Setup Freezes at First Login (t=0)

I have an XP setup disk that I have built by continually integrating hotfixes into my i386 directory. I am doing it this way, because I have programs that will not run if I use some integrator (nLite, Ryan). Recently, after adding the last three months of updates, the build will no longer completely finish the setup without a power down and restart at t=0 (just before first login, or just before RunOnceEx is executed). It goes through its last reboot, and freezes at the WindowsXP logo screen with "Please wait..." below the logo.

Because I have been directly integrating into my i386 directory, I now have 139 catalog files in my svcpack directory. I've heard that XP has a problem when there is a large number of catalog files in the svcpack directory. I heard that the magic number was 150, but maybe the amount is even less than 150.

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this issue and if there was any work-a-round. The signing policy in my WINNT.SIF is set to "IGNORE".

For the install, the setuperr.log has nothing in it (no errors). The setup actually completes with no other problems, if I powerdown the machine and restart. I just want to have a completely unattended install.

When you power down the machine and restart does it go through the out-of-box experience (OOBE) or does it go straight to the desktop or log in screen?

OOBE start...

Edited by -X-

When you power down the machine and restart does it go through the out-of-box experience (OOBE) or does it go straight to the desktop or log in screen?

It goes straight to the desktop (I've pre-entered quite a few registry settings). The Windows Activation icon is in the Taskbar tray.

OK. Sounds like something is definitely wrong with OOBE.

See if system32\oobe\images\intro.wmv and system32\oobe\images\title.wma play.