Windows 7 or window XP

amandahansen

:whistle: Win 7 is slimmer than XP and easier to configure for any novice user ;but Vista is still (unfortunately!:unsure: )the best and more Office-Work oriented O.S......(*Until Win8-MSOffice2012 can be assured to a Beta-install) ; *Memory is an issue with XP-Vista . Using either Win7 & Win8 the memory usage footprint is dropping very low on old or new computers!!! :yes: Buy a New PC get an O.S. Free :thumbup XP and Vista should retire but still be user friendly ,like me old trustworthy Win98SE :angel

Thydreamwalker,

Well, I simply think if the computer can run a newer OS, then I will give it a try. I never use Vista. I installed Win 7 in April this year. However, I rarely boot into it since I started to use Win 8. Actually I want to tell the OP to try Win 8 but he didn't mention it in his first (and only!) post!

Ah, nice to see you around, friend!

• 1 month later...

Why shouldn't a beta OS be suggested here? I suggest it because I find it good enough to try. And above all it's free. You said it was full of bugs? Then at least tell me about one or two of them, please. What are they?

I use my computer for simple needs, and Win 8 works fine for me. So far I haven't got any critical errors when I am using it. Actually I've got some small problems but they are not serious. It's OK because, as you said, it's still a beta.

Edited by Aloha

One nice thing about Win-8 is it's an easy download and it's FREE. When did you ever get an OS from MS that was free.

I've installed it about eight times now, so I have a little experience with it.

First, if you install it on a system that already has an OS on it, Win-8 will try to install as an update. This has caused untold grief for the untrained user.

So after several aborted installs, I've come up with a formula for a faultless install.

Download the ISO and burn the Install DVD.

Then prepare a HD for the install by wiping it clean. I used my DOS boot disk and the DOS FDISK program to remove old partitions and create just one new one, for the Win-8 install. Don't worry about the format, the installer will take care of that. If you have an existing OS on another HD, disconnect that drive so the Win-8 Installer can't see it.

For the beginner I suggest to set up just one user, with NO password.

Without a touch screen, the Metro UI which looks like a cell phone touch screen, is pretty useless. There is a very simple registry tweak that turns off the Metro UI theme and restores the desktop to one that looks a lot like XP Classic. I downloaded the City Lights theme from MS and my desktop looks great!

MyDeskTop.jpg

I have my last install of Windows 8 running on a six year old Compaq desktop, running a P4 CPU, just 2 gig's of ram, and a 200gig SATA II hard drive.

All be it a little slow, Win-8 is running just great on that old PC.

I have many software titles running on Win-8, even Sol from Windows XP.

The entire subject is discussed in a lot more detail on the www.windows8forums.com

I run Windows XP-Pro-SP3 as my everyday OS and probably will till I die. I will never run Win-7. It a huge beast and much slower than Win-8.

Win 7 will totally get it's bum kicked when Win 8 hits the market in 2014.

Happy New Year Mates!

B)

Edited by Andromeda43

Hi Andromeda,

Your desktop looks cool! I like your post, but I am a little curious and want to ask something. Why did you have to install W8 so many times? As for me, I've installed it twice and used the Refresh to repair it once.

I didn't want to ruin the current OS on drive C, so I had it on another drive. First I installed it directly on D, where I store games and a lot of other stuff too! It worked fine. But when my friend said that it was better if I had the OS on a clean seperate partition, then I reinstalled it. And it took me plenty of time to remove W8 from drive D safely and completely. I made another partition out of D and named it H, on which I've installed W8 for the second time and it has been working so good so far. I refreshed it once to take back the new-looking Task Manager, which I lost after I tried to disable the Metro Start.

Running the Setup inside folder Sources gave me the choice of upgrading to W8 from the old OS or installing it new onto any partitions I have.

PS. I used Metro UI Tweaker to turn off the Metro Start and it didn't show Microsoft Confidential part on my desktop. You can check it here:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/metro-ui-tweaker-windows-8-released

I wish you a happy new year too, friend.

Edited by Aloha

Without a touch screen, the Metro UI which looks like a cell phone touch screen, is pretty useless. There is a very simple registry tweak that turns off the Metro UI theme and restores the desktop to one that looks a lot like XP Classic.

Win 7 will totally get it's bum kicked when Win 8 hits the market in 2014.

:lol: Metro is WINDOWS 8, the RPEnabled keys were only added to protect Metro against leaks in the early development stages when MS released builds to OEMs. In beta the option is removed ;) So Windows 8 is the ugly phone UI.

And Windows 8 comes in 2012 ;) Windows 8 will have no chance on the Desktop market. I know nobody who want to update from Win7 to Windows 8 on the desktop. On tablets it maybe ok, but not on normal desktop PCs with mouse and keyboard. I

:lol::lol::lol:

One nice thing about Win-8 is it's an easy download and it's FREE. When did you ever get an OS from MS that was free.

It's a time-limited buggy pre-beta that will expire in March. That isn't free by any stretch of the imagination. Not anymore than Vista & Win 7 which also run for a limited time, with re-arming for a certain number of days, or the 180 day evals of previous Windows versions that have existed for a number of years.

Metro is WINDOWS 8

Nah, Windows 8 has several nice new features. However, I refuse to believe MS would be stupid enough to ship Win 8 without the ability to disable Metro easily. Nobody would want of that OS, PR-wise it would be worse than WinME+Vista combined, all you'd hear about is "downgrade rights" and so on. If anything, it would just make people think Windows is turning into a confused mess, and drive more people to buy Macs while everybody else stays on Win 7 until Win 9 comes out in 2015 or whatever. I might be dense, but I don't think that's what they want. Releasing a Metro-only Windows 8 would be worse than not releasing it at all. All it would do is damage their image/reputation.

And no, I don't actually think tablets are the future. And I say that as someone who's used a HP tablet (with Win 7, an i3 CPU and all) for a while at work and who also owns an Archos tablet with Android on it (basically a fancy mp3 player). And without Windows "tablet" catching on (which I don't see happening) there won't really be much Metro apps either, so little use for Metro, and with no users that means no developers hoping to get rich from the app store... It feels like they're trying to duplicate Apple's idea for mobile devices but on a traditional desktop OS which always had better options in the first place. I don't see millions of PC apps selling for $1 being available anytime soon either. It will most likely fail pretty hard, much like their Azure "cloud" offerings.

Edit: not that I think Win 8 so far is a worthwhile upgrade over Win 7 specifically (more like a suitable replacement on new PCs, if you can disable Metro). Hyper-V might be a "nice to have" thing but it'll never replace VMware Workstation/vSphere/ESXi for me, heat maps in task manager are nice but not a must have (I'll still use process explorer half the time anyway), mounting ISOs is nice too but daemon tools lite is free anyway (and works great still), which only leaves the few explorer enhancements (mainly for copying lots of large files at once, which you only do once in a while) for me, and I don't think those aren't worth $100+ per pc.

no, read what Sinofsky wrote:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/02/reflecting-on-our-first-conversations-part-2.aspx

We've seen some small amount of visceral feedback focused on "choice" or "disable" - a natural reaction to change

this says everything. Windows 8 = Metro Phone tablet touch UI!

And Hyper-V sucks compared to VMWare Player 4 (terrible guest UI performance because it only supports the software rendering WDDM driver) and it will be only part of Enterprise/Ultimate.

no, read what Sinofsky wrote

I'm not really reading the same thing as you in that sentence I guess. But his speech sure shows commitment to Metro overall. So long as there's a way to get rid of it, it'll be a decent OS (just not one upgrading to from Win 7). But if they make Windows Metro-only from now on, then I guess I have to ditch C# and start learning Objective C soon (and PowerShell -> BASH, etc)... That would be very sad, after being a user of MS products since MS-DOS 3.x!

If they end up making it Metro-only, the sales will be non-existent (unless you count those making use of the downgrade rights), and one can only hope that the shareholders will want the CEO's head on a platter and have someone else make things right.

And Hyper-V sucks compared to VMWare Player 4 (terrible guest UI performance because it only supports the software rendering WDDM driver) and it will be only part of Enterprise/Ultimate.

No idea if it's any good, I've never actually used it. I don't use VMWare Player either, but we have years of expertise and investment in VMWare's solutions: we've been using Workstation since ~forever (and we have a large-ish library of disk images in this format), we've used GSX in the past, now we're using vShpere (ESXi hypervisor) which is also the only solution consultants around here recommend and support (all that I've talked to recommend against Hyper-V) which is important to us. Add to that some experience with PowerCLI and also having done automation using the old COM-based scripting API (I've even used VmPerl a couple of times)... We're not about to throw all that away anytime soon, for a less mature, less complete platform that seemingly offers no real advantages in any way.