MDT 2010 packages issue

dreident

Hi All. Ive run into a problem installing some updates (packages) I got from WUD. This is what im using:

• MDT 2010 deploying win 7 sp1 vanilla (straight from MSDN)
  • WUD 2.50 w/ steven4554's update list for win 7

So this is what happens. I downloaded and imported only the critical and important updates into my mdt 2010 server as packages. During the deployment I get a "failed ti install package from source ..." in my cbs_unattend.log. Ive tried excluding the offending package but it just fails on another. Anyone have an Idea whats going on?

Ive gone back and tried to install all the critical and important updates manually on a fresh win 7 ent x64 vm. Some failed (mainly said not needed). Ive excluded those and tried to run the deploy again. Same thing. Deploy works fine if I disable the updates.

Hmmm. Could you zip up and attach your cbs.log from right after an install where this fails? In general, I'm not a fan of using the Packages node to install updates in MDT 2010, as it doesn't always work.... I generally recommend WSUS and the built-in Windows Update tasks.

Patching your image is ending up with packages having issues updating the WinSXS folder structure, and ultimately failing with E_ACCESSDENIED. What happens if, for instance, you simply download KB2487335, place it (and only it) in the Updates folder, and attempt to re-deploy your WIM file (so it should be pushing the Win7 SP1 image from the MSDN source with only that package) using a new stock task sequence with no changes whatsoever?

Ive tried deploying again with just KB2487335 imported into mdt packages and it worked (Log attached). Checked the installed updates and KB2487335 is there along with two others (pic attached) I used my regular deploy task sequence that is mainly stock except for a script that creates addition local user accounts. Also im using a vanilla imported win 7 sp1 iamge, not a packaed msi. eg: I mounted the iso that i got from msdn, imported it into the deployment share, i can see the files just sitting in the operating systems folder in the dep share.

CBS.log.zip

post-337595-0-75305900-1322086958_thumb.

Interesting. Could be a package incompat issue (using packages just applies all packages offline and lets the OS decide during specialize which updates to apply and which to discard). You will want to start by checking each package in your list and make sure you're not applying packages that update the same files, or switch to online package updating with WSUS.

Yeah I was afraid that was the case. Even though I did stand up a vm w/ win 7 sp1 and checked every update like I said in a previous post. Im just trying to avoid the long post install windows update or even wsus. Id rather just drop the updates in mdt as I need them instead of having to manage another server. Thanks for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you by chance have KB2533552 imported?

I am using W7 SP1 media and had to deploy to a VM using 2-5 package enabled at a time to troubleshoot the issue I was having.

I disabled the KB listed and no longer have issues with packages (49 at the moment).

I just tried it again by re downloading the updates (excluding KB2533552 and the other greyed out ones, pics attached) and importing them as update packages in my mdt svr. I get the same problem.

post-337595-0-62474700-1323281192_thumb.

post-337595-0-31995300-1323281199_thumb.

post-337595-0-56362500-1323281209_thumb.

post-337595-0-86722900-1323281217_thumb.