Can you use KernelEx to fool your ISP?

For example, NetZero.

If you're on dial-up they require that you install their stupid software in order to connect to the internet. You cannot simply type a phone number and password into Dial-up Networking and get online.

So, I'm wondering, when these companies stop offering support for Win9x (whether it's for dial-up, DSL, or whatever), would it be possible to install their application and fool it with Kernel-Ex. You know, get it set up using Windows XP or Win2k SP4 mode?

I'm just thinking ahead to the eventual day when they drop Win9x.

Has anybody tried ordering a setup CD from an internet service provider that they know DOESN'T support Win9x, but tried using KernelEx to see if it works anyway? That's what I'm curious about. I might actually try that myself.

Would there be a way to fool NetZero into thinking my OS was Windows XP, when in fact it was Windows ME or 98 or whatever.

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

If the program installs using KernelEx (most of the time you don't need to set a specific compatibility),

I would be surprised if your ISP care of what OS you are using (they get their money, after all).

Only if the KernelEx' default compatibility mode is not working, you should try in a specific one.

Another option could be to send a spoofed identity from your browser.

I don't think they can know more... :whistle:

A lot of the software these discount access companies want to force on you is adware or spyware. The best solution is to find a real service provider and avoid those guys. Beyond that, it might be possible to unpack their sofware and get the settings out of it or selectively block the adware if they're separate installers with classic HIPS, but doing so will violate the user agreement between that's part of their package. Disgusting as the practice of bundling adware with internet access disks might be, this forum wouldn't allow the posting of any methods that described how to circumvent it. Regarding KernelEx, it hasvery little to do with 98 not having the ability to access the internet. It's almost totally compatibility with their undesirable software. A Linux or BSD user would have the same problem with those companies.

edit.

Until a short time ago, dial up internet access could be obtained around here from the local public library. The service had a connection time limit but for dialup was pretty reliable and fairly fast, at half the price of NetZero. Might be worth a look. Also check this site out.

http://www.freedomlist.com/ Also their forum.

If there's cheap access nearby, they probably know about it.

Edited by herbalist

ScrewUpgrading, FWIW, a few years ago a friend of mine was wanting a dial-up ISP, I help him decide on Basic ISP, part of the reason being that they did not require any special software to connect:

http://www.basicisp.net/

I'd suggest reading over their terms and, obviously, checking if they have a number that's local for you.

Edit: There's also 550 access: http://www.550access.com/

Edited by Steven W

• 3 weeks later...

You might try toast.net. When I had them a couple of years ago, they were very good. Avoid anyone who wants to install on your machine...as others have said.

These companies just purchase time from modem banks, I think the actual equipment is owned by your phone company. I would guess that somebody besides netzero bought access to your area, unless of course nz negotiated an exclusive contract.

If there is cable out there, and you call your local rep ( not the central office), they might hook you up for $25, real broadband plus basic tv access. That's what I have now.