Opera, KernelEx and related matters

marxo

:no:

The latest version, 11.01 just released, won't install even using the automatic update option.

The installer downloads, but when implemented, Opera just closes and doesn't update.

Dave-H,

the MSI installer is here: ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/win/1101/autoupdate/Opera_1101_int_Setup.msi :)

You have several choice to get a running Opera with Windows 98/Me:

1. - MSI installer
  2. - Autoupdate is suppose to work (didn't tried this time), but as I had explained here: post #1105,
    I got a crash me too when I tried with Opera 11.00 but the installer was in the %Windir%\TEMP directory
  3. - Unpack the regular installer with 7-Zip
  4. - Create a standalone install with this installer on a supported OS, and copy it back on Windows 98
  5. - or Download a portable version at Opera@USB , PortableApps.com or Kejut.com

BTW, I have made a reg file to set Opera compatibility to Windows 2000SP4 in KernelEx, anywhere on your system (no need to set it each time you try a new build at a different path),

but be aware that it will apply to any 'opera.exe' of any version:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KernelEx\AppSettings\Configs]
"*\\OPERA.EXE"="NT2K"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KernelEx\AppSettings\Flags]
"*\\OPERA.EXE"=dword:00000000

To delete this setting:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KernelEx\AppSettings\Configs]
"*\\OPERA.EXE"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KernelEx\AppSettings\Flags]
"*\\OPERA.EXE"=-

HTH

Charles.

Thanks Charles.

Good to know that an msi installer for Opera still exists, but they do seem to have hidden it well away!

Up until 11.01 the standard installer used to use msi, but it now doesn't seem to, at least there is no evidence of an msi install for the present version on the XP side of my system, which there certainly was on previous versions.

Strange that the auto upgrade didn't work this time, but did the last time when going from version 10 to version 11.

I suspect that the fact that the install process is now different caused the problem.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All!

I can not understand what you normally works OPERA 10.xx?

I have Windows ME 4.90.3000 \ KernelEx 4.5 Final

I downloaded opera 10.60 \ install _ everything is fine except that it is every ~ 30-60sec. Hover! This is a very time, after freezing is to wait a couple seconds and everything is as before ...

can someone tell how to fix this error?

thank in advance

Edited by 1234567890

Hi All!

I can not understand what you normally works OPERA 10.xx?

I have Windows ME 4.90.3000 \ KernelEx 4.5 Final

I downloaded opera 10.60 \ install _ everything is fine except that it is every ~ 30-60sec. Hover! This is a very time, after freezing is to wait a couple seconds and everything is as before ...

can someone tell how to fix this error?

thank in advance

Hi, :)

if you want to install Opera 10, you should use Opera 10.63, which was the last stable release (all 10.70 were beta builds).

I don't think that your problem is KernelEx-related, because as I remember KernelEx was not needed before 10.70 versions.

You could try a new clean install (optionally in a separate folder).

Hi, :)

if you want to install Opera 10, you should use Opera 10.63, which was the last stable release (all 10.70 were beta builds).

I don't think that your problem is KernelEx-related, because as I remember KernelEx was not needed before 10.70 versions.

You could try a new clean install (optionally in a separate folder).

you have everything properly and this is no problem < I understand correctly?

try to put 10.63 (after removing completely 10.60) ?

you have everything properly and this is no problem < I understand correctly?

try to put 10.63 (after removing completely 10.60) ?

If I have well understood you, you have casual freezings with Opera. :unsure:

I have never experienced that with Opera, but you can wait and see if anyone else encountered this problem.

In the mean time, I assume that it has nothing to do with KernelEx because it is not required to make Opera 10 run.

That's why I have suggested to try a clean reinstall, and look if it can help. ;)

If I have well understood you, you have casual freezings with Opera. :unsure:

I have never experienced that with Opera, but you can wait and see if anyone else encountered this problem.

In the mean time, I assume that it has nothing to do with KernelEx because it is not required to make Opera 10 run.

That's why I have suggested to try a clean reinstall, and look if it can help. ;)

sorry for my English :)

when working with her, she always periodicity freezings !

for 30-40 seconds, and then he normally works

it is very infuriates\enrages

@1234567890

This will quickly get of-topic again, as Charles has rightly said it's almost certainly not a KernelEx issue, as your version of Opera doesn't need KernelEx to work.

Have you configured opera.exe to run in Windows 2000 KernelEx compatibility mode, as you have to for version 11?

If so, set it back to normal.

In my experience, freezing problems with Opera have nearly always been caused by plug-in issues.

Hit F12 and un-check "Enable Plug-ins".

If the problem goes away, there's your answer!

If that fixes it and you want help with diagnosing the plugin problem PM me.

Don't continue here as it's not a KernelEx problem.

Cheers, Dave.

Maybe it sucks when you charge an heavy page or animation.

What is your processor, RAM, Graphic card, ...?

It's not about that ...

p4 2.4, ~ 1300mb. ddr, 256 video:)

@1234567890

Hit F12 and un-check "Enable Plug-ins".

If the problem goes away, there's your answer!

If that fixes it and you want help with diagnosing the plugin problem PM me.

Don't continue here as it's not a KernelEx problem.

Cheers, Dave.

your advice did not help :)

problem corrected as follows:

opera:config#UserPrefs|ShowMenu

^

where turn off (copy after saving settings) < unfortunately not visible from the values :(

<opera:config>

Allow script to change status

Ask About Missing Dictionary

Avoid Flicker

Check For New Opera

Client Pull

Client Refresh

Default Mail Store Type

Dim Search Opacity

Disable Bookmark Import

Enable DDE

Enable Mouse Flips

Enable Referrer

Enable Unite

Google TLD Default

Google TLD Downloaded

Mail View Accountinfo Splitter

Mail View Hotlist Splitter

Mail View List Splitter

Min Allowed GDI Resources

Preferred Mail Body Mode

Save Password Protected Pages

Show Mail Header Toolbar

Show Menu

Show Network Speed Notification

Show Notification For Blocked Popups

^

can someone be useful, this information

after problem solved ....

in any case all the thank you!

__

By the way, no one tried to run WebMoney Keeper Classic under kernelEx?

Edited by 1234567890

I have an issue on the newer Adobe Flash Player 10.2 with KernelEX on my Windows 98 laptop. Everytime I go on a website that uses flash player (ex. Youtube) on IE, Firefox, and Opera, the browsers crashes.

Have you uninstalled previous version?

I have installed version for alternative browsers only and I don't have any problem.

Edited by rainyd

I have an issue on the newer Adobe Flash Player 10.2 with KernelEX on my Windows 98 laptop. Everytime I go on a website that uses flash player (ex. Youtube) on IE, Firefox, and Opera, the browsers crashes.

Which CPU has the laptop? My AMD K6-3+ can not run it either. Newer flash players need at least a Pentium III grade cpu.

See here:

Why do some versions of Flash Player 9 work on YouTube while other ver - MSFN Forums - Page 3

• 2 weeks later...

Have you uninstalled previous version?

I have installed version for alternative browsers only and I don't have any problem.

Tried it, but ended up with the same result. I had no choice but to install Flash 9 instead.

• 1 month later...

:no:

The latest version, 11.01 just released, won't install even using the automatic update option.

The installer downloads, but when implemented, Opera just closes and doesn't update.

Dave-H,

the MSI installer is here: ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/win/1101/autoupdate/Opera_1101_int_Setup.msi :)

You have several choice to get a running Opera with Windows 98/Me:

1. - MSI installer
  2. - Autoupdate is suppose to work (didn't tried this time), but as I had explained here: post #1105,
    I got a crash me too when I tried with Opera 11.00 but the installer was in the %Windir%\TEMP directory
  3. - Unpack the regular installer with 7-Zip
  4. - Create a standalone install with this installer on a supported OS, and copy it back on Windows 98
  5. - or Download a portable version at Opera@USB , PortableApps.com or Kejut.com

Opera 11.10 is out now and it works fine with latest KernelEx on 98SE. To install it, I referred back to Charles' helpful instructions above. I chose option one and downloaded the MSI installer. It's here: ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/win/1101/autoupdate/Opera_1110_int_Setup.msi. The buttons are labled with placeholder text and so aren't helpful, but if you just keep hitting Enter you'll be fine. Enjoy! And remember to run Opera using KernelEx Windows 2000 SP4 mode.

Hot tip: There's a new, proper AdBlock extension that shows up on Opera's extension site only after you've updated to Opera 11.10. Works marvelously! (Although if you have NoAds installed, it may roll over to the new extension automatically, I'm not sure. When you view the popular extensions using 11.01, NoAds is in second place, but when you upgrade to 11.10, Opera AdBlock is in second place, so they must be different versions of the same extension, only AdBlock is much better.)

Edited by skylights