0x7B BSOD - Help!

nickster

Hi..

i'm rapidly losing the will to live here and would appreciate some help.

I decided to make a new XP installation disc but i'm having trouble getting it installed due to 0x7b BSODs during the setup.

I'm confused as to why this is happening as I am integrating the AHCI drivers with nLite using the text mode installation method and using the specific driver for my board (Asus P5K-E WiFi - iaAHCI_ICH9RDODH). My BIOS settings are also set to AHCI

I read somewhere that it may be due to having 4GBs RAM installed when running the installation so I have removed 2GBs but the problem persists.

If someone could suggest something to try, I would be extremely grateful. Installing the images on a virtual machine works without any problems but each disc I burn results in the stop error.

Thanks,

Was the txtsetup.oem file in the folder with the drivers and did you select txtmode setup???

Thank you for the reply.

Yes....along with the following files:

iaahci.cat

iaAHCI.inf

iastor.cat

iaStor.inf

IaStor.sys

Txtsetup.oem

I've tried multiple versions of Intel's Matrix Storage Manager and Rapid Storage Technology...although only one per image I have made. I'm definitely selecting the right textmode version (ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller) as per my mobo. I've even selected all the items on the list on one attempt but no joy.

It didn't work but thanks anyway.

I'm truly stumped for answers now. When XP starts to load the setup files, I can clearly see the ICH9R controller being loaded but the BSOD still occurs:

0X0000007B (0XF7C7A524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I did however find an old XP SP3 disc which I had integrated AHCI drivers on but no other changes. That disc worked fine so I had the bright idea of copying the files to a hard disk then adding update pack, drivers and tweaks with nlite. BSOD again! Yet again, I can see the ICH9R controller being loaded before the stop error.

It seems something is screwing up the nLite process. I've even tried adding the updates and addons with RVM's Intergrater then modding with nLite but BSOD again.

Think i'll just try taking nLite out of the equation and just add the update pack and addons with RVMi, create the iso and burn. There's no point me testing on a VM as every single previous image has installed fine on a VM but then proceeded to give me a BSOD when installing via cd.

I'm booting from a SATA optical drive.

The BSOD occurs just after setup has finished loading files....at the bottom of the screen it says 'Setup is starting Windows' then slight pause and BSOD. So on an unmodified disc, it would be just before the press F8 to accept the agreement and if it's an unattended install, before you select the drive to install Windows to.

I've made some progress though....am doing things a little differently now but it seems to be working so far.

I've decided to ditch nLite for driver integration as it is somehow screwing things up. I'm now using RVMi to add OnePiece's update pack and some AddOns, then nLite for setting up unattended, tweaks as well as removing components etc. Then I use DriverPacks to slip the drivers in. The first disc I made worked like a charm, but it was nearly 800mbs so had to be burnt to DVD. I've just made another with my own third party driver pack so it all fits on a CD. Just about to test it :)

Edited by nickster

If you got the BSOD prior to text mode (as it sounds) that means you need to add the mass storage drivers to the CD itself, in addition to the OS files it installs. However, I'm thinking you have an old version of XP that you started from perhaps. I've only encountered this problem you describe when trying to install XP Embedded on a RAID volume. I cheaped out and used a USB DVD to do the install so I never really figured it out... then again XPe does work a little differently than regular XP. :blushing: