Opera, KernelEx and related matters

marxo

Unfortunately I must report non-working Flash10.x (with severel Firefox-Versions, and even Opera tested), described here Firefox 2.0.0.20 with Flash 10.x Does not work, even with KernelEx 4.5.1. Installation of different Flash 10 version is no big problem.

But if I go to Adobe's Flash test page, I only get a white area instead of a "flash-box". This is also on all(!) other sites with flash content. I suppose Java JRE is not responsible. Also I suppose not the browser is the reason, because this occurs with different Firefox-Versions. I tried different KernelEx compatibility settings for the flash file NPSWF32.DLL, with no success.

So I don't understand why I always read in internet "flash 10 works with KernelEx in Win98SE" :wacko: ?

Her this isn't so. I tested it on an old notebook with Intel Pentium III CPU and on my old PC with AMD T-Bred-B CPU.

What could be the reason?

- German Version of Win98SE (instead of the English one)?

- any missing system updates (which I don't know)?

- some removed Windows components (some of them with 98Lite)?

- missing Codec-Packs?

- wrong KernelEx version?

- wrong KernelEx settings for $browser.exe and/or the NPSWF32.DLL?

- wrong registry-entries?

For me, I must finally say "Flash 10 is not generally working on Win98SE, with unknown reason". :(

All Flash Player versions 10.1.* and 10.2.* are OK for me using KernelEx 4.5.1 (even on a P2, with the help of P3CPU.VXD and FineSSE27a.exe). However versions 10.3.* are no good. Furthermore, when you try downloading the earlier 10 series versions from FileHippo, you actually get 10.3.whatever instead, so beware!

Joe.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I hear ya :D

I'd suggest finding out which DLLs are in use by PDF printer (lower pane in Process Explorer might help) and trying to disable KEx for just those DLLs. Opera is working in Win2k mode so by default all DLLs used by it also think Win2k system and if the driver has single DLL for both 9x and NT systems (switching depending on visible system version) then it's likely it won't work coz 9x has completely different printing subsystem.

When you last checked Opera 10.63 did you leave it in Win2k mode or switched to default? :>

After installing Opera 11.11, I also tried printing. The printer driver pop-up appeared (BTW, I use a network printer), but after clicking "OK", no actual printing occurred.

Then after a reboot (more on this later), I tried printing from Notepad and Wordpad, with and without various KernelEx compatibility modes. Basically, if I use any NT mode (I tried NT 4.0 SP6, 2000 SP4 and XP SP2), the same occurs as for Opera (except that for Notepad, the driver pop-up window only flashes briefly, which is normal behaviour).

Furthermore, after resetting Notepad and/or Wordpad to KernelEx default mode, I must either log-off/log-on or reboot before printing will work again.

So, this problem is not specific to Opera.

Joe.

Well, I've managed to fix my printing problems with KernelEx (4.5.1), here's how ...

Background : I'm using a networked printer, Canon model iR-ADV-C5045. This has no W9X drivers available, however, the "Canon iR C3220 PCL5c" W9X drivers do just fine. (Edit : Actually, to install as a network printer, I first had to install this as a phantom local printer, then edit the properties to use the network details. This work-around, which is unrelated to KernelEx, avoids a Spool32 crash.)

1. Install the 'wintop' utility from 'W95KRNLTOYS.EXE'.

2. Configure 'notepad.exe' for KernelEx W2kSP4 compatibility mode.

3. Start the 'wintop' utility.

4. Start 'notepad', type some random junk, then try to print.

5. See what program shows up in 'wintop' after 'notepad.exe' (eg. 'cpc10q.exe').

6. Set the KernelEx compatibility mode for the above to "disabled".

7. Close all apps, log-off or reboot.

8. Optionally, reconfigure 'notepad.exe' back to KernelEx default mode.

HTH

Joe.

Edited by jds

Well, I've managed to fix my printing problems with KernelEx (4.5.1), here's how ...

Background : I'm using a networked printer, Canon model iR-ADV-C5045. This has no W9X drivers available, however, the "Canon iR C3220 PCL5c" W9X drivers do just fine.

5. See what program shows up in 'wintop' after 'notepad.exe' (eg. 'cpc10q.exe').

HTH

Joe.

Nice to hear that you've found the culprit of the problems.

I've added this workaround to the repository, so if there'll be new release the fix will be included.

Apart from that I don't see anyone mentioning recently released Opera 11.50. I wonder what is your experience with it.

Hi;

Opera 11.50 working here with no apparent problems (including printing)

The only problem I've encountered at all is with an occassional FLV video

fighting wth my SB100 card and hanging the system...have not been able

to pin done the culprit yet....just a loud sqwak from the speakers and it goes

unersponsive....

Thanks for the great work...

Jake

I've added this workaround to the repository, so if there'll be new release the fix will be included.

Apart from that I don't see anyone mentioning recently released Opera 11.50. I wonder what is your experience with it.

I hope we will see a new version of KernelEx sooner or later.

As the Opera 11.50 : I haven't tested it very thoroughly (Firefox 3.6 is main browser) but except Java I haven't seen any problem (issue with download manager has gone).

I would even prefer Opera if its extensions system were similar to Firefox.

Nice to hear that you've found the culprit of the problems.

Hi Xeno,

Actually, I've been using 11.50 for the past few days, works fine. The installer package had KernelEx compatibility mode for XP already there, but it just silently exited. So I changed this to W2k instead, tried again, then all went smoothly. The only problem so far is some parts of some eBay pages don't render usefully when using the "fit to width" option, but that's likely an Opera issue.

Joe.

HTH

Joe.

Joe & Xeno86,

this workaround doesn't work for my printing problem describe above.

No program is displayed in Wintop before Opera's crash.

BTW, I have no problem to print with with Notepad or metapad, even in Win2k SP4 compatibility.

I found one problem with Opera 11.50.

If you view a web page with "Turbo" enabled the browser crashes, this usually happens after you start scrolling or if the page has a lot of images. The problem only happens between versions 11.10 & 11.50 (I had no problems with 11.01).

post-325581-0-81414600-1309545176_thumb.

Edited by starport3

Joe & Xeno86,

this workaround doesn't work for my printing problem describe above.

No program is displayed in Wintop before Opera's crash.

BTW, I have no problem to print with with Notepad or metapad, even in Win2k SP4 compatibility.

Firstly, does the 'notepad' compatibility-mode trick show what gets invoked (in 'wintop') when you print?

If so, try targeting that. If nothing is shown, then an alternative tool to 'wintop' may be required.

Since the problem you have is with "print preview", try the 'notepad' compatibility-mode trick using "print preview" (aka. "page setup") instead of "print".

For me, the problem was that none of my KernelEx-enhanced applications (Open Office 3.X, Acrobat Reader 7.09, Opera 11.XX) would print, now they do.

Joe.

Edited by jds

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using Opera 11.50 for a while now and thigns seem to work very well, I have got some error+restarts but I cannot say whether they are because of a bad site or anything else, plus they weren't reproductible either.

I have been using Opera 11.50 for a while now and thigns seem to work very well,

I can confirm that: I have been lately using Opera 11.50 more often and IMHO, it is a significantly faster browser than Firefox 3.5/3.6.

Unfortunately, Java 6 (update 26) doesn't work with it, also its extensions system isn't so good as in Firefox.

Unfortunately, Java 6 (update 26) doesn't work with it, also its extensions system isn't so good as in Firefox.

Java 6 works fine with Opera, it just doesn't under Windows 98.

Current versions of Opera will only use the "new style" java plugin, and it's that which won't work in Windows 98.

Apparently this will not be easy (or even perhaps possible) to resolve.

:no:

• 1 month later...

Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but I noticed that when Opera 11.50 is running and I fire up another instance (say double-clicking the Opera icon on the desktop), I get a crash. Basically, I can't run more than one instance of Opera.

Edited by Steven W