RE: Clarification for CPU/motherboard

trimis

Listings given are member-contributed based on their own testing/experience.

Try it and if it works, then you say so in the relevant thread (this/your topic doesn't explain which thread you refer to) . Include any "problem areas" you may have experienced.

edit - I assume you refer to this thread...

Edited by submix8c

The list on this thread is just a list of 'tested' CPU but yours should work fine. AFAIK, no one has ever found a modern CPU not working with Win98 SE / Me.

Just remember that win9x will only use one core from your Phenom.

The list on this thread is just a list of 'tested' CPU but yours should work fine. AFAIK, no one has ever found a modern CPU not working with Win98 SE / Me.

CPU is never problem, but real problem is MBO.

From MBO documentation strongest CPU which is working with Windows 98 SE is:

Phenom II X4 3500MHz

which if we can believe to AsRock will work in combination with AM2NF3-VSTA. and 16 GB RAM (limited by user to 1 GB in Windows 98)

• 2 weeks later...

CPU is never problem, but real problem is MBO.

From MBO documentation strongest CPU which is working with Windows 98 SE is:

Phenom II X4 3500MHz

which if we can believe to AsRock will work in combination with AM2NF3-VSTA. and 16 GB RAM (limited by user to 1 GB in Windows 98)

Excellent! I'm hoping to only buy either Gigabyte 'DualBIOS' or Asus 'Diehard BIOS' motherboard...do you know if any of these will work with Phenom II X4 3500MHz, and keep Windows 98 happy.

Excellent! I'm hoping to only buy either Gigabyte 'DualBIOS' or Asus 'Diehard BIOS' motherboard...do you know if any of these will work with Phenom II X4 3500MHz, and keep Windows 98 happy.

Short version NO, long version maybe,maybe, maybe something similar created around intel chipset P31, P43, G43, Q43 can work using user made drivers of our Czech friend, but there is no warranty.

It is end of 2011. We are not in position to choose MBO for our Windows 98 SE computer !?

Listings given are member-contributed based on their own testing/experience.

Try it and if it works, then you say so in the relevant thread (this/your topic doesn't explain which thread you refer to) . Include any "problem areas" you may have experienced.

edit - I assume you refer to this thread...

Sorry, but the try it and see approach is not a good option. Doing a custom-build, and once its done, its finished for better or worse (i.e. no switching parts, upgrades, etc.), so either OS works or it gets left behind...but trying my best to pick hardware that will work.

Yes, that's the link I was referring to; is there any similar link for Windows 2000 Professional (workstation) hardware? Would like to include that OS in build as well.

Short version NO, long version maybe,maybe, maybe something similar created around intel chipset P31, P43, G43, Q43 can work using user made drivers of our Czech friend, but there is no warranty.

It is end of 2011. We are not in position to choose MBO for our Windows 98 SE computer !?

Many thanks for the tip! I'll Google the chipsets then check Gigabyte site that list all their DualBIOS boards. Unfortunately, Asus don't seem to have any list of their DieHard BIOS boards, so may have to skip that brand.