Re-release?

darrelljon

In your wildest dreams, possibly. :rolleyes:

I don't think they have any interest whatsoever in resurrecting an old OS. Doesn't make financial sense. As you have seen here, there are people getting it to work on modern systems, so it can still be done. However, at some point in time it will become cost prohibitive to try and run it.

Unfortunately M$ has done everything to forget about w98 and make you forget about it.

They eradicated w98 in all ways possible, down to erasing its name from the popular memory.

For them the history of Windows starts with windows 2000.

Running w98 is an abomination for them and many poeple. they may not understand well why you still want it.

But in our mind, the more Windows evoluates, the more you will want w98.

In 87 years, w98 source code will be public domain. Then there will be hope to update it... LOL.

Unfortunately M$ has done everything to forget about w98 and make you forget about it.

They eradicated w98 in all ways possible, down to erasing its name from the popular memory.

For them the history of Windows starts with windows 2000.

Running w98 is an abomination for them and many poeple. they may not understand well why you still want it.

But in our mind, the more Windows evoluates, the more you will want w98.

In 87 years, w98 source code will be public domain. Then there will be hope to update it... LOL.

Doesn't this require Microsoft to release the source code? Or has it ever been leaked?

Doesn't this require Microsoft to release the source code? Or has it ever been leaked?

No.

"Public Domain" does not mean that it becomes "Open Source" (and of course DO NOT EVEN THINK of using leaked source :ph34r: , if any :w00t: ).

After a given number of years since publication has elapsed or in some cases after a given number of years since the death of the Author, intellectual property is not anymore protected by Law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain

I have NO idea where the cited 87 years come from. :unsure:

Cited from here:

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/72914/will-a-copyrighted-code-get-into-public-domain-once-its-copyright-expires

A more salient point is that most of us will be dead before any software Copyrights expire.

:whistle:

jaclaz

My wacky prediction:

Windows 98 and ME will survive the next coming decades, as they'll be the preferred OS of choice for "Desktop PC" hobbyists.

Windows XP and newer, due to their complexity and probable crippling from Microsoft Activation, won't be as much "fun" to toy around on. (Basically I think desktop PC's will be gone in 15 years or so).

Everyone else will have abandoned these archaic things long before then, in favor of the latest gizmo that fits in your pocket.

So, in my view, Windows 98 and ME will achieve immortality and appreciation from computer hobbyists who enjoy big bulky boxes that take up lots of space. It's kinda like muscle cars from the late 60's and early 70's. I mean, who is going to give a darn about the 2008 Dodge Charger or whatever. But the 1970 Charger, that's another story. Back when you didn't have to be an astronaut to fix your own car.

Of course, I could just be blowing smoking up everyone's.... ahem. :)

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

I don't think MS source code for any OS will ever be released as, AFAIK, there is absolutely no legal obligation to do so. All that falls automatically in the public domain after a certain amount of time (20 years I think) are industrial patents, and patents only describe a methodology.

As for the 87 years I guess this refers to the 100 years after which rights of artistic works fall in the public domain and this won't apply to an operating system IMO.

Edited by loblo

As for the 87 years I guess this refers to the 100 years after which rights of artistic works fall in the public domain and this won't apply to an operating system IMO.

At least in the US, a computer program is considered "literary work":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_copyright

I also presume that specifically it falls in the category of “work made for hire” AND "corporate ownership". :unsure:

Thus it should fall in the category:

http://inventors.about.com/od/copyrights/a/expiration.htm

Created 1/1/1978 or after - When work is fixed in tangible medium of expression - notice is irrelevant - copyright protecion lasts for the life of author and 70 years based on the the longest living author if jointly created or if work of corporate authorship, works for hire, or anonymous and pseudonymous works, the shorter of 95 years from publication, or 120 years from creation.

First published Windows98 should be 25 June 1998.

IF the quoted data is correct, that would mean 1998+95-2011=82 years, better than 87, but still...... :whistle:

jaclaz

Personally, I'd rather Microsoft release a new OS like Windows 98. I miss the old, simple days of computing when your computer didn't need a bazillion GBs of RAM and hard drive space to run just the OS. I feel like Windows 7 is bloatware. Why does it need 15GB to install when Windows 98 was perfectly happy with 300-400MB? Windows 98 got the job done, didn't it? It also didn't need all those useless applications that nobody needs or wants. Not to mention, when you bought Windows 98, you already had it all. Now you have id*** 'versions' like Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate. That's stupid! But then...that's marketing for you. You want it all? Then you pay $400 for that. I'd take Windows 98 over stupid Windows 7 any day.

No.

"Public Domain" does not mean that it becomes "Open Source" (and of course DO NOT EVEN THINK of using leaked source

There are rumors that Microsoft Corporation has lost the source code of Windows.

Yes I was refering to the 100 years for artistic works, the longest copyright period, thought someone mentioned 120 years here. I differs from one country to another.

Everyone agrees that Microsoft should rewrite windows because improving the XP/vista/7 family is a desperate cause. All they can do is to increase the number of Gb it needs to be installed.

Everyone agrees that Microsoft should rewrite windows...
I would hate to see their flowcharts, let alone compare them to the actual code. I "kind of" saved a military project once by inspecting the generated machine code (output from the COBOL Compiler). Seems they had a lot of "extra code" converting between numeric formats unnecessarily. Most programs were revamped and the speed improvement allowed for it to be "approved" (two days down to several hours computations difference).

"We don' need efficient OS, we only need steenking patches, senor!"

The thread, although interesting, is rather a moot subject.