Opera, KernelEx and related matters

marxo

Thanks for the feedback and info, Dave-H. I just tried installing Opera 11.51 but was unsuccessful. Installing it with the default KernelEx setting caused an error. Changing the compatibility settings to WinXP SP2 allowed the setup .exe file to load but nothing subsequently happened with no files extracted or copied anywhere on my comp. Seems like there were some tricks involved with installing it and I'll have to dig back through this thread for more info.

Thanks for the feedback and info, Dave-H. I just tried installing Opera 11.51 but was unsuccessful. Installing it with the default KernelEx setting caused an error. Changing the compatibility settings to WinXP SP2 allowed the setup .exe file to load but nothing subsequently happened with no files extracted or copied anywhere on my comp. Seems like there were some tricks involved with installing it and I'll have to dig back through this thread for more info.

I think you have to set the KernelEx mode on the Opera installer to Windows 2000 SP4, not XP.

IIRC I did try other modes myself, and they didn't work.

:)

Edited by Dave-H

Thanks again, Dave-H. That allowed the setup to proceed but I got the same error message

"Failed to obtain write access to installation folder. Error code: 6"

cited in this post. I may try extracting the files with 7-Zip and manually overwriting the existing Opera 10.63 files as suggested by rainyd.

Thanks again, Dave-H. That allowed the setup to proceed but I got the same error message

"Failed to obtain write access to installation folder. Error code: 6"

cited in this post. I may try extracting the files with 7-Zip and manually overwriting the existing Opera 10.63 files as suggested by rainyd.

Yes, that may be the way to go.

Have you tried running your existing Opera and selecting "check for updates" under the help menu?

That did seem to work for me when the standalone installer failed.

You will then have to apply KernelEx Windows 2000 SP4 compatibility mode to the opera.exe file.

:)

I have held off using Opera 11.xx as I fundamentally dislike using any app that requires KernelEx to work as it generally seems to cause a whole host of buggy quirky behavior. And, Opera 10.63 (which does not require KernelEx) has worked almost flawlessly with all websites until this week, when Facebook apparently made major JavaScript changes to their site which are incompatible with Opera 10.63 for some reason. I may have to cave and try Opera 11.51 to resolve these showstopping Facebook problems, as much as I hate doing so, especially when they're solely caused by Facebook's arrogant disregard of browser-independent web standardization. I'm increasingly getting angry, sick, and tired of Facebook.

EDIT: And interestingly, Facebook still loads okay using Firefox 2, albeit with some formatting problems, which is *MUCH* older than Opera 10.63.

I really like KernalEx and have been surprised at how well it really does work, I am like you in that if something works well, I don't upgrade until I have too, but I was having problem with firefox 2 as many sites are forcing upgrades as they have put in code to make pages not work in older browsers, you can turn off style sheets, etc(get the quickjava plugin for firefox) and see some these pages, but its a pain as it goes back to the old web and things don't look as polished, on the other hand it kills most of the ad's.

I usually set new app installers to native windows ME mode and see if the app installs and if not then I set KernalEx to XP mode on the installer file and then everything I have gotten to work, which is almost everything I have tried(I don't use opera, so can't be specific on that one though) has worked with out any problems.

With KernalEx firefox 3, up threw 3.6.13 works well, at least for me, and fixes a few of the recent 2.x web page problems, So firefox 3 mite be a good choice for a second browser to use with the older Opera untill things get fixed.

You will have to get many new plugins to replace ones that worked on 2.x but won't on 3.x as they have put the "fix" in on firefox to stop the older ones from working, luckily most all plugn developers have already got their plugins fixed for firefox 3.x.

Something you mite want to look into is replaced windows DLL files(not addin ones, but default ones that are replaced), I have run into problems with DLL's being replaced by some apps and the replacements not working well, what I have done is expand all the DLL's out of the windows install cab files so I can see if a changed DLL is causing problems with things this can fix a lot of stability problems also interrupt sharing can be a major stability problem for all versions of windows.

The MFC42 DLL was a biggie on graphics apps at one time, this got fixed latter as most apps just included a renamed version that worked with their software.

Another little snag I have ran into on DLL's, that causes stability problems, is different DLL versions in different places in the windows DIR's(like having one version in windows, and another in system, etc.).

Anyway just trying to help out.

And to the developers of KernalEx, Thanks, its great software, I hope you can support it for a long while to come.

Microsoft needs to learn that $200 for a proper copy of windows is too much, some of us aren't made of money.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, after installing latest version of KernelEx, I can say latest version of Opera browser works like a charm. Bookmarks, Adobe Flash *Youtube just great* everything I tested works fine. And no lags. I used Windows 2000 compatibility for installation. Shame I only can use Windows 98 on Virtual PC so it isnt a solution for me. I would like to use a tiny partition with 98 to surf the web and play old games but drivers just didnt exist for my laptop (motherboard, sound, graphics...)

Hope you can enjoy!

Thanks, Xeno, for the updated version!

Unfortunately the problem with opening links or .htm files in Opera still remains (see for example my post #1332).

Hopefully it will be possible to fix it soon. ;)

The problem with opening links in Opera is known to me.

This new release is targeted on making Mozilla Firefox running on 9x again.

First of all, thank you so much for the latest KernelEx 4.5.2 update. I thought that development had stopped, as mentioned in a separate thread, so this was an unexpected surprise and I'm deeply appreciative.

It's been a month since I updated Opera as mentioned in this post so I thought I'd give a quick update. I finally successfully updated Opera from 10.63 to 11.51 (and later 11.52) by extracting the Opera Setup files with 7-Zip and manually overwriting all older Opera files. After a lot of aggravating time-consuming work reconfiguring Opera 11.5x to look and work like 10.63 (bookmarks toolbar on top, pulldown arrow for URL history in address bar, full URL displayed in address bar, etc.), I have to say that I'm very pleased. Opera 11.5x seems to be noticeably faster than 10.63 and also much more stable. Opera 10.63 would periodically crash with a stack fault in module KERNEL32.DLL, but so far that has not occurred with 11.5x. In fact, 11.5x has not crashed once since I started using it. There still are a few minor annoying bugs in 11.5x but like I said, overall I'm extremely pleased.

There was one odd puzzling event that did occur sometime along the way while using Opera 11.5x. I ran a registry scan and was surprised to find numerous registry errors associated with Java. Further investigation showed that all Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 5.0 system files had somehow been deleted from my system. This must've automatically occurred while web browsing with Opera 11.5x as I certainly did not delete or uninstall Java 5.0. I do recall reading an extensive discussion in this thread about a year ago about incompatibilities and problems with Opera 11 and Java 5 and 6. I probably should go back and reread that information to see what corrective actions to take, if any. So far the lack of Java has not caused any issues whatsoever.

One last thing, I use Avast! 4.8 antivirus and it did not have any false positives with KernelEx 4.5.2 as mentioned recently. That error must occur with later versions of Avast!

Edited by Prozactive

• 2 weeks later...

Even a lot of apps that say they support an older windows system will not work, So KernalEX is a much needed add on to help keep an older system working.

Thanks to KernelEx I can use Opera 11.11 Turbo.

My favorite browser for dialup. No javascript errors, it's really fast, and everything works flawlessly.

I can probably get at least a few years out of it before it starts to slow down, then I'll just upgrade to 11.50, or whatever the next higher number is.

I'm in no hurry. :) :)

Edited by ScrewUpgrading