Opera, KernelEx and related matters

marxo

I just submitted a long list of posts to dencorso to be consolidated into the new Opera/KernelEx discussion thread. This thread should also be incorporated into that one.

If I may, saying "latest version" of Opera may mean *something* today, but won't on one week/one month time. (and same applies to KernelEx)

Latest at the time of this post should be 11.52 :unsure:

Latest version of KernelEx should be 4.5.2 :thumbup

jaclaz

Somewhere under Windows/Application Data/Opera for a standard install but some of it can be relocated (cache folder especially) to another drive/location by editing the operaprefs_default.ini (which should be placed next to opera.exe) as to avoid constant writes from Opera to the system drive for example. See this post attachment here for an operaprefs_default.ini sample:

Edited by loblo

It seems to vary based on the version of Opera.

The current version 11.52 puts its cache/temp files in:

\Windows\Local Settings\Application Data\Opera\Opera\cache\sesn

The previous version 10.63 had them in:

\Windows\Application Data\Opera\Opera\cache\sesn

The prefs/config data (history, bookmarks, etc.) remain in:

\Windows\Application Data\Opera\Opera

for both 11.52 and 10.63.

Opera 9.64 had its prefs/config data and cache/temp files in yet different folders located within \Windows\Application Data\Opera\Opera as I recall.

HTH. Thanks for all the effort moving and consolidating all of the Opera-related posts in this new comprehensive Opera thread.

Edited by Prozactive

The current version 11.52 puts its cache/temp files in:

\Windows\Local Settings\Application Data\Opera\Opera\cache\sesn

Here it's in WINDOWS\Application Data\Opera\OPERA\cache for 11.52 and there are multiple subfolders containing temp files, not only sesn.

The vps, opcache, application_cache and PSTORAGE folders also seems to store some volatile data as they can all be deleted without incidence apparently.

BTW, where does Opera store cookies, history and whatever it calls the "Temporary Internet Files" if it keeps them?

This freeware: OperaCacheView v1.37 can partially help you to find what & where Opera is storing those files.

OperaCacheView is a small utility that reads the cache folder of Opera Web browser, and displays the list of all files currently stored in the cache. For each cache file, the following information is displayed: URL, Content type, File size, Last accessed time, and last modified time in the server.

You can easily select one or more items from the cache list, and then extract the files to another folder, or copy the URLs list to the clipboard.

HTH

Charles :) .

Edited by CharlesF

This is a work-in-progress. It'll take days to move all relevant posts here.

Please be patient.

It's done! :yes:

So... now, please re-read the full thread looking for: (i) things that clearly don't belong here and (ii) some post that is missing and creates problems for the understanding of this discussion (it's not quite easy, but it can be hunted down and moved here too), and let me know.

Also, is there any other minor threads that would be better merged here? Let's finish this completely and move on, OK?

I was using Opera ftp built-in client. It allowed me to connect to the server but I was not able to change files and folders.

Yes I have permissions to make changes. Anybody know how to fix this?

I don't think there is anything to fix, Opera does lots of things but, as far as I know, it isn't an FTP application, aside from browsing/downloading files from FTP sites like most other web browsers do of course.

Thanks again dencorso! I see that Opera 11.60 was recently released. Anyone try it yet?

I have come across one particularly annoying bug in Opera 11.52. For some reason, the PgDn key doesn't properly page down one page at a time. Opera 11.52 tends to skip down much more than a page. I think the PgUp key tends to work better overall but it still may have similar quirky behavior. I don't recall this occurring at all with Opera 10.63.

Edited by Prozactive

Opera 11.60 was recently released. Anyone try it yet?

Opera 11.60 is fine. :yes:

The most annoying bug with those last versions for me, is the loss of the drag&drop to desktop to create an Internet Shortcut.

I didn't found any way except manually to create one now :realmad: .