Mental Disorder and Stigma

FlierMate

I am curious, apart from Malaysia and China, how would the public from the rest of the worldd view those mentally ill, especially in developed lands?

In China, as from what I understood from the schizophrenic over there, unemployment among the mentally ill are high, and to my surprise, employers list NO mentally disabled as one of the criteria in their job ads! I am surprise because it does not, al least until now, happen in my mother country, Malaysia.

I don't know which is better either. But I presume that China's blunt, "heartless" method probably saves everyone's time, if nothing else. Think about it, you never have to apply to the same place twice.

Think of all the wasted effort that people put into things in America. If only they knew that they were ugly, unattractive, and creepy looking, they might stop trying to get a job working with the public. Instead, they'd be more suited to Janitor, or Garbage Man, or Septic Tank pumper. Or ditch digger. Or dish washer. Or guinea pig for the drug companies.

^ I'd take any of those jobs in a heartbeat however, except drug company "guinea pig".

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

I don't know which is better either. But I presume that China's blunt, "heartless" method probably saves everyone's time, if nothing else. Think about it, you never have to apply to the same place twice.

Maybe with the populous citizens in China, employers can easily seek for suitable candidates.

Think of all the wasted effort that people put into things in America. If only they knew that they were ugly, unattractive, and creepy looking, they might stop trying to get a job working with the public. Instead, they'd be more suited to Janitor, or Garbage Man, or Septic Tank pumper. Or ditch digger. Or dish washer. Or guinea pig for the drug companies.

It is quite true. I think it is not about honesty under such circumstances, it is more about a friendlier approach.

^ I'd take any of those jobs in a heartbeat however, except drug company "guinea pig".

Do you mean volunteers who are paid to try out new drugs?

I cannot really see the connection between a mentally ill and his/her looks. :unsure:

We can't tell one's mental condition from his or her looks unless odd behaviour or disorganized speech is observed.

For your information, I am one of them. :blushing:

For your information, I am one of them. :blushing:

You mean a mentally affected or the "ugly, unattractive, and creepy looking" Screwupgrading was talking about?

Also, "mental condition" may mean everything and the opposite of it.

And NO, I don't want to know which particular illness (being it mental or physical) you might be suffering from, I don't think this (MSFN) is the right place to talk about such conditions.

jaclaz

I never said all people with mental disorders are ugly.

I was merely suggesting that Americans are more prone to blind optimism and self-delusion in regards to their lot in life. Whereas in China, they blatantly discriminate against anyone perceived as being "different" or "mentally ill."

I probably should've worded that differently.

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

I never said all people with mental disorders are ugly.

I was merely suggesting that Americans are more prone to blind optimism and self-delusion in regards to their lot in life. Whereas in China, they blatantly discriminate against anyone perceived as being "different" or "mentally ill."

I probably should've worded that differently.

I see the connection behind it. I did not misunderstand your words.

May I share your comments with that schizophrenic message board in China? They are going to set up an English message board so that we (just like this thread) can exchange information about mental disorders. Your view is valuable to me from the perspective of the society with diverse backgrounds just like America.

I really am glad that you share this with me (and with us, later on) :)

Sure, go ahead.

Just let me add a little disclaimer: I'm not a doctor. My opinion is my own and not anybody else's here at MSFN. I don't represent MSFN.

Consult your doctor if you have real medical problems.

(There, just some legal mumbo jumbo to stop the lawyers.)

Thank you, ScrewUpgrading.

You are so humorous.