Start Menu most often used programs

Tripredacus

Do you think it would be possible to either allow CHMs to appear in the Windows 7 Start Menu, or the application used to launch CHMs with an expandable arrow? I know that by default, only executables will show up in the "most used" portion of the start menu, but I open CHMs a lot and it would be great to have them show up too. :unsure:

Do you think it would be possible to either allow CHMs to appear in the Windows 7 Start Menu, or the application used to launch CHMs with an expandable arrow? I know that by default, only executables will show up in the "most used" portion of the start menu, but I open CHMs a lot and it would be great to have them show up too. :unsure:

Interesting question. I rigged up a shortcut explicitly calling HH.EXE but it didn't show up in the last used program set at all. I'm guessing there's some kind of exception set somewhere...

Edit: Though you could pin the shortcut to the Start Menu and have it show up there and not in the "most often used" section...

Edited by Glenn9999

hmm , hh.exe is on the exclusion list for start menu

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd378459(v=VS.85).aspx#exclusion_lists

Not sure how the the override this, maybe just make a copy of hh.exe to hh2.exe and change file association :unsure:

Of course there have to be a .lnk file inside start menu that has hh2.exe as targetpath.

hmm , hh.exe is on the exclusion list for start menu

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd378459(v=VS.85).aspx#exclusion_lists

Not sure how the the override this, maybe just make a copy of hh.exe to hh2.exe and change file association :unsure:

Of course there have to be a .lnk file inside start menu that has hh2.exe as targetpath.

Well seeing as how hh.exe is not present in either of those registry methods, I can only imagine that it is coded within the application, as the second method suggests. That is, unless its presence on the exclusion list is kept elsewhere besides those two registry locations... If it is coded into the application, then creating a duplicate with a different file name wouldn't make a difference. I'll try it out tho and see what happens.

Well it seemed like a good idea, except Windows won't let me do anything inside the default Start Menu (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs) besides create folders. Creating a shortcut (or even a txt file) just isn't an option...

Edited by Tripredacus

Properly UAC prevent creation files in all user start menu.

Seems renaming hh.exe does not "unblock" it

I just put a shortcut to xchm.exe inside %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and have expandable arrow now for help files.

Edited by JFX

That is an interesting program, however I tested it out on some CHMs I have and some of the formatting is missing that makes certain parts easier to read. I will look further into the hh.exe angle.

Ugg this was way too simple... I copied hh.exe from c:\windows to c:\intel. I renamed it hh2.exe. I can then pin hh2.exe to the start menu. Then change file association for .chm to c:\intel\hh2.exe. :thumbup

Edited by Tripredacus