Opera, KernelEx and related matters

marxo

I didn't realize the "Msimg32.dll is missing or too old" error was caused by KernelEx (I have it disabled for all Opera .exe and .dll files after experiencing numerous crashes in earlier versions). I thought it was a bug in the Opera 10.62 update and notified them of it since it was the first time it recurred in all of the updates since version 9.64. I also found moving Msimg32.dll from the main Opera installation directory to \Windows\System solves the error. I guess I'll have to move it back if I install RC4. Thanks for your great work!

Edited by Prozactive

Besides, Opera 10.70 snapshot 9050 also works with OUniAnsi.dll from 10.62.

Thanks for the tip about OUniAnsi.dll from 10.62. I tried to use this file from my install of Opera 10.70 3048 which works fine and 9050 crashed systematically on launch unless I did put opera.dll in 2k compat mode but then cosmetic bugs and crashes on the open/save dialog as I wrote here:

With the one from 10.62, everything is fine it seems. :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, I have found the time to install KernelEx 4.5 RC4.

It's a very nice build! Big thanks to Xeno86 & Tihiy! :thumbup

• Fixed: Maxthon browser (freezing): it's perfect!
  • Fixed: MSIMG32 warning and menu icon transparency issues in Opera 10.62:
    I'm not sure of what it means.
    Lack of transparency in Opera 10 is still here if I use the original 'standard_skin.zip' instead of the loblo fixed skin.
  • Now working: VLC 1.1.2 (without RP9):
    VLC 1.1.x are NOT running for me, but I have Revolutions Pack 9.6.6 installed.
    Last version working fine is still 1.03 (no change).
  • Flash Player ActiveX & Plugin:
    version 10.1.82.76 is installing & working fine, even without any registry trick.
    Unfortunately, I was NOT able to get version 10.1.85.3 installed, despite of any registry change I have tried (It says it is installing well, but actually doesn't install anything!).

(OS is Win98SE with SP3.0 beta4).

• 1 month later...

FWIW, latest Shockwave installer crashes here but seems to nevertheless install properly and it runs in Firefox 3.6 but not in Opera (10.70 Build 9050, currently my default browser)

Edit: Actually it works in Opera as well, it turns out I had KernelEx disabled on Opera.exe (and forcing default mode on opera.dll) for some reason so I did put back opera.exe in default mode and it runs perfectly now.

:hello:

Edited by loblo

FWIW, latest Shockwave installer crashes here but seems to nevertheless install properly and it runs in Firefox 3.6 but not in Opera (10.70 Build 9050, currently my default browser)

Edit: Actually it works in Opera as well, it turns out I had KernelEx disabled on Opera.exe (and forcing default mode on opera.dll) for some reason so I did put back opera.exe in default mode and it runs perfectly now.

:hello:

Is it the slim or full installer that you used?

I have tried both,and for some reason I receive an error as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

After I close the error window and I try to check the version on-line I usually see a blank box where the player should be, so I have to install version 10 again to display it back properly again. Shockwave version 11 will show in the list of add/remove programs and can be removed in this way, so although it looks like it has been installed on my system it hasn't really.

If there is anything special I need to do to the install file for shockwave 11 on KernelEx please let me know. I initially used the compatibilty mode XP SP2 for the install file, and I still got that error.

Charlesf seems not to be able to install shockwave 11 either.

rainyd You asked a similar question about shockwave 10 and 11 at post below.

Any progress on getting Java 6 to work with Opera?

Opera now only works with the "second generation plugin", which doesn't seem to work under Windows 98.

:no:

If I remember correctly, Xeno said clearly that it is not possible without a major rework of KernelEx.

Any progress on getting Java 6 to work with Opera?

Opera now only works with the "second generation plugin", which doesn't seem to work under Windows 98.

:no:

If I remember correctly, Xeno said clearly that it is not possible without a major rework of KernelEx.

Ah, shame.

Strange that it does work fine in IE6 SP1, but that doesn't use the actual plugin I don't think.

Does Firefox have the same problem, or can that still use the "old" java plugin?

As an aside, i hope we can get an actual release of KernelEx soon.

If the developers try and fix every problem with every application before it's released, it never will be!

As long as there are no "show stoppers" or regressions I think it should be released as a priority so they can get to the next version!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

You can hex-edit and change capGetDriverDiscriptionW to capGetDriverDiscriptionA and capCreateCaptureWindowW to capCreateCaptureWindowA and MagicJack will start but won't work properly (error connecting to servers).

I just tried that, coming out of dos after renaming my blackbox.exe shell wouldn't load, lol.

Btw, RC5 works great with Opera 10.63, which prints web stuff on an Epson w/ no prob.

I installed Opera 10.63, and it looks really good, one very small thing though, I wasn't able to use the all new yahoo mail as I was able to do with Firefox 3.6.12, I tried using different compatibility modes for Opera but I just kept on getting the message about needing a later operating system when attempting the all new yahoo mail page.

No great problem though as I can use FF for yahoo mail, and Opera for printing off web pages if and when required.

It may well get to the stage if not already when we need different browsers to do certain things that they all won't do together if you know what I mean.

Grateful for Kernel Ex that's for sure.

I installed Opera 10.63, and it looks really good, one very small thing though, I wasn't able to use the all new yahoo mail as I was able to do with Firefox 3.6.12, I tried using different compatibility modes for Opera but I just kept on getting the message about needing a later operating system when attempting the all new yahoo mail page.

No great problem though as I can use FF for yahoo mail, and Opera for printing off web pages if and when required.

It may well get to the stage if not already when we need different browsers to do certain things that they all won't do together if you know what I mean.

*My printer drivers look similar to yours with the same ones not installed.

You may be able to access your Yahoo mail account by setting up Opera Mail, it's built into the browser.

Menu>Mail and Chat Accounts... Search the Opera sites knowledge base for details. (I don't have yahoo).

The only hitch with Opera 10.63 is Java doesn't work, the browser has it's own JVM tied to the new gen plug-in.

I disabled Java in opera:config >Java and removed the plug-in paths in opera:config >User Prefs (except for C:\Program files\Opera\program\plugin), that stopped the c000005 crashes on my machine.

@Steven W

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.

*My printer drivers look similar to yours with the same ones not installed.

You may be able to access your Yahoo mail account by setting up Opera Mail, it's built into the browser.

Menu>Mail and Chat Accounts... Search the Opera sites knowledge base for details. (I don't have yahoo).

The only hitch with Opera 10.63 is Java doesn't work, the browser has it's own JVM tied to the new gen plug-in.

I disabled Java in opera:config >Java and removed the plug-in paths in opera:config >User Prefs (except for C:\Program files\Opera\program\plugin), that stopped the c000005 crashes on my machine.

Can I ask what you have on the View---->folder options---->file types---->HTML Document.

I just would love to know which program is set to open files of this type, because when I installed Opera it changed mine to open with Opera, and I preferred it to open HTM extensions with FF, but getting it back to FF was a nightmare.

Edited by frogman

Can I ask what you have on the View---->folder options---->file types---->HTML Document.

I just would love to know which program is set to open files of this type, because when I installed Opera it changed mine to open with Opera, and I preferred it to open HTM extensions with FF, but getting it back to FF was a nightmare.

Go to Preference Settings in Opera, ans click on the Advanced tab.

Select "Programs".

Un-check "Check if Opera is default browser on startup".

Click on the "Details" button and it will show what Opera is associated with.

Check or un-check the ones that you need, and then run Firefox and make it your default browser.

It should then open htm files again, and Opera won't steal them back.

Edited by Dave-H

Go to Preference Settings in Opera, ans click on the Advanced tab.

Select "Programs".

Un-check "Check if Opera is default browser on startup".

Click on the "Details" button and it will show what Opera is associated with.

Check or un-check the ones that you need, and then run Firefox and make it your default browser.

It should then open htm files again, and Opera won't steal them back.

Thanks, but I have a funny feeling I had tried that and the bookmark html icon remained as Opera's, even tried changing the icon.

I un-ticked the associated files with Opera, but I left the http and https, should I have un-ticked these too?

Thanks, but I have a funny feeling I had tried that and the bookmark html icon remained as Opera's, even tried changing the icon.

I un-ticked the associated files with Opera, but I left the http and https, should I have un-ticked these too?

Yes, http and https protocols are associated with *.htm and *.html files.

That's why Opera is still claiming them.

However if you set Firefox to be your default browser Firefox should take them over.

Tools>Options>Advanced>General Tab.

Press the "Check Now" button.