USB_MultiBoot.cmd does not run well for second partition!

hulkbuster

Hello folks, i have downloaded this USB_MultiBoot.cmd - Install XP from USB tool and i havn't used even once and i have always used Novicorp's WinToFlash and it has served me well in all these times but recently i had to format a laptop and found out that this tool can only be used once , i don't know how to explain but it would work once and i had to follow the same entire thing to make it bootable and even imagine to follow the entire same steps to just make it Bootable.

So i searched and downloaded and read about USB_MultiBoot.cmd which can be used to boot from it and install from it for a number of times.

Thats a keeper.

So i tried to install or make a dual boot to install win XP and after the setup does the copy thing it would reboot and show a two Win xp Professional to choose from the Boot Manager and choosing the first one would show these messages

Windows could not start because of a computer hardware configuration problem.

Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference needs for additional information.

So what do i do further from here, it seems this tool gets confused when installing it to a second partition, i bet it would run smoothly if it was for the first partition, any advice.

For Install on second partition you need to use a modified boot.ini on your USB-stick,

so that you can choose "Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 2"

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=22857

To solve your hal.dll Error you need to Change the boot.ini file on your USB-stick.

It can be handy to make a boot.ini with multiple entries like this:

CODE

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=20
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
C:\btsec\XPSTP.bs="1. Begin TXT Mode Setup Windows XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until Logon"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 0 - Part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 2" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 3" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 2 - Part 1" /FASTDETECT

Partition Numbering starts with 1

Harddisk Numbering starts with 0

On booting from USB-stick it will count in the arcpath as rdisk(0) and your Internal Harddisk will then normally be rdisk(1)

Edited by wimb

For Install on second partition you need to use a modified boot.ini on your USB-stick,

so that you can choose "Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 2"

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=22857

To solve your hal.dll Error you need to Change the boot.ini file on your USB-stick.

It can be handy to make a boot.ini with multiple entries like this:

CODE

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=20
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
C:\btsec\XPSTP.bs="1. Begin TXT Mode Setup Windows XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until Logon"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 0 - Part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 2" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 3" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 2 - Part 1" /FASTDETECT

Partition Numbering starts with 1

Harddisk Numbering starts with 0

On booting from USB-stick it will count in the arcpath as rdisk(0) and your Internal Harddisk will then normally be rdisk(1)

Hello i choose the"Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 2" and also "Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD2, use if installing on HD2" option, but its still not booting or continuing with the setup process, i don't know what to make of it.

wimb can you shed more light on this , what do i do further from here. :no:

wimb can you shed more light on this , what do i do further from here. :no:

- Is the second partition a Primary Partition or is it a Logical Drive of an Extended Partition ?

You need a Primary Partition for Install of XP.

You need to investigate the harddisk on which you try to Install XP

by booting first from grub4dos menu with PE (LiveXP or 7PE) or with PartedMagic.

Then you can inspect your harddisk with e.g. Disk Management and see what is causing your trouble.

Also use Windows Explorer to see where XP Setup TXT mode has made the WINDOWS folder and has copied the files.

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24424

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=23931

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=21883

- How did you prepare your XP Setup Source ?

It might be that you are missing a needed MassStorage driver.

Read Section 2 in http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=21883

For Install of XP on a modern system with SATA Drives it is needed to use DPsBase.exe

for Integrating in your XPSOURCE BTS DriverPack Massstorage with TXT Mode Enabled.

In that case a lot of Extra RAID SCSI and SATA Drivers (about 120 extra) are Integrated which appear in the

XP Setup BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT on Install-Drive and can prevent a lot of XP Install Boot Problems.

:yes:

Edited by wimb

I dont think if its any case of a SATA sontroller , cause after accepting EULA by pressing F8 it would examine the Disc and then show the partition , that in itself would mean success in recognising the SATA Controller disc, i had little failure by using the the Novircorp product when installing it in the Second partition, the only lack was the amount it take to copy the content to a USB.

-[b] Is the second partition a Primary Partition or is it a Logical Drive of an Extended Partition ?
You need a Primary Partition for Install of XP.[/b]
You need to investigate the harddisk on which you try to Install XP
by booting first from grub4dos menu with PE (LiveXP or 7PE) or with PartedMagic.
Then you can inspect your harddisk with e.g. Disk Management and see what is causing your trouble.
Also use Windows Explorer to see where XP Setup TXT mode has made the WINDOWS folder and has copied the files.

If i am installing on a Second partition then it would mean it on a extended or logical drive. IF this tool is only meant to be installed on a Primary partition then i would its natual for it to show errors.

Even then Novicorp would fair better here in installing it on a Second partition ,,,,,,, :}

Edited by hulkbuster

If i am installing on a Second partition then it would mean it on a extended or logical drive.
You may have second, third or fourth primary partition. Or 3 primary and one extended. There is room for four partitions, some could be extended as a holders of many logical ones. Which one are you installing onto? You may also see that when booting the first part of Setup, the partition screen, read this post for details:

Have a look at FAQs too- Q4/A4 in particular:

Reading your first post it seems you have to be playing with rdisk value too, you most likely have another disk or storage device on the way. Just experiment a bit with the rdisk values. partition values you should be able to get from where the first link explains.

The tool is NOT limited in that matter, but one has to know how to use it.

FYI- there are number of tools and methods in the pinned topics which do not have these drawbacks, no files are deleted and no messing with boot.ini.