compatible digital cameras list

ScrewUpgrading

Windows 9x Compatible Digital Cameras

Brand -- Model name/specifications

Digital Concepts - "Pink Camera" 7 Mega pixels

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Concepts-Camera-Anti-shake-Pink/dp/tech-data/B001NGC9OK/ref=de_a_smtd

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One trick I've learned about using the above camera, is that I can swap out the memory chips from newer digital cameras, which aren't compatible with Windows 9x, and access them from the older Digital Concept camera that is Win9x compatible.

For example, I have several "newer" cameras (HP Photosmart M537 for one) that takes better pictures, but requires Windows XP or higher.

To work around that, I simply take the 1Gb or 2Gb memory card out of the new camera, and place them into the old camera and download the picture via USB connection.

So in a sense, Windows ME can still grab pictures from "new" cameras. As long as I have that trusty old camera to act as a "go between." By the way, I don't know if that works with all cameras or just this one.

Anybody else ever done that? Please share whatever cameras you got that work though. Thanks. :) :)

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

100+ Devices Ready for WIA under Windows ME

(Windows Image Acquisition) is an API developed by Microsoft and first implemented in Windows Me. It allows seemless communication between image acquisition applications and digital imaging devices (such as digital still cameras, scanners and DV camcorders). Similar to TWAIN but without the hassle of particular drivers, best of all there's a TWAIN DSM which enables any WIA device to appear as a TWAIN device to TWAIN compatible software. WIA as it will ship in Windows ME already supports over 100 devices.

Here's the current list of supported WIA digital still cameras:

* Agfa ePhoto 307

* Agfa ePhoto 780

* Agfa ePhoto 1280

* Agfa ePhoto 1680

* Canon PowerShot A5

* Canon PowerShot A5 Zoom

* Canon PowerShot Pro70

* Casio QV 10

* Casio QV 10A

* Casio QV 11

* Casio QV 30

* Casio QV 70

* Casio QV 100

* Casio QV 120

* Casio QV 200

* Casio QV 300

* Casio QV 700

* Casio QV 770

* Casio QV 5000SX

* Casio QV-770 (IrTran-P)

* Casio QV-5000SX (IrTran-P)

* Casio QV-7000SX (IrTran-P)

* Epson PhotoPC / CP-100

* Epson PhotoPC 500 / CP-200

* Epson PhotoPC 600 / CP-500

* Epson PhotoPC 700 / CP-600

* Epson PhotoPC 750Z / CP-700Z

* FujiFilm DX-5/DS-10

* FujiFilm DX-7/DS-20

* FujiFilm DX-9/DS-30

* FujiFilm MX-700

* FujiFilm DS-300

* HP PhotoSmart C20

* HP PhotoSmart C30

* HP PhotoSmart C200

* JVC GCS1 (IrTran-P)

* Kodak DC200

* Kodak DC210

* Kodak DC215

* Kodak DC220 (USB only)

* Kodak DC260 (USB only)

* Kodak DC265 (USB only)

* Kodak DC290 (USB only)

* Kodak DC240 (USB only)

* Kodak DC280 (USB only)

* Konica Q-M100

* Konica Q-M100V

* Minolta Dimage V

* Nikon CoolPix 900

* Nikon CoolPix 950

* Nikon CoolPix 700

* Olympus D-200L

* Olympus D-220L

* Olympus D-300L

* Olympus D-320L

* Olympus D-340L

* Olympus D-340R

* Olympus D-500L

* Olympus D-600L

* Olympus D-400Z

* Sanyo DSC-V1/VPC-G200

* Sanyo DSC-X1/VPC-X300

* Sharp VE-LC2 (IrTran-P)

* Sony DSC-F3 (IrTran-P)

* UMAX AstraCam (USB)

* UMAX AstraCam 1000 (USB)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2000/8/14/wiawinmedevices

Scanners Automatically Supported by Windows ME

Primax Colorado

USB 19200

Epson

Epson GT-5000 (SCSI)

Epson GT-5500 (SCSI)

Epson GT-8500 (SCSI)

Epson GT-9500 (SCSI)

Expression 636 (SCSI)

HP

IIc

IIcx

IIp

3c

3P

ScanJet 4100C

4c

4P

ScanJet 5200C

5P

ScanJet 6100C

ScanJet 6200C

ScanJet 6300C

ScanJet 6350C

Microtek

ScanMaker 4

ScanMaker 5

ScanMaker 6400XL

ScanMaker 9600XL

ScanMaker E3

ScanMaker E6

ScanMaker V300

ScanMaker V310

ScanMaker V600

ScanMaker X6

ScanMaker X6EL

ScanMaker X6u

ScanMaker C3u

ScanMaker C6u

ScanMaker V6USL

ScanMaker X12USL

ScanMaker V6UPL

Umax

Astra 600S

Astra 610S

Astra 1200S

Astra 1220S

Astra 1220U

Astra 2000U

Astra 2100U

Astra 2200

Astra 2400S

Astra 4000U

PowerLook 1100

Visioneer

6400 USB

OneTouch 8600 USB

OneTouch 8100 USB

7600 USB

6100 USB

5300 USB

http://www.scanhelp.com/ScanEdu/wiascanners.html

Video Cameras

Intel YC72

Intel YC76 (a.k.a. Intel Create and Share Camera)

Intel CS330 (a.k.a. Intel PC Camera Pack)

Intel CS430 (a.k.a. Intel PC Pro Camera)

Philips PCA645VC Digital Camera

Philips PCA646VC Digital Camera

Philips PCA675VC USB VGA Camera

Philips PCA680VC USB VGA Camera

It's all on the Microsoft website, but who knows for how much longer... besides, they didn't include the Digital Concept "pink camera", so their list can't be considered %100 comprehensive. :)

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

It has been ages since I looked a digital cameras... but new cameras don't just let you access the memory as a standard USB flash drive?

I have Samsung S630. All I have to do is plug it in to the USB port, it appears as a USB flash drive, and I can just copy images from it or otherwise manage the files directly. I can access it from ANY OS that can recognize standard USB flash drives. I regularly access it under Windows 95 OSR2! Of course it will work under Mac, Linux, and any later version of Windows. Duno why anyone would want to do it any other way.

Edit: Oh, and this camera can make movies with sound that play under VLC 0.8.6 (also accessible directly as files), and uses standard AA batteries so when the rechargeables wear I can easily replace them, or if not charged up just grab some regular disposable AAs from anywhere and I'm ready to go. This camera is freaking perfect.

Edited by SomeGuy

It has been ages since I looked a digital cameras... but new cameras don't just let you access the memory as a standard USB flash drive?

Duno why anyone would want to do it any other way.

Because MS (and Apple are even worse) don't like you having such flexibility (too dangerous, users must be protected from themselves, blah blah), so now more and more cameras are using MTP/PTP instead.

Also, see for details on two more cameras.

Joe.

Is this not a non-issue since (I assume) all cameras are using one or another model of flash cards which can be read with any semi-decent flash card reader?

Well, that is indeed a viable work-around, however, I wonder how many insertion/removal cycles before the card connector of the camera becomes unreliable?

Joe.

Is this not a non-issue since (I assume) all cameras are using one or another model of flash cards which can be read with any semi-decent flash card reader?

Possibly. But maybe not.

The limit my cameras use is a 2gb memory chip. Bigger chips won't work on "older" cameras from only 4-5 years ago. At the very least, I think they're phasing out the older 1 and 2GB chips (do they sell those anymore?)... which will have the effect of phasing out the old cameras that require them.

As far as flash readers... I don't know... do they have any for Win9x? I don't have one.

Because MS (and Apple are even worse) don't like you having such flexibility (too dangerous, users must be protected from themselves, blah blah), so now more and more cameras are using MTP/PTP instead.

Didn't know that. But then again, I'm behind the times. :)

You know, a list of compatible flash readers would probably be good to list as well.

Might as well start stocking up on old peripherals before they're gone for good. I might grab me one of those HP Scanjets.

*Edit*

I looked on Amazon and they still sell the smaller chips. :) It's just that whenever I go to Walmart or Bestbuy I never see those.

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

You know, a list of compatible flash readers would probably be good to list as well.

There was a thread with a short list and some useful information on this a while back: SDHC Micro SDHC card readers for Windows 98. The list is out of date now, but there is currently no shortage of card readers with official Windows 98SE/ME support. Kingston, Belkin, Vantec, or Rosewill, to name a few, have a number of models with compatible drivers. It gets even better. With NUSB, practically all readers are compatible.

I have Samsung S630. All I have to do is plug it in to the USB port, it appears as a USB flash drive, and I can just copy images from it or otherwise manage the files directly. I can access it from ANY OS that can recognize standard USB flash drives. I regularly access it under Windows 95 OSR2! Of course it will work under Mac, Linux, and any later version of Windows. Duno why anyone would want to do it any other way.

Did you use Nathan's USB drivers to gain access to the camera under Windows 95, or another solution?

According to Wikipedia a MTP driver for W98 could be found in the MS MTP Porting Kit.

Is there like a simple download for that?

There was a thread with a short list and some useful information on this a while back: SDHC Micro SDHC card readers for Windows 98. The list is out of date now, but there is currently no shortage of card readers with official Windows 98SE/ME support. Kingston, Belkin, Vantec, or Rosewill, to name a few, have a number of models with compatible drivers. It gets even better. With NUSB, practically all readers are compatible.

Cool, thanks. :) Where can I find NUSB?

Edited by ScrewUpgrading