windows 98 is abandoned

kdsg

we need to create a new installer for windows 98, to solve the problem of more than 512 of ram without editing any file,integrate win95 explorer with another shell,USB support,windows updates,freedos files,ntfs driver,48-bit lba,scandisk from winme..., all automatically

windows 98 is abandoned, the problem is no exist any distribution of windows 98 for all world

the appearance of windows 98 is horrible,need to change ALL appearance

And is probably gonna stay that way.

Many of the Gurus round here has gone, but we still have a few left.

I'm trying my best to get us an fully updated SP, but due to lack of tester, I don't think its gonna get where it needs to be.

Once I get all of the Windows Updates included in the SP, I'm going to customize it with all of my software.

What you're asking for is a package with everything -- EVERYTHING...

That's great, in a perfect world. But where we are, it doesn't quite work out that way. I do hope you realize what you're asking for. Having everything includes everything else... things you may not want, and problems you do not want. Even Windows 2000 doesn't have an everything installer, and neither does Windows XP, despite having much larger communities.

we need to create a new installer for windows 98, to solve the problem of more than 512 of ram without editing any file,integrate win95 explorer with another shell,USB support,windows updates,freedos files,ntfs driver,48-bit lba,scandisk from winme..., all automatically

windows 98 is abandoned, the problem is no exist any distribution of windows 98 for all world

I do not understand your post. If you ask why answer is:

You can still buy Windows 98 SE on if nothing else ebay,

You can still buy new MBO and GPU with full official Windows 98 SE support,

and for the end I want only to add that Windows 98 SE is working without problem with 1 GB RAM and 256 MB GPU

Most of the worlds users don't want 98 any more. Most of those who have recognized just how good of an OS it can be tend to be here and a few other sites. It's basically pointless to make an install package that you describe. Except for individuals who have released upgrades for 98, it is an unsupported OS, meaning that the user has to provide all of its support. That will include editing , replacing, and modifying files. In order to keep 98 viable, the user has to know how to do these things.

Much of the rest of what you list is optional. Myself, I don't want the 95 shell. I like single click. As for the rest of its appearance, I think it looks fine, which is more than I can say for the playschool interface in the newer versions of Windows. Besides, it's easy to alter with Revolutions Pack. Items like Windows update are useless now. Even with the system components, there's big variation in what each user needs. Some of us run 98Lite and don't need or want updated Internet Explorer components.

if people do not use windows 98 there is less official support,

Windows 98 is a great operating system,but need more people and developers

people using windows 98 is very low compared to linux

one reason why Windows XP is still alive is because of people who use it.

if people do not use windows 98 there is less official support,

There is no official support now. That ended quite a while ago. Everything here is unofficial.

Windows 98 is a great operating system,but need more people and developers

With the right upgrades and the garbage removed, running on decent hardware, 98 is an excellent OS. Out of the box on its default settings, it's an unreliable and insecure mess. Yes, a large part of that was due to the weak hardware it usually came with, but a lot of its problems were caused by Internet Explorer. Get rid of IE and 98 becomes a lot better system. IMO, the fewer MS components and apps it contains, the better 98 gets. When I first started using 98 with IE6 and a standard AV based security suite, its usable uptime was a few hours after which it became unstable. When I got rid of that security suite and used Mozilla instead of IE6, the uptime increased to 3-4 days. Stripping out IE completely and switching to a default-deny based security package raised the usable uptime to 2 weeks or better, depending on how hard I used it. Since I installed the unofficial upgrades found here, 98s usability has increased again. What its limits are now, I don't know. ATM, I'm testing how long 98 will hold up running Tor as an exit node. It's been holding up very well, especially when compared to other exit nodes running Windows. If it wasn't for Revolutions Pack, it would have never handled the connection load. Without Kernel Ex, it wouldn't even run the Vidalia component. Their work made it possible.

one reason why Windows XP is still alive is because of people who use it.

98 has gone down this road too. Microsoft dropped support, then reinstated it due to the number of users still running it. Eventually they dropped it again. XP is following 98 down this same road. It's ironic when you think about it. A few years back, XP users were telling me I had to "get with the times" and spouting all the usual rhetoric. Now some of those same users are turning to the few 98 users that are left, wanting to know how we deal with planned obsolescense. The only real difference is that there's more XP users, and that's because more people have PCs than they did in the 9X days. This is and will continue to be a repeating story for Windows users. When Microsoft decides to release another OS, it will do everything it can to make it hard to stay with the earlier version, including coercing vendors and manufacturers to make their wares incompatible. That's the price we pay for using Windows.

• 2 weeks later...

I, for one, still have a need for a fully patched and fully upgraded through non-MS ways install of 98SE.

It would be groovy to have full internet support (circa 2010, not circa 2001), but not really needed.

It would be awesome to have the KernelEx thingie on it, too.

Anti-virus is totally un-needed, unless circa 2010 internet is possible (Flash, proper Java)

Networking components MUST work. Ability to jack in a Vista/7 laptop on the network without issues would be the best thing since sliced bread for me.

Ability to utilize more than a gig of ram... full color and resolution support (wasn't there a Universal VESA driver at some point? don't newer GFX cards still support VESA?), USB support (Maximus Decim?), etc.

I have machines used in production environments that require true DOS and Windows 9x support. Don't say "Upgrade", cuz that ain't an option unless you got a couple hundred thousand dollars to donate.

Just ran into the first problem in the last 10 years... hard drive failed. New drive is 80gigs... made a thread about my issues... look for it near the top of this forum.

If someone could provide COMPLETE instructions as well as WORKING LINKS to all files (MDGX site is great, but no real tutorials for each package) I would be more than happy to bundle everything.

I've tried to create my own Live CDs... but they all fail when 'detecting hardware'. Followed guides on this site using WinBuilder, still flops.

Keep 98 alive no matter what. Last great OS you can completely utterly control.

And, Yes. I am a control freak.

:D

If someone could provide COMPLETE instructions as well as WORKING LINKS to all files (MDGX site is great, but no real tutorials for each package) I would be more than happy to bundle everything.
Why? There are several pre-packaged packages. All are also listed (links to the MSFN topics AND direct links to the packages).

Most components placed in said packages have come from either MDGX and/or MS directly and/or MSFN. Newer/other/additional components can be found within the Stickies or the links therein.

Have you tried the 98SE AutoPatcher (most "patches" are in their original form) or SP2/SP3 packages? (bet ya haven't... ;)) All you need to "modify" them is the knowledge of how the "package" is created (that is if you REALLY want to mod them).

P.S. The said "packages" are nearly all-inclusive (or even all-inclusive) of the last available patches for 98SE. Do check them out before starting yet another project, unless you have a better way.

P.P.S. - Sir DeadDude... I noticed several other topics in which you simply need to follow the instructions OR dig into the MSFN forums. Everything you need is here... (no offense intended...)

Edited by submix8c

And is probably gonna stay that way.

Many of the Gurus round here has gone, but we still have a few left.

I'm trying my best to get us an fully updated SP, but due to lack of tester, I don't think its gonna get where it needs to be.

Once I get all of the Windows Updates included in the SP, I'm going to customize it with all of my software.

Great! If so, please make the IO.SYS update optional, as the last MS version still has nasty bugs.

Joe.

Great! If so, please make the IO.SYS update optional, as the last MS version still has nasty bugs.

Joe.

I'm not using the original Mircrosoft version. The one included in the SP3,

I patched with all of the combinations below :thumbup Thanks to all of you.

http://home.exetel.com.au/phelum/w98.htm

http://www.geocities.ws/j_ds_au/general.html

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Joe.

I'm not using the original Mircrosoft version. The one included in the SP3,

I patched with all of the combinations below :thumbup Thanks to all of you.

http://home.exetel.com.au/phelum/w98.htm

http://www.geocities.ws/j_ds_au/general.html

OK, as long as you've done this in the sequence indicated above. One of Steven/phelum's patches can cause problems, but my version of his patches will correct (reverse) this.

Joe.

Edited by jds