Booting suddenly very slow and random freezing

Just wanted to give an update, may help someone else. Booted through ubcd type CD, ran DriveImage XML and took image. It gave some i/o device errors but I took the backup. Dell replaced the hdd and their technician came and installed the original Windows 7 instal which was of no use really. Requested him to let me keep original hdd for few days and he agreed, called up to record this.

I restored the image of my damaged hdd and to my surprise it worked. So I got all my software back without reinstall or reactivation. Ran Sfc and only problem was with tcpmon.ini file. Restored as much data as possible from old disk and whatever was not possible due to bad sector, got from backup. "Another robocopy GUI" is great for such purposes add it maintains original folder timestamps.

Then came part about destroying data on damaged disk. Tried many tools like dban, wd lifeguard, mhdd etc but everything got stuck or slowed at bad sector. Spent a number of days in this. Finally shred command in Linux worked non-stop. Unfortunately by the time I reached half Dell technician came to collect the hdd. Was not able to check if recovery was possible or not, hope not.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk

Have logged complaint with Dell and they are going to send new HDD.
their technician came and installed the original Windows 7......Dell technician came to collect the hdd

How did this move from a call where they send a new HDD, to one where a tech comes and installs windows 7 on the new drive, then a few days later returns for the old drive? That is some **** serious RMA service in India.

Have logged complaint with Dell and they are going to send new HDD.
their technician came and installed the original Windows 7......Dell technician came to collect the hdd

How did this move from a call where they send a new HDD, to one where a tech comes and installs windows 7 on the new drive, then a few days later returns for the old drive? That is some **** serious RMA service in India.

They do send a new hdd with their delivery person but the tech also comes for instal :). However he just installs the initial factory setup which is of no use.

The hard drive is later picked up by delivery person.

I think lot of people in India would not be capable of restoring the laptop to factory state even with written instructions. Most are used to "free software" and getting work done by some local computer guy.

ok, so replace the HDD and you're fine again.

How do I clone this disc and then erase it securely (I have posted in separate thread)

I have faced this problem personally & also have fixed. If you are using Seagate HDD then you will have to download the utility "Sea Tools For DOS". It is an iso image. Burn this image on CD and boot your PC from that CD. There will be an option in Advance tab "Full Erase" select that option after taking backup of your HDD. After completing if any Bad sector found then you will have to select the option "Remove this and all remaining" then select another option "Erase Track Zero" and then your Hard disk would be completely fixed from all kind of Bad sectors and MBR issues.

Now Insert XP CD, and when it initialize, press F6 option to install your latest SATA\ATA motherboard drivers.

Now you are completely free to install OS and i assure you that you will never face these kind of problems again.

• 2 weeks later...

Newest on slow start up with Windows 7 64 bit. Seems this problem occurs when there are more than a given number "X" of USB devices plugged in at startup. Has something to do with Win 7 getting hung up in some kind of a loop because it doesn't want to see all that start up stuff. Solution is easy. Unplug all your USB stuff, reboot and it will run like F A S T. Then plug your USB stuff back in and go. I'm told by my guhru that the next Windows 7 "fix" should take care of the problem. Works like a charm for me--hope it helps you.

View more at: http://www.techyv.com/questions/makes-my-computer-startup-very-slow

I have a Dell Studio 1555 laptop with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Since a week suddenly the boot times have increased a lot. Even during running the computer freezes at times and then comes back to normal.

I have removed temp files, removed firewall software, scanned for virus and malware but no difference. Removed each ram one by one (2x2Gb) and checked but no change. The event viewer does not load at times and when it does or shows some errors in system log at boot up. The errors seem to be different each time. Still have some doubt on ram.

Some more problems noticed:

1) Tried to run SFC /scannow. It went upto 14% and then said something like Windows Protection failed or some error, basically would not go further, tried twice.

2) Did chkdsk with fix errors on C: and it ran on boot and fixed few things, but performance still same.

3) Tried do do system restore from "Windows Recovery" option as well as from within windows. From "Recovery options" I got error some message like "Instructions at ....... referenced memory at ........... Memory could not be read". From within windows the system restore gaver Error 0x80070570, files/directory corrupted. Have only 1 restore point, old ones were deleted to make space on c:.

4) Event log viewer sometimes does not open, says service is not running.

5) Read on some forum that user profile may be corrupt so made a new profile and logged on, same problems.

Newest on slow start up with Windows 7 64 bit. Seems this problem occurs when there are more than a given number "X" of USB devices plugged in at startup. Has something to do with Win 7 getting hung up in some kind of a loop because it doesn't want to see all that start up stuff. Solution is easy. Unplug all your USB stuff, reboot and it will run like F A S T. Then plug your USB stuff back in and go. I'm told by my guhru that the next Windows 7 "fix" should take care of the problem. Works like a charm for me--hope it helps you.

View more at: http://www.techyv.com/questions/makes-my-computer-startup-very-slow

I have a Dell Studio 1555 laptop with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Since a week suddenly the boot times have increased a lot. Even during running the computer freezes at times and then comes back to normal.

I have removed temp files, removed firewall software, scanned for virus and malware but no difference. Removed each ram one by one (2x2Gb) and checked but no change. The event viewer does not load at times and when it does or shows some errors in system log at boot up. The errors seem to be different each time. Still have some doubt on ram.

Some more problems noticed:

1) Tried to run SFC /scannow. It went upto 14% and then said something like Windows Protection failed or some error, basically would not go further, tried twice.

2) Did chkdsk with fix errors on C: and it ran on boot and fixed few things, but performance still same.

3) Tried do do system restore from "Windows Recovery" option as well as from within windows. From "Recovery options" I got error some message like "Instructions at ....... referenced memory at ........... Memory could not be read". From within windows the system restore gaver Error 0x80070570, files/directory corrupted. Have only 1 restore point, old ones were deleted to make space on c:.

4) Event log viewer sometimes does not open, says service is not running.

5) Read on some forum that user profile may be corrupt so made a new profile and logged on, same problems.

As you can read in my earlier post the problem is solved. Thank for the suggestions anyway.