Opera, KernelEx and related matters

marxo

Mmmh, I guess I should have been reading that since I posted in this thread just a few posts after the one you link to but I don't think I did. Not an ideal workaround as it puts you in insert mode . Very minor issue for me anyway.

So yeah it only affects ME and 98SE2ME systems then. Thanks for the head up.

This is what Opera 11 installer gives me when I click "accept and install" :

"Failed to obtain write access to installation folder. Error code: 6"

so far, only tried Win2K setting on the installer.

This is what Opera 11 installer gives me when I click "accept and install" :

"Failed to obtain write access to installation folder. Error code: 6"

so far, only tried Win2K setting on the installer.

Yes, that's what happened for me too.

I think the trick is to let Opera do an automatic upgrade, rather than downloading and trying to use the standalone installer.

Click on Help>Check for Updates and if the update is offered, say go ahead and do it.

That worked for me.

I suspect that if you extracted the msi installer file from the installation package with Universal Extractor or similar, it would work too if run by itself.

Once you have it installed, you will need to apply the Win2K compatibility mode to the opera.exe file.

:)

@ slhk: are you sure your problem is Opera 11 related?

I mean, could be the same with previous releases.

Opera had always some difficulties with non-latine characters AFAIK, especially on old OS.

Maybe, you could check or ask on their Chinese forum or the General forum.

@ loblo: Yes, I use Win98SE, and don't have this cursor bug.

@ Dave-H: do you have any problem to save a picture or a webpage, or to log on this forum with Opera 11, like me?

For me it doesn't crash, it used to with the previous KernelEx build but since xeno fixed the issue it's OK here.

Just I need to append the file extension each time by hand in the filename field of the save dialog box otherwise the file gets saved without extension.

I was still downgraded with KernelEx 4.5 RC4 due to my print problem (and I didn't wanted to stay with the fix provided by Tihiy because only 2 Dll was upgraded, and I didn't knew if it was intended for test-only or stable enough).

So, I have re-installed this so called-RC6 when it appears that this fix is only since RC5:

* Fixed: Opera crashed in 'Windows 2000' mode when trying to save file

Folk, every single problem is gone! :w00t::D

The arrows are back in forum: post-200646-0-29050700-1292715854_thumb.

I have been able to save any file, with no crash and no lack of any extension! (Tested with Gif, Png, Jpg, Htm, Mht)

and this post is sent from Opera 11!

Every Opera "special" page is correctly displayed: about, config, cache, history, plugins!

post-200646-0-42290600-1292717356_thumb.

It's not only the "About Opera" page that doesn't render properly, it's also the plugins and cache pages.

Strangely, the plugins page (only) seems to appear correctly the first time it's accessed in a session, but fails on subsequent views.

The others are displayed incorrectly all the time.

Dave-H, I have tried to reload several times each page, also retried with cache emptied,

the pages are always displayed nicely now! :yes:

We can really say a new bravo for Xeno86 and Tihiy :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

Edited by CharlesF

Yes, that's what happened for me too.

I think the trick is to let Opera do an automatic upgrade, rather than downloading and trying to use the standalone installer.

Click on Help>Check for Updates and if the update is offered, say go ahead and do it.

That worked for me.

Automatic Update did not do anything at all, when I clicked restart and install nothing further happened :/

BUT for example on Download page all numbers are gone now, and the page arrows on this forum are now squares... kinda seems I'm in a limbo state here :/

Edited by TmEE

Dave-H, loblo,

check your PM's. ;)

(BTW, the procedure is here: #978: Install by right-clicking install.inf and reboot.)

Enjoy.

Charles.

Thanks Charles, all now working fine!

:thumbup

The only thing I've noticed, and I spotted it doing a download, is that the speed readout on the downloads page seems to now be in Japanese instead of English!

Not a big deal, but can anyone else confirm that?

Also just updated to java 6 update 23, and all is working fine (except in Opera of course! :no: )

Awesome work guys!

The only thing I've noticed, and I spotted it doing a download, is that the speed readout on the downloads page seems to now be in Japanese instead of English!

Not a big deal, but can anyone else confirm that?

That's right! I don't have Japanese but squares, and nothing for the size of files.

post-200646-0-39079300-1292780447_thumb.

This have been also reported here: Opera - KernelEx Wiki:

The sizes of downloaded files and download progress aren't displayed correctly.

BTW, I have found another bug:

if I lock any tab, this one become very small and move to the first place on the Tab bar:

post-200646-0-69079900-1292781847_thumb.

When I unlock it, the size settle down but the tab stay in first (that is doesn't go back to his original place).

HTH

Charles. :)

Thanks CharlesF, I have installed that on top of RC5 and all good and jolly so far. :thumbup

I confirm that all Opera cosmetic glitches are gone. :thumbup

And file extensions now get automatically appended but this doesn't work 100% correctly like it does for Opera 10.63 as far as the save html /mht/txt file dialog goes at least. Let me explain: If when I open the dialog it is set for saving as mht and I want to save as text by choosing text file in the drop down menu I'll need to change the extension by hand from .mht to .txt in the file path field otherwise the file gets saved as text but with an .mht extension . With Opera 10.63 the file gets saves as text with a correct .txt extension even though it is not reflected in the file path field. But this has become a very minor issue since I nearly always save as mht and very rarely toggle between one filetype to another when saving web pages.

I also can confirm that the speed in the download page appear in japanese characters. I have a similar issue with the latest version of ZDoom which displays a log in a window on starting and this is in japanese or perhaps chinese character when KernelEx is enabled on it. If I disable KernelEx then no log gets visibly displayed unlike with older versions of ZDoom which display the log correctly in english regardless if KernelEx is enabled or not.

BTW, I have found another bug:

if I lock any tab, this one become very small and move to the first place on the Tab bar:

post-200646-0-69079900-1292781847_thumb.

When I unlock it, the size settle down but the tab stay in first (that is doesn't go back to his original place).

I can confirm that but perhaps this could be a feature of the pin tab function??? or not?

@ slhk: are you sure your problem is Opera 11 related?

I mean, could be the same with previous releases.

I do not have such problem with Opera 10.63 (which does not require Win2000 compatibility mode)

I can confirm that but perhaps this could be a feature of the pin tab function??? or not?

Lol! That must be a feature, I have the same behavior with XP Professional :lol: .

Anyway, it's not Windows 98 or KernelEx related! :angel

I do not have such problem with Opera 10.63 (which does not require Win2000 compatibility mode)

So, it might be similar with the anormal characters bug in the download page.

EDIT: Here we are: [bUG] Opera 11 pinned tab look fat tab. ;)

Edited by CharlesF

So, it might be similar with the anormal characters bug in the download page.

EDIT: Here we are: [bUG] Opera 11 pinned tab look fat tab. ;)

Just for information, there is no problem with the downloads page display running under Windows XP on my system, so it is a Win98/KEx compatibility problem, not an Opera problem.

As you say Charles, under Windows 98 with KEx there is no size information, either in the main display or at the bottom in the progress section, and the speed display is garbled characters (it's not Japanese as I thought, that was just because a few Japanese characters came up the first time I saw it!)

The pinned tab behaviour is exactly the same in XP though, so that is an Opera issue, whether a bug or by design I don't know.