Opera, KernelEx and related matters

marxo

...perhaps this could be a feature of the pin tab function??? or not?

The pinned tab behaviour is exactly the same in XP though, so that is an Opera issue, whether a bug or by design I don't know.

So it is on purpose: Opera features :w00t: :

Protect a tab from closing

By right-clicking a tab, you can pin it to prevent it from being closed by accident.

Pinned tabs take up minimal space and are automatically moved to the left of other tabs to make them easy to find.

HTH

Charles.

So it is on purpose: Opera features :w00t: :

Protect a tab from closing

By right-clicking a tab, you can pin it to prevent it from being closed by accident.

Pinned tabs take up minimal space and are automatically moved to the left of other tabs to make them easy to find.

It is a feature of Google Chrome. Now Opera copied it

This is what Opera 11 installer gives me when I click "accept and install" :

"Failed to obtain write access to installation folder. Error code: 6"

so far, only tried Win2K setting on the installer.

Yes, that's what happened for me too.

I think the trick is to let Opera do an automatic upgrade, rather than downloading and trying to use the standalone installer.

Click on Help>Check for Updates and if the update is offered, say go ahead and do it.

That worked for me.

I suspect that if you extracted the msi installer file from the installation package with Universal Extractor or similar, it would work too if run by itself.

Once you have it installed, you will need to apply the Win2K compatibility mode to the opera.exe file. :)

For who is concerned:

When I have tried to upgrade my main install of Opera (from version 10.63) and asked for an auto-update

[Opera.exe was already set in 'Win 2000 SP4' compatibility],

download run smooth but Opera has crashed when he was to install the new version.

So, I went to %Windir%\TEMP, and found there a new folder 'CPROGRAM FILESOPERA' containing ... the 'Opera_1100_int_Setup.msi'.

Running it, did the trick, and Opera installed fine! :D

BTW loblo, I can confirm that the save function is still imperfect, forgetting to change the file extension from .Mht to .Htm or .Txt

Edited by CharlesF

For who is concerned:

When I have tried to upgrade my main install of Opera (from version 10.63) and asked for an auto-update

[Opera.exe was already set in 'Win 2000 SP4' compatibility],

download run smooth but Opera has crashed when he was to install the new version.

So, I went to %Windir%\TEMP, and found there a new folder 'CPROGRAM FILESOPERA' containing ... the 'Opera_1100_int_Setup.msi'.

Running it, did the trick, and Opera installed fine! :D

If anyone's got problems installing the latest Java runtime like I had (Installer apparently auto-exits without doing anything), then have a look in the Windows/Application Data/Sun/Java folder where you'll find an msi installer along with a few data files. Running it installs the runtime just fine. :thumbup

BTW loblo, I can confirm that the save function is still imperfect, forgetting to change the file extension from .Mht to .Htm or .Txt

Cool, thanks for confirming it is a generic problem and not one specific to windows ME like the missing flashing cursor.

I can install and run Opera 11, but Chinese characters can only be displayed in the interface (menu, tab, etc), but not in Web pages

The problem is fixed in 4.5 Final :thumbup

Xeno86, thank you very much!!!

Yes, thanks from me too guys for getting the release out.

:thumbup

The Opera 11 downloads window still has the same display problems as before with the "size" "speed" and "transferred" progress readouts, but everything else seems to work fine.

Strange that there should be a problem just with that one section.

Still many thanks for taking the time to work on the Windows 98 compatibility of a browser with such a small user base, it's much appreciated.

:)

Just installed Kernel Ex 4.5 Final, ...and so far so good! (as cool as the unofficial RC6):

• Printing is now perfect
  • Opera 11.00 is running smooth with compatibility set to Windows 2000 SP4 (otherwise not),
    but still got 2 bugs: display of values in transfer window (or panel), and missing extension when saving a page (no problem with a pic).
  • I have been able to install Flash Player 10.1.102.64 (= last non-beta version) activeX & plugin, like a charm (no more registry trick required).
  • Still VLC 1.1.5 and Autorun Eater 2.5 not working here. :( I have tried various compatibility settings but it doesn't help.

So, again Many thanks to you guys! :thumbup

@caos:

I think that some people are running last VLC with KernelEx, but I never was able.

Last build running without glitch here, is 1.0.3.

You will find any version on this link.

Direct download link for 1.0.3.

HTH

Charles.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm most of the minor issues reported with the current Opera version under 98SE with KernelEx 4.5 RC 5.

The only one I'm not sure about is the cursor problem, which seems to be fine for me.

A few people users been reporting that missing flashing cursor issue all along the 10.50/60 series testing in the Opera forums and I myself suffer from it but it seems neither you nor CharlesF are experiencing it, so perhaps it's only affecting Windows ME and not 98 for some reason.

The lack of flashing cursor does not affect 98SE. See this post! http://www.msfn.org/...971#entry940971

Sorry to bring back that non KernelEx related issue but since I found how to fix it I thought the tip might be useful for someone else who runs Opera 10 and above on Windows ME and is more than annoyed by it. So, the problem goes away when "Show scroll marker" is enabled in the Advanced/Browsing Preferences. :w00t:

:hello:

Looks rather as if our problems with Opera on Windows 98 aren't over.

:no:

The latest version, 11.01 just released, won't install even using the automatic update option.

The installer downloads, but when implemented, Opera just closes and doesn't update.

Any attempt to use KernelEx on the installation files in the temporary folder allows it to go further, but it still fails with an error message.

I'm OK as I have a dual boot system, and if I install the new version on XP it still works in Windows 98 with KernelEx applied, but where that leaves people with Windows 98 only systems I don't know.

Opera seem to have dropped the use of the Microsoft Installer with this version.

I can only find one version of the standalone installer, and it doesn't seem to use msi any more, which version 11.00 did.

It now writes no entries to the Windows installer folder.

:(

Edited by Dave-H

Dave-H, you can resolve that issue easily - it was mentioned earlier.

Just unpack installer with 7-zip, then copy all files to Opera directory.

You need also to set compatibility as for Windows 2000 SP4.

Edited by rainyd

Dave-H, you can resolve that issue easily - it was mentioned earlier.

Just unpack installer with 7-zip, then copy all files to Opera directory.

You need also to set compatibility as for Windows 2000 SP4.

Yes, you're right of course.

In fact I did unpack the new installer (using Universal Extractor in fact) looking for the usual msi file, which wasn't there.

I'm sure that would work OK to upgrade, but I'm not sure how it would work if you didn't already have Opera installed.

I assume that Opera would create all its other folders, and any necessary registry file associations etc. when it was first run, but I've never tried it.

I'm sure that would work OK to upgrade, but I'm not sure how it would work if you didn't already have Opera installed.

I assume that Opera would create all its other folders, and any necessary registry file associations etc. when it was first run, but I've never tried it.

It works normally - I'm using Opera 11.01 (build 1190) since yesterday.

Btw, you don't need to create any subdirectories - 7-zip unpacked them from installer.

It works normally - I'm using Opera 11.01 (build 1190) since yesterday.

Btw, you don't need to create any subdirectories - 7-zip unpacked them from installer.

Perhaps someone could update the KernelEx Opera Wiki, giving steps for a fresh install and for updating previous installation, so as to make this information more readily accessible.

(Am running 11.00 - haven't finished upgrade to 11.01. Never have understood interactions of registry changes on installing/upgrading/uninstalling with different installers, classic and msi, and now no installer is used. May be Opera specific, but some guidance there also as to effect of installer changes might be reassuring to those contemplating installing KernelEx in order to upgrade Opera from 10.6 or KernelEx users copying files to install 11.01 rather than using an installer which modified the registry and provided an uninstall process.)