Re: Windows 2000 Professional boards/chipsets

trimis

Actually I had Windows 2000 installed on Foxconn A76ML-K 3.0 (AMD® 760G + SB710). I didn't experience any problems related to graphic cards (I used two - the integrated one + external one).

My board (770 + SB710) has no integrated video, so no integrated video support on its install DVD. Also, the cards I'm using are nVidia (just in case yours were ATI). Just looking for possible differences as possible clues (or grasping at straws).

You may want to try installing UURollup-v9b. I doubt it will help in solving this particular problem but it's the easiest way to install almost all unofficial updates at once. If it doesn't help then at least you'll be sure the problem is not related to system updates.

Tried it. No difference. Tried running AMD's driver detector/downloader, but (naturally) it doesn't want to run on Win2K. Haven't been able to find any AMD drivers for this chipset that claim to run on Win2K (which seems odd given that Win2K was supported for about 3 years after this chipset came out - and for that matter while the board's install DVD top-level autorun.exe won't run on Win2K the setup.exe in the chipset directory seems to install just fine and its internal docs say it should, so perhaps AMD deleted all its support for Win2K when it reached nominal EOL even though Microsoft only stopped issuing updates and kept the existing support available).

Blargh.

Actually the cards I used were ATI (integrated) and Matrox (external). Not that it really matters...

AMD ceased support for Win2k earlier than M$ did it.

Edited by tomasz86

Win2000 runs on all current AMD mobos, though sometimes installing it may take some work, see here for some pointers.

Me again, with another question regarding the above.

I just purchased a very inexpensive Socket AM3 board (mostly to have a spare) - the first MB I've bought in a long time that wasn't nVidia-based but rather on AMD 770 / AMD SB710 - an ECS IC780M-A2 (V1.0A). The Win2K installation seemed to go fine, but when I attempted to install the nVidia 197.45 graphics driver for the GIGABYTE GV-N210SL-1GI GeForce 210 it claimed that no suitable video card was present (I had just successfully installed this driver for that card on a Win2K installation on another MB, so this was unexpected).

At that point I thought I'd better install the chipset drivers (which I'd casually tried to from the MB install CD, but which had failed). Turned out that while the overall CD installation failed each individual driver (chipset, LAN, and sound - apparently all that were present, given that on a subsequent XP installation it only listed those three options in the overall install menu) happily installed on Win2K and in fact seemed to indicate that they were intended to (so there seemed no need to explore, say, BlackWingCat's drivers). But still the 197.45 nVidia driver claimed that no suitable card was present.

I then discovered that the adapter support (from Display properties) was Vgasave (which I'd never encountered before), with no option to update the driver to something else. In fact, Device Manager didn't list ANY display adapter as being present. Hmmmm.

Just in case it was the video card itself (though it had just been working in the other machine) I swapped it out for an old GeForce6200LE and redid the Win2K installation from scratch. Same result, even though the 6200LE's support CD appeared to install successfully rather than complained that it couldn't see the card as the 197.45 driver had.

I was beginning to think that the problem must be with the MB, but figured I should try an XP installation to check. While the basic install still left me with Vgasave in Display Properties and no adapter at all in Device Manager, when I installed the 6200LE's support CD, lo and behold, the Display Adapter appeared and all seemed well: apparently, despite the fact that the card's support CD claimed to support both Win2K and XP, something in the nature of the support (or possibly something which the MB's install CD quietly installed from the top-level installation, which wouldn't run on Win2K) was sufficiently different to resolve the problem on XP. Just to complete the process I installed Win7, and in that case the basic install recognized the 6200LE right off with no need to install a driver independently.

I looked around here for discussions about installing Win2K on boards with AMD chipsets (e.g., ) but found nothing that seemed to shed any light on this (which seemed a bit strange, given the number of different MBs people here have tried Win2K on). Am I overlooking something obvious, or does this at least ring a faint bell with someone?

Thanks for any insights you may have.

Edit: One more thing I did try was choosing 'Enable VGA mode' in the F8 boot menu, a suggestion I found somewhere while trying to investigate this. Still no joy, though.

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see your post. Here's some info and my favorite links:

NVIDIA no longer supports Win2000, but their packages are still online, even though you won't find them through searches.

The latest version that works in Win2k is 18.11 (download here)

GeForce Release 175 also works.

You can also get 14.10 here. You can also browse NVIDIA's ftp.

Most XP packages work in Win2k with small changes. See this thread, follow the instructions, it works!

The bundles typically include:

Ethernet

Display

IDE

SMBus

SMU

You can install each manually, or slipstream and Nlite the whole package for your favorite NVIDIA mobo and burn to CD. Or you can let Win2k search the drivers on CD through Device Manager. NVIDIA is my favorite and they also have better support for Linux.

//

Edited by Phenomic

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see your post. Here's some info and my favorite links:

Please don't apologize: I'm grateful for any insights I can get.

NVIDIA no longer supports Win2000, but their packages are still online, even though you won't find them through searches.

The latest version that works in Win2k is 18.11 (download here)

That would have been good to know back when I arranged for my daughter's laptop to multi-boot with Win2K 3 years ago. Unfortunately, that laptop recently died so I can't try it out on that hardware.

But the motherboard that's frustrating me now has an AMD 770 / SB710 chipset, not an nVidia one, so I thought that the only nVidia support I needed was the graphics drivers - though am certainly willing to try out the above nVidia chipset drivers if you think they might help in some way.

The latest nVidia graphics driver I know of that works with Win2K is 197.45 (April, 2010 - see http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_197.45_whql.html). Its README file (unlike the documentation for 18.11 above save for its display driver, which is why I would have liked to be able to try it out - I have some older nVidia nForce 430 motherboards I could try it on, but it wouldn't exercise the later hardware support) indicates that it supports Win2K, and when I installed it on another Win2K machine it installed without complaint and appeared to support my GeForce 210 card (though I didn't test its functions at all exhaustively).

You can also get 14.10 here. You can also browse NVIDIA's ftp.

I tried to download it just in case the 18.11 driver supports only the 730a chipset (I tend to be paranoid that if I need something like this I'll find that it is no longer accessible on the Web). But after accepting the nVidia license the download just bumped me back to the nVidia home page (tried multiple times - apparently that link just isn't working, since I can download later drivers using the same menus). I eventually found another site (http://www.driverslib.com/BIOS/Nvidia/nForce-630a/6106.html) that doesn't require use of some proprietary download manager as sites like CNet and Brothersoft do (I find them annoying): unlike 18.11 above its README file DOES say it supports Win2K, but, again, I don't know that it would help with my current AMD chipset problem.

Most XP packages work in Win2k with small changes. See this thread, follow the instructions, it works!

VERY good to know - thanks!

You can install each manually, or slipstream and Nlite the whole package for your favorite NVIDIA mobo and burn to CD. Or you can let Win2k search the drivers on CD through Device Manager. NVIDIA is my favorite and they also have better support for Linux.

Yes, I've had pretty good luck getting nVidia chipsets to work with Win2K on several boards, and even some getting them work work with Win98SE (though that's been getting harder the last few years). From earlier comments here I had hoped to have similar experiences with the AMD chipsets, but this particular one seems strangely uncooperative.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Yes, I've had really good fortunes getting Canon LBP9100Cdn Driver nVidia chipsets to work with Win2K on a few sheets, and even some getting them work with Win98SE (however that has been getting harder the most recent couple of years). From prior remarks here I had would have liked to have comparative encounters with the AMD HP Deskjet 1000 Driver chipsets, yet this specific drivercenters one appears to be oddly uncooperative.

• 2 weeks later...

W2k on ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 / AMD FX-8320

Runs great (needs extended kernel/core for USB3.0 and GPU drivers)

Disabled devices: nVidia HD Audio (didn't install that because last time it interfered with my realtek HD)

High precision event timer (no driver) (can be disabled in bios if you're only gonna use 2000)

My xbox 360 controller (looking for driver)

eXMqj6a.jpg

Edited by AnX

How about CPU Temperature?

W2k on ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 / AMD FX-8320

Runs great (needs extended kernel/core for USB3.0 and GPU drivers)

Disabled devices: nVidia HD Audio (didn't install that because last time it interfered with my realtek HD)

High precision event timer (no driver) (can be disabled in bios if you're only gonna use 2000)

My xbox 360 controller (looking for driver)

• 2 months later...