnout that it took a few days to recover from?

Ideas, hints, or cynical conspiracy theories are welcome. (Please identify as to which of these they are. ;) )

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Did you try power-cycling the router and DSL modem before calling Verizon? WideOpenWest's automated support center makes this suggestion before forwarding its callers to a live technician. It's good advice.

Did you try power-cycling the router and DSL modem before calling Verizon? WideOpenWest's automated support center makes this suggestion before forwarding its callers to a live technician. It's good advice.

5eraph,

I tried that a couple of different times before calling, but no dice.

--JorgeA

Are you using stock or custom firmware?

Tripredacus,

Custom firmware on a router modem? I didn't know that was possible. No, it's using whatever there was in it when it arrived.

So I guess the answer must be that it's stock firmware. :)

--JorgeA

Are you using stock or custom firmware?

Tripredacus,

Custom firmware on a router modem? I didn't know that was possible. No, it's using whatever there was in it when it arrived.

So I guess the answer must be that it's stock firmware. :)

--JorgeA

I wasn't aware that you had a combination unit. In my area, Verizon only supplies router/modems to FiOS customers.

I wasn't aware that you had a combination unit. In my area, Verizon only supplies router/modems to FiOS customers.

Oh, interesting. What do they supply to DSL subscribers?

Yes, my unit is a Westell 6100F. Matter of fact, it was on MSFN that I learned that it's a combo modem + router.

Still working great since the slowdown episode, BTW.

--JorgeA

I had DSL at one point just over a year ago. They provide a little black "modem" that is (technically) a 1 port router. It only has 1 pots and 1 ethernet port. I do still have it, it is made by Westell but I don't remember the model. Of course, I don't know how long you've had that modem (or service) but you may have been in a pilot market. Usually the ISPs will test new hardware in certain markets for a period of time to determine whether or not they should push it for everyone else. Also, your market may have different capabilities as far as the DSL network goes too, you never really know. I'm not in that business anymore, but I doubt that the way those companies operate has changed all that much.

I had DSL at one point just over a year ago. They provide a little black "modem" that is (technically) a 1 port router. It only has 1 pots and 1 ethernet port. I do still have it, it is made by Westell but I don't remember the model. Of course, I don't know how long you've had that modem (or service) but you may have been in a pilot market. Usually the ISPs will test new hardware in certain markets for a period of time to determine whether or not they should push it for everyone else. Also, your market may have different capabilities as far as the DSL network goes too, you never really know. I'm not in that business anymore, but I doubt that the way those companies operate has changed all that much.

Tripredacus,

Your description sounds an awful lot like my 6100F, wouldn't be surprised if it turned out you had the same exact model. I've had it for three years now (since I got DSL) and it's still available -- that's what they offered to send as a replacement.

And the old one's still working, no further problems. I'm tempted to do another gigantic download to see if it acts up on cue again!

--JorgeA

Cheap consumer routers often tend to have issues with prolonged heavy usage (fixed by a reset) but downloading one large file wouldn't cause that. The switches in them also overheat and the network connection just "disappears" then, but that requires a LOT more data than that (like 100GB+, depending on the model). But DSL modems... They tend to run pretty darn hot in the first place. I know my old DSL modem had issues EXACTLY like those you mention. I'd let it cool down and the problem would fix itself. Next time you download a large file, I would have a look at its signal strength to see if it drops or such.

But DSL modems... They tend to run pretty darn hot in the first place. I know my old DSL modem had issues EXACTLY like those you mention. I'd let it cool down and the problem would fix itself. Next time you download a large file, I would have a look at its signal strength to see if it drops or such.

Huh, interesting! I'll remember to do that and see what happens.

Thanks, CoffeeFiend.

--JorgeA