Opera, KernelEx and related matters

marxo

Opera 11.60 was recently released. Anyone try it yet?

Opera 11.60 is fine. :yes:

The most annoying bug with those last versions for me, is the loss of the drag&drop to desktop to create an Internet Shortcut.

I didn't found any way except manually to create one now :realmad: .

I was able to fix most of these problems by going to opera:config and placing the name of my problem into the quick find field. Hope this works for you too. Worked well on the latest Opera 12 and 11.60.

Dave

- is it possible to change the "Search With Google" menu to "Search With Dogpile" instead?

What are you talking about?

For the search bar: Ctrl + F12 -> tab 'Search' -> Add... Dogpile (If it is already here, highlight it and click: Edit...)

-> Details -> check the box: 'Use as default Search engine'.

For the right-click menu, you have to restore the 'standard_menu.ini' file.

HTH

Charles.

What are you talking about?

For the search bar: Ctrl + F12 -> tab 'Search' -> Add... Dogpile (If it is already here, highlight it and click: Edit...)

-> Details -> check the box: 'Use as default Search engine'.

For the right-click menu, you have to restore the 'standard_menu.ini' file.

HTH

Charles.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

I use Dogpile now instead of Google, I just didn't know out how to change the "Search With Google" thing, even though my homepage was set to Dogpile. But now it works. :)

Thanks for the info. I updated to Opera 11.60 and so far everything seems to work well, except I have the bug again where my past "Find in Page" searches no longer show up in the address field (in the format "f xxxxxx" where xxxxxx is the search term). This also occurred after I updated from Opera 10.63 to 11.51. After a lot of effort, I finally was able to restore the "Find in Page" searches by fiddling around with search.ini. It had somehow gotten extensively modified and I replaced it with the former full version which somehow fixed the problem. Unfortunately, that no longer works for 11.60 and I'm not sure why or what to do now.

Also, the PgDn/PgUp scroll bug I previously mentioned is still there. I thought at first it was fixed but alas, that's not the case. They did finally fix the Wand password missing cursor bug though.

Edited by Prozactive

I have the bug again where my past "Find in Page" searches no longer show up in the address field

Ctrl + F12 -> tab 'Search' -> in the Search engine list, you must see a line " Find (or Search) in Page ... f ".

But there is many ways to "Find in Page" :

CTRL+F (and then F3 to go to the next instance, Shift+F3 for the previous)

. (dot) or , (coma) or / (slash) on keyboard will open the search bar

There is also several buttons to call a search in Page

HTH

Charles :) .

Edited by CharlesF

Thanks CharlesF. Yes I'm familiar with the many alternative ways of searching in Opera. It's somewhat difficult to explain this bug but Opera 11.60 no longer shows my previous (saved) Find in Page searches in the address field as I type the string 'f <space>'. Opera 10.63 would automatically display a list of previous (saved) Find in Page searches (in the format "f xxxxxx" where xxxxxx is the search term) in the pulldown list whereupon I could select the one I wanted. I finally was able to restore this functionality to Opera 11.5x by fiddling around with the search.ini file but I am unable to do so with Opera 11.60. I'm starting to suspect it's a deliberate redesign feature of their new address field. I've searched the Opera forums without much luck although there are tons of complaints about similar search issues.

Edited by Prozactive

I was able to fix most of these problems by going to opera:config

Sorry, but nothing about 'Internet Shortcut' in Opera 11.60's Preferences :} .

Yeah, address field, search field, saved search data etc., also pose other probs to be addressed -- more than likely the final will work better. I'm waiting for that. Many ini's shall need to be rewritten completely (again) for the 98 recognized formats, otherwise the menus shall remain real messes and saved data won't show.

Dave

Edited by dw2108

@dw2108: I'm using Opera 11.60 FINAL. I presume CharlesF is also. I still have not resolved this Find in Page search issue after more troubleshooting.

Sorry I forgot to tell you, I'm messing with Opera 12 Alpha & now there's another 12 Beta & I've rewritten so many css, ini and dat files which will be overwritten by the devs at Opera because they noticed a problem & I should have waited for the 12 final.

Dave

• 1 month later...

There's still a problem with tabs on bottom, where you just cannot make out which tab is open, tab does not connect with view. It is one of the reasons I did not upgrade to 11.60. I filed in a bug report last time about it, but seems it did not get fixed.

I sent in another bug report.

Edited by TmEE

Yeah Opera still has a fair number of annoying bugs. I never did figure out a solution to the missing "Find in Page" bug I reported earlier and finally submitted a bug report. Unfortunately it's still not fixed in 11.61.

I just installed 11.61 and so far it seems to be working well. I tried running the setup .exe for the first time and that was a disaster. I finally went back to my tried and true method of manually extracting and replacing all files with 7-Zip.

Edited by Prozactive