How can I get a PS/2 scrolling mouse to work in Windows 95?

ppgrainbow

Yes. I posted that when I was in a hurry :blushing:

NO prob whatsoever. :)

I'm glad this subject has come up however, and that you all seem to be finding other solutions besides IntelliPoint. I have been trying unsuccessfully to figure out how to "slipstream" Wheel Mouse support into my 95 project. I tried downversioned 98 files to no avail, and I tried to "rip" what I needed out of IntelliPoint but that doesn't work either. Maybe one of these other approaches could be used. :unsure:

Yep :thumbup , I only found this:

The only way to get a Scroll Wheel working in Windows 95 is to install Microsoft IntelliPoint 4.0.

a bit too apodictical for my tastes ;).

jaclaz

The only way to get a Scroll Wheel working in Windows 95 is to install Microsoft IntelliPoint 4.0.

I did install Microsoft IntelliPoint 4.01, selected the Wheel Mouse and I checked the Control Panel in the Mouse settings and it only detected it either a Microsoft Mouse or a Basic Mouse.

What could I be doing wrong here? :(

Update: I even tried out the Pilot Mouse Wheel Scroll v1.0 driver and it failed to detect the middle button mouse/scroll wheel. Speaking of the middle button mouse/scroll wheel, it's not a ordinary one. Instead of scrolling up and down with the wheel. Pressing the middle button up or down scrolls the page up or down.

If I didn't make any sense, let me know and I'll explain more.

Edited by ppgrainbow

Perhaps I am wrong but I think you may perhaps need a Microsoft IntelliMouse for it to work and not a generic 3-buttons mouse. I have vague memories of installing the Intellimouse about 10 years ago on my first PC, a P133 with win95 on it, and from the little I can recall it was just a big buggy mess after installing that. I can't remember whether I had an IntelliMouse, I don't think so, or even a 3-buttons mouse, all I remember is that I swore to myself never to install those drivers again.

IntelliPoint mouse software version 4.01 for Windows 95

IntelliPoint mouse software version 4.01 for for Windows 95 operating system, which must be installed to provide full functionality for certain Microsoft mouse models.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21020

Edited by loblo

You might also try the Kensington Mouseworks 5.61, the last version to support Win 95. I use v. 6.11 under 98SE and v. 6.22 under XP SP3, with a MS Intellimouse Optical 1.1, and never had any problem related to those drivers. And I consider them much better than MS IntelliPoint. Of course, YMMV, but you do have little to loose, at this point.

@ppgrainbow

Not to be more grumpy than usual (trying to as grumpy as usual ;)) BUT WHAT THE HECK are you doing?

I mean, your last post you were unable to install a new driver for the mouse due to a conflict of unknown nature, what happened next?

Can you see how between these:

For some reason, going into Safe Mode and attempting to remove the mice from the Device Manager didn't work. I got a error saying that the registry is corrupt and had to be restored from a good backup copy.

I did install Microsoft IntelliPoint 4.01, selected the Wheel Mouse and I checked the Control Panel in the Mouse settings and it only detected it either a Microsoft Mouse or a Basic Mouse.

SOmething must have happened or you may have somehow a "mixed set" of drivers installed. :ph34r:

Rest assured, you did NOT :whistle: :

Update: I even tried out the Pilot Mouse Wheel Scroll v1.0 driver and it failed to detect the middle button mouse/scroll wheel. Speaking of the middle button mouse/scroll wheel, it's not a ordinary one. Instead of scrolling up and down with the wheel. Pressing the middle button up or down scrolls the page up or down.

I am eager to understand how you can press a button up :w00t:

Have you got an actual picture of the actual Mitsumi mouse?

Is it like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MITSUMI-STANDARD-SCROLL-MOUSE-PS-2-NEW-free-shipping-/370122564086

jaclaz

Yep :thumbup , I only found this:

a bit too apodictical for my tastes ;).

I actually spent a fair amount of time researching it myself a while back. I didn't turn up any of these other solutions then; I guess my "Google-fu" isn't as good as yours :lol:

However, I was taking the approach that I wanted the wheel to be supported by a clean installation, out of the box, by the default driver.. as in 98; so I didn't look into the possibility of using a generic 3rd party driver. I tried using downversioned VXD's from 98 along with the INF file from 98 to no avail.

AFAICR at the moment, IntelliPoint loads different VXD's along with a file named MSWHEEL.DLL when installed in 95. Trying to manually install & register these files was unsuccessful. Even after IntelliPoint is installed, if one stops it's process from running in the background, the wheel stops working.

What could I be doing wrong here? :(

Hmmm... :unsure:

Well, I can't speak for this odd mouse you have, but I know IntelliPoint works perfectly for standard wheel mice. Does this mouse along with it's wheel/button/"slide" :blink: or whatever it is work out of the box in 98 WITHOUT installing its specific driver?

Edited by LoneCrusader

Well, I can't speak for this odd mouse you have, but I know IntelliPoint works perfectly for standard wheel mice. Does this mouse along with it's wheel/button/"slide" :blink: or whatever it is work out of the box in 98 WITHOUT installing its specific driver?

Yesterday, I had to switch PS/2 mice and Win2K detected the Mitsumi Standard Scroll Mouse out of the box and when I plugged in the old Hewlett Packard PS/2 wheel mouse onto the Tecra 720 CDT laptop, it wouldn't detect the scroll wheel. I installed IntelliPoint drivers (both version 4.01 and even version 2.2) and for some reason, it failed to detect the scroll wheel on the PS/2 mouse.

No matter how hard I try, Windows 95 would detect the driver as a standard PS/2 mouse and not a standard PS/2 wheel mouse.

As far as I know, the Tecra 720CDT laptop only has support for the AcuPoint Integrated mouse pointer and PS/2 mouse...and I've been thinking that the BIOS might not be capable of detecting the wheel on the PS/2 mouse.

I could be wrong.

Edit: Alright, I made little progress here. I reinstalled Microsoft IntelliPoint 4.01 and managed to get the mouse to detect it as a "Microsoft PS/2 Mouse with Wheel (Intellipoint)" and still in the Button settings, the device that is connected is still being detected as either a Microsoft Mouse or a Basic Mouse. However, when I reboot, Windows 95 keeps detecting the mouse as a Toshiba AcuPoint. What could be wrong here.

I've been trying to find registry keys and files that cause the Toshiba AcuPoint driver to be loaded all of the time, but it hasn't been any help either.

Edited by ppgrainbow

Is your Win 95 installed in a HDD partitioned as a single partition?

<< Warning: only proceed to try what I'm suggesting below after you understand fully the implications of doing it. Once started, there's no turning back! >> If so, save a full-disk image (not a common backup) of your current Win 95 installation, then wipe the partition, then reinstall Win 95 with no tweaks or configuring, just plain vanilla. Then add IntelliPoint 4.0, and let's see whether the wheel works or not. Then save a full-disk image of this plain vanilla setup. Then put back your original installation, by deploying the first image. At that point we'll be back to where we started, but much the wiser, and with a ready reference image to compare with your current one. Yes, it's a lot of work. But I think it's the best way to troubleshoot your issue.

Is your Win 95 installed in a HDD partitioned as a single partition?

<< Warning: only proceed to try what I'm suggesting below after you understand fully the implications of doing it. Once started, there's no turning back! >> If so, save a full-disk image (not a common backup) of your current Win 95 installation, then wipe the partition, then reinstall Win 95 with no tweaks or configuring, just plain vanilla. Then add IntelliPoint 4.0, and let's see whether the wheel works or not. Then save a full-disk image of this plain vanilla setup. Then put back your original installation, by deploying the first image. At that point we'll be back to where we started, but much the wiser, and with a ready reference image to compare with your current one. Yes, it's a lot of work. But I think it's the best way to troubleshoot your issue.

Yes. The drive is installed in a single partition. The old 1.2 GB hard drive is going to be replaced with a 4.3 GB version and I will most likely have to start over. The backup copy of the 1.2 GB hard disk is stored in a hard disk image under MK2720FC.vhd. Driver corruption problems causes a lot of problems lately. :(

If that still doesn't work, I don't know what to say.

Edited by ppgrainbow

Do create a second back-up image, just in case.

.vhd images are good in that they're browseable.

Then use something really hardcore to zero-up the partition: Active KillDisk!

They have a great DOS version with an interactive menu that allows very fine control. So you can just zero-up the partition.

Then proceed to the plain vanilla install, add IntelliPoint 4.0, and let's see what happens. :)

Good luck!

Do creat a second back-up image, just in case.

.vhd images are good in that they're browseable.

Then use something really hardcore to zero-up the partition: Active KillDisk!

They have a great DOS version with an interactive menu that allows very fine control. So you can just zero-up the partition.

Then proceed to the plain vanilla install, add IntelliPoint 4.0, and let's see what happens. :)

Good luck!

Alrighty. I'll probably use FDISK to delete the partition and recreate it. If I get the wheel mouse working, I'll let you know.

But I won't do that before I get the 1.2 GB hard drive replaced. :)

Edited by ppgrainbow

FDISK would delete the partition, but not zero it out. Killdisk can zero out the partition, without deletenig it. Deleting it, then recreating it to fill the full disk is pointless. All the data will stil remain there. Writing zeroes to all the sectors of the partition, on the other hand, will really clean it. That's what I think ought to be done. As to when, well, whenever it's best for you. There's really no hurry.

FDISK would delete the partition, but not zero it out. Killdisk can zero out the partition, without deletenig it. Deleting it, then recreating it to fill the full disk is pointless. All the data will stil remain there. Writing zeroes to all the sectors of the partition, on the other hand, will really clean it. That's what I think ought to be done. As to when, well, whenever it's best for you. There's really no hurry.

Alrighty. I'll think about zeroing out the partition completely.

Okay, folks! I think I found the problem and it's not related to operating systems at all...it's one of the settings in the BIOS setup! :lol:

If I press ESC or use a utility called TSETUP.EXE (which must be done from the MS-DOS prompt), it will take me into the CMOS setup. In the first page, there are features that will change how the laptop operates. In the OTHERS section under Pointing Devices, there are two options available:

1. Simultaneous

2. Auto-Selected

If I select Simultaneous, the Toshiba AccuPoint mouse is active along with the AccuPoint left (on the top) and right (below it) mouse buttons are active. However, this will disable the ability to use the scrolling feature on the PS/2 mouse. Thus, the Microsoft IntelliPoint 4.01 software treats the wheel mouse as a regular two button PS/2 mouse. :(

If I select Auto-Selected, I will not be able to use the eraser feature on the Toshiba AccuPoint mouse and its features. This causes the scroll mouse feature to work correctly.

Sadly, this is most likely a design limitation in Toshiba laptops from the mid-to-late 1990s. If I were to set the Pointing Device to Auto-Selected, I wished that I found a way to get the AccuPoint mouse working again. :(

Thoughts anyone?

Edited by ppgrainbow

Well, I'm happy you found the source of your problem! :yes:

Maybe there is some program to disable and/or reenable the AccuPoint from inside Win 95. Do search for it.

BTW, here's a pic of an AccuPoint mouse, FTW what does it look like (as I was until I found this pic).

post-134642-0-38672400-1322296753_thumb.